RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

GTA isn't really a good target for misogyny accusations. It is and always has been about stereotypes- Italian mafioso, Black gangsta, Serb gangster, plus ancillaries- and the attempts to inject some depth into those characters have generally been... well, I'm not absolutely sure they weren't intended as some sort of metacommentary since surely anyone can see the irony of Niko musing on the Unbearable Lightness of Being in the midst of making sure yet another gang of mooks are tethered to the earth with some hot lead. I haven't played V, of course, but I cannot imagine it's different, and it applies to everyone in the game whether male or female. The vast majority of complete scum buckets in GTA are men, so it shows a decent amount of misterogny as well if you look for it.

And yeah, there is an irony as well with people complaining about romances and a certain amount of 'issues' integration from Bioware, which are equally as expected as stereotypes from Rockstar; and a 'deal with it' attitude applies equally to both.

Sorry, but I haven't the faintest idea what you're saying with this post. Not being rude, genuinely, but I'm having a Point Not Found moment.

Your analogy struck me as "only the criticisms I agree with are valid."

Yes, you absolutely can criticize a romantic comedy for not having enough action. Just as people criticize Transformers movies for being dumb or Bioware games for being too actiony without enough roleplaying.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I do.

Who is this 'we' of which you speak?

If everything is 'inclusive' where does that leave 'us?' (a sort of authoritarian libtard nirvana, I was being rhetorical).

Please have another look at what I'm saying... I really don't like GTA as a franchise. I think it's grubby. I think it's tacky. So what? I just don't play it.

So if some women find that the portrayal of their gender is offensive then they shouldn't play it either. It really is that simple. One person's inclusivity is another person's nightmare.

Isn't the gamespot reviewer a tranny with the pseudo surname "Petit"? This person is complaining about the female treatment in a video game? How much more stereotypical/cliche/geek driven can someone be? And how limp wristed can someone be to even defend that? It's pure comedy.

I do.

If everything is 'inclusive' where does that leave 'us?' (a sort of authoritarian libtard nirvana, I was being rhetorical).

Please have another look at what I'm saying... I really don't like GTA as a franchise. I think it's grubby. I think it's tacky. So what? I just don't play it.

So if some women find that the portrayal of their gender is offensive then they shouldn't play it either. It really is that simple. One person's inclusivity is another person's nightmare.

Isn't the gamespot reviewer a tranny with the pseudo surname "Petit"? This person is complaining about the female treatment in a video game? How much more stereotypical/cliche/geek driven can someone be? And how limp wristed can someone be to even defend that? It's pure comedy.

Are you Duke Nukem?

• Like 1

Okay, just to come out of left field, for the comparison aspects in general..  GTA in general always has that "gangsta & ho" approach. Which, by everyones fair standards is pretty much not about female empowerment.. :shifty:

While it takes a lot of elements to silly levels - America's love of guns, and the gunshops they put in the game to make a point, they never quite seem to do so with the women.

Compare it to Saints Row (well, from SR2 onwards) where , yes, they equally have boobs and prostitutes and suchlike, but they obviously make it tongue-in-cheek and so overblown it's clearly not serious, and never quite as offensively thrust into your face. That, and they throw in various female characters that have depth beyond wiggling around.

It's all about finding the right balance point I would say. Not necessarily blunting it to be pro-feminist or pushing it to pro-macho dude.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I do.

Are you Duke Nukem?

Duke Nukem or Carolyn Petit?

I thought the use of the misogyny buzzword was just clickbait.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

One thing has bothered me since the thread started debating GTA, there is a major lack of women's posts (i'm actually being serious) What's the ladies of the forums take on this? Have we offended in any way? If so, sorry.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

i'm no lady, but i can say that if gta 5 had a female character i would have picked it up on release, just to see something different.

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The time is right for Obsidian to make a sci fi rpg with a tranny lead. Female to male post op since it's become too trendy the other way around. The story is set in a not too distant world where those pesky corporations have screwed us once again, and all the newborns are born unisex with a bump instead of genitals. Now, it's your choice to stick to your newly acquired guns and be a man or try to reverse the process and defeat that greed. Come on Obsidian, this is your calling or atleast include this character's history in PE.

The time is right for Obsidian to make a sci fi rpg with a tranny lead. Female to male post op since it's become too trendy the other way around. The story is set in a not too distant world where those pesky corporations have screwed us once again, and all the newborns are born unisex with a bump instead of genitals. Now, it's your choice to stick to your newly acquired guns and be a man or try to reverse the process and defeat that greed. Come on Obsidian, this is your calling or atleast include this character's history in PE.

That kinda sounds like the draft for a Mary Gentle novel.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

One thing has bothered me since the thread started debating GTA, there is a major lack of women's posts (i'm actually being serious) What's the ladies of the forums take on this? Have we offended in any way? If so, sorry.

