Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

I watched limitless for like the 6th time. I love that movie. It's one of those movies which allows you to imagine "what if", and since I spend most of my time dreaming, that's right up my alley.

Yep it seems like a very self gratuitous movie.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Now You See Me. Loved it while watching it but the plot really falls apart when I think about it afterwards. It did pull a trick on me, I figured out what the twist was, but I thought it applied to the wrong character.

Did you see the short scene in the end credits as well?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Star Trek: Nemesis

Take that, Scimitar! You just been falcon-punched by the Enterprise E, bitch!!

I don't get why a clone raised amongst Remans that rose up to lead Romulan society, would name his flagship after a middle eastern earth weapon.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Departed.

Probably the 7th time I've seen this.

You should see the Infernal Affairs trilogy that The Departed was based on. Departed was a good film but it was a hatchet job compared the source material which were so well made and are some of the best movies I have ever seen. Part 1 will be basically the same, still worth watching for context but parts 2 and 3 were more or less untouched and part 2 especially is my favourite film of all time. 

I've watched them and they are indeed great.

Star Trek: Nemesis

Take that, Scimitar! You just been falcon-punched by the Enterprise E, bitch!!

I don't get why a clone raised amongst Remans that rose up to lead Romulan society, would name his flagship after a middle eastern earth weapon.

Linguistic coincidence?  Translation convenience?  Sloppy writing?

Lets see, since last I posted here I watched -

HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS - made with the original cast from the show, directed by the creator of the show.  But its more mid-60s Hammer Vampire film than Dark Shadows film; Barnabas never makes it to tortured hero and instead kills most of his relatives.

NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS - you can tell the film is heavily edited (music cuts jarringly) and yet this story, or a man being tempted by a dead witch who is also trying to bring herself back to life works so much better than the first film.

TIM BURTON'S DARK SHADOWS - more like the first HOUSE film than the TV series with a number of direct parallels; the big difference is they split HOUSE's villain Barnabas into good guy (although not as tortured) and bringing in TV villain Angelique to play the villain role out to destroy the family.  Lots of good stuff marred by some really bad/inexplicable things (like Dr. Hoffman going down on Barnabas).

MONSTERS UNIVERSITY - I probably liked it better than the first film.  Very enjoyable look at College Life.

HOCUS POCUS - Disney does witches.  Pretty fun, but what was up on the stressing at every opportunity the lead characters virginity?  And why do the bullies steal his shoes but not his bike?  And why does Kathy Najimay think gurning was good characterization?  Still it was fun.

RETURN OF THE MOD SQUAD - one of the earliest reunion movies, Pete, Julie and Linc come back to help their former Captain after someone tries to kill him.  Lots of guest stars and the leads still have the same chemistry they had on the series.

THE NAKED JUNGLE - Charlton Heston brings a mail-order bride to his Peruvian plantation where they end up fighting rampaging Army Ants that eat everything in their path.  Part romance, part base under seige film.  I enjoyed it after not having seen it for a decade or two.

PANDORUM - enjoyable sci-fi horror film about a colony ship plagued by mutated cannibal creatures.  I'd forgotten much of what happened.  Not perfect, there are a few nagging questions, but I thought it fun.

CARS 2 - goofy sequel to the original and a fun riff on spy cliches.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I like Neeson as the cop.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

^ I'm totally digging the humor in the new Lego movie.

Screw you adulthood - watching Big..

Funny how you totally memorize movies you see when you're a kid, it's like I know all the lines and I've only seen it twice.

Fortune favors the bald.

Set up to watch the extended edition of The Hobbit. It's a 3-disc set (the film is only on one, yay) with the same parchment color discs as the EE's of LOTR and new Appendices (no. 7 & 8 ) to match. No super-foldy cardboard this time, but again the rare black case for the blu-ray. A bargain, too, at twenty bones. This version ... will kick ass. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Captain Phillips - Good movie. Hanks and the lead pirate did well.  That said, if their goal in this movie was to make feel empathy or sympathy for the pirates - major fail. 8/10

I never bought the 2nd in command as 2nd in command - the lardass. L0L

Two scenes at the end stood out to me:

1/ Right after the pirates finally got what they deserved and were slaughtered. Hanks FAILED here as did the director.