There aren't many (active) around here these days.

And I personally try to stay out of the chest-beating discussions as a general rule, because really, I'd rather spend my time playing with a cat or something.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's not transsexual if everyone is born "unisex." Of course, it's not a sex if it can't engage in procreation (that's the sole reason for sexes to exist, after all.

And I personally try to stay out of the chest-beating discussions as a general rule

Gorillas making a fuss are rather entertaining.

Edited by AGX-17

Hey look, we are all aware that gamers are sick to the back teeth of PC bull****. That does not preclude a reasoned debate on the matter. 

Hey look, we are all aware that gamers are sick to the back teeth of PC bull****. That does not preclude a reasoned debate on the matter. 

I agree and I want to raise another point. Lets say for argument sake people that are pushing feminist ideas or equality have permeated the gaming scene with there ideals of fairness. What negative impact has this had to your personal gaming experience? In other words people are saying that gaming genres are changing. If that's the case can someone give me examples of how games are not as entertaining as they use to be because of the push for equal representation. Because I'm not seeing any negative changes to my overall experience

The only changes I am seeing is where games are dumbed down if there is a console version, like your classic RPG.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Funny how Saints Row is more progressive, being able to play transgenders and all. 

That being said, I think GTA is ready for a woman protagonist. 

I think SR lends itself to those themes because of its zany tone but GTA is more serious even though it sometimes becomes a satire of crime fiction.

Although I would actually be more interested in the idea of a male character that had been transformed into a woman against his will, its a trope that I haven't seen much in gaming. It has the potential to deal with the themes of gender identity better than what a post op trans character would, IMO. Although a game with that main character would probably never get the greenlight from the publishers.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Funny how Saints Row is more progressive, being able to play transgenders and all. 

That being said, I think GTA is ready for a woman protagonist. 

I think SR lends itself to those themes because of its zany tone but GTA is more serious even though it sometimes becomes a satire of crime fiction.

Although I would actually be more interested in the idea of a male character that had been transformed into a woman against his will, its a trope that I haven't seen much in gaming. It has the potential to deal with the themes of gender identity better than what a post op trans character would, IMO. Although a game with that main character would probably never get the greenlight from the publishers.

Baldur's gate! Any game with girdle of femininity/masculinity! Edwin in bg2! Done to death! :p

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I agree and I want to raise another point. Lets say for argument sake people that are pushing feminist ideas or equality have permeated the gaming scene with there ideals of fairness. What negative impact has this had to your personal gaming experience? 

For starters it ruined many fantasy settings with the stupid insistence on gender equality where it made completely no sense.

I agree and I want to raise another point. Lets say for argument sake people that are pushing feminist ideas or equality have permeated the gaming scene with there ideals of fairness. What negative impact has this had to your personal gaming experience? 

For starters it ruined many fantasy settings with the stupid insistence on gender equality where it made completely no sense.

Okay can you give some examples please

I didn't realize that fantasy was the domain of male characters only?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I agree and I want to raise another point. Lets say for argument sake people that are pushing feminist ideas or equality have permeated the gaming scene with there ideals of fairness. What negative impact has this had to your personal gaming experience? In other words people are saying that gaming genres are changing. If that's the case can someone give me examples of how games are not as entertaining as they use to be because of the push for equal representation. Because I'm not seeing any negative changes to my overall experience

The only changes I am seeing is where games are dumbed down if there is a console version, like your classic RPG.

It just shows how truly benign society is once it reaches the point of caring about feminism in virtual reality. Sounds far too much like some Hot Coffee. *facepalm*

Try any pseudo-medieval setting. 

You cannot have such society undergo the cliché war/plague/famine story and still pretend that modern notions of freedom/equality was an option. 

You cannot have such society undergo the cliché war/plague/famine story and still pretend that modern notions of freedom/equality was an option. 

Of course you can, that is why it is called fantasy and not historic, pseudo historic or alternatice historic. Fantasy universum give their writers ability to explore different kinds of societies than we have or have had in out world or mix idelogies and cultural models from our societies to make new societies. So it is one of core tendencies of fantasy writing to bring modern view points in settings that otherwise feel historic, because it gives you more freedom to do what you want in your world and it helps readers to identify with your characters.

• Like 6

Of course you can, that is why it is called fantasy and not historic, pseudo historic or alternatice historic. Fantasy universum give their writers ability to explore different kinds of societies than we have or have had in out world or mix idelogies and cultural models from our societies to make new societies. So it is one of core tendencies of fantasy writing to bring modern view points in settings that otherwise feel historic, because it gives you more freedom to do what you want in your world and it helps readers to identify with your characters.

Well said, I agree 100 %

John Milton