2? The final check up with the military doctor. Hanks was awesome here.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Thor: The Dark World

Malekith was done way better on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. That said I liked it better than the first. I was worried reading comments about the humour that it wouldn't fit, but it did. Loki was awesome, Kurse was awesome, hell Frigga was awesome. I really liked Zachary Levi as Fandral, after seeing pictures of him in makeup I was worried, but he nailed the character way better than Prince Charming did. Also, Hogun's moustache makes an appearance after being sadly absent from the first movie. Overall, 8/10, better than the first in some ways, not in others. The ending is awesome, and the mid-credits sequence setting up both Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 3 was pretty sweet.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Malekith was done way better on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. That said I liked it better than the first. I was worried reading comments about the humour that it wouldn't fit, but it did. Loki was awesome, Kurse was awesome, hell Frigga was awesome. I really liked Zachary Levi as Fandral, after seeing pictures of him in makeup I was worried, but he nailed the character way better than Prince Charming did. Also, Hogun's moustache makes an appearance after being sadly absent from the first movie. Overall, 8/10, better than the first in some ways, not in others. The ending is awesome, and the mid-credits sequence setting up both Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 3 was pretty sweet.

Apparently there was a lot more stuff filmed about Malekith, and Christopher Eccleston has talked about there were more elements to his background, motivations and what he was doing that fleshed him out beyond the two dimensional character. Unfortunately, that got hit by the editors in favour of other stuff when they wanted to cut down the length of the film. So who knows, it might turn up on the dvd in 6 months....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

yeah, he's good. Memories of Murder is a very good movie, I approve  :geek:

which reminds me: I have to finally watch Mother

oh, and people seem to like his newest Snowpiercer. will have to give it a watch  :wowey:

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Apparently there was a lot more stuff filmed about Malekith, and Christopher Eccleston has talked about there were more elements to his background, motivations and what he was doing that fleshed him out beyond the two dimensional character. Unfortunately, that got hit by the editors in favour of other stuff when they wanted to cut down the length of the film. So who knows, it might turn up on the dvd in 6 months....

I also heard they added more Loki after test audiences whined about not enough Loki. Good move. It had just the right amount of Loki.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Deddo Sushi (Dead Sushi)

A campy zombie film where the zombies are sushi.

No, really.

It's really bad, incredibly obvious, and hilariously over the top. I loved it. But you have to be in a cheesy mood if you want to enjoy it.

Only a repressed oversexed culture like that of Japan could bring forth something like this! (take that how you will)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Hunger Games.

That film was SO stupid I had to stop watching it halfway through. Aside from the fact that it was blatantly aimed towards a teen-audience I found all the survival ''tactics'' wrong and laughable at best. What were they thinking?

Things that made me cringe:

Teaching kids how to KILL with spears, throwing spears, throwing knives and bows in a couple of days? riiiiight....thats like so believable.

If you're hunted by a group of people just climb a tree and sleep it over. Don't bother making a primitive weapon (Spear) so you can defend yourself from the start or finding acceptable camouflaged shelter. Thats for noobs. 

Drinking liters of unfiltered unboiled water from a small river in the middle of a jungle-like forest. I highly recommend that if you want the fever and diarrhea of your life.

Sleeping on the ground (in the open, uncovered!) in a high-moisture forest that sucks the warmth right out of your body without any kind of insulation made from leaves or twigs? A bomb-proof way to get a cold and die.

Why did the group put explosive traps RIGHT NEXT to their survival supplies so one mine triggered all the others blowing up all their gear in the process? Genius. 

Making noise, talking loudly not caring about the tiniest amount of camouflage is a great idea when several people hunt you and want to kill you in the middle of a huge forest.

And so on. 

Make. It. STOP. 

• Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I'm guessing you didn't read the book Woldan.  :p

The book, while still aimed towards a young audience, did a better job of explaining how the whole scenario worked.  For example, worrying about the water is unnecessary, this isn't just some spot in a forest.  Its more of an arena that was designed specifically for the game.

Still a pretty silly concept.  It gets more outlandish as they move forward with the story. 

No I haven't read the book.
Sure, they called it an ''arena'' a couple of times but putting a dome over a forest, installing some cannons and a couple of cameras doesn't really make it an arena.

Another thing that bothered me was the wooden acting, I've never liked emotional scenes were the protagonists keep a perfectly straight face all the time. And I've seen that ''pairs can win now'' soooo coming. I just facepalmed.

The saddest thing though was Donald Sutherland being in this movie, I'm a huge fan of this actor and seeing him in a silly film such as this is heartbreaking.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

If you want to see Donald Sutherland being truly magnificent check out Land of the Blind.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.