RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Last post from previous thread:

Apparently TWitcher 2 cost just over $10 million to make and their costs are roughly 6 million a year now.

Interesting for two reasons, TW2 should have turned a pretty decent profit, and that burn rate is half what Obsidian's was which I guess really shows the cost difference between Poland and west coast USA.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Irrational (dudes that made Bioshock) laid off some people in order to "streamline their process."

Layoffs are pretty common once a portion of the project its done, no use paying artists when all the game art assets are built.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

also, bioshock infinite was kind of a mess, so maybe the heads are realizing that they would make a better game with a smaller team?

i dunno, just spitballing

edit: i just remembered that the game was a critic's darling, so maybe the people in charge have no idea that infinite kinda sucked....  anyone know the general gamer consensus on that game now that the dust has settled?  I know i thought it was lousy, though I might be in the minority.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

also, bioshock infinite was kind of a mess, so maybe the heads are realizing that they would make a better game with a smaller team?

i dunno, just spitballing

edit: i just remembered that the game was a critic's darling, so maybe the people in charge have no idea that infinite kinda sucked....  anyone know the general gamer consensus on that game now that the dust has settled?  I know i thought it was lousy, though I might be in the minority.

It was okay, beautiful graphics and environments but the gameplay and story is nothing to exalt. All in all it was a fairly average game with the production values of a AAA game and the usual design faults.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Infinite was a repetitive poo-poo platter, I thought. But that was on Xbox ... I suppose I should download the PC version before I comment. It was free, anyway. 

I thought game studios are like movie studios, in that they hire for a project, then layoff after it's completed. Temporary contract work. 

Edit: I see now they let go of just eight people. I would think Irrational employs many more than that. Still sucks to look for work. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Infinite's greatest crime was they built a large floating city you weren't allowed to interact with. The fact chosing to hit a slave with a projectile was a Quick Time Event...

• Like 1

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

Some eager fans have discovered signs of Risen 3 in the Steam database: http://www.worldofrisen.de/?section=newsdetail&id=1899

They entries have had their names changed now, but they were originally listed as DLC for Risen 3, numbered 4-6.

I'm pretty sure no-one except me and maybe three other people in the world cares. But there it is.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Pretty underwhelming TV commercial for Xbox One. I got the impression it was aimed at rabid NFL fans who don't play video games? The ad was a lot like the Surface tablet, trying to create an air of sexy usefulness around a product everyone will need in order to be happy and enjoy football and have good skin and fun parties and a nice house and lots of friends, but no video games cause those are for kids not football fans wut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmD0vPOd5Rk

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Pretty underwhelming TV commercial for Xbox One. I got the impression it was aimed at rabid NFL fans who don't play video games? The ad was a lot like the Surface tablet, trying to create an air of sexy usefulness around a product everyone will need in order to be happy and enjoy football and have good skin and fun parties and a nice house and lots of friends, but no video games cause those are for kids not football fans wut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmD0vPOd5Rk

Well, I mean, it's common knowledge that you can't watch NFL on TV without XBOne.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The ability for MS to charge an extra $10 (indicative) per month if you use the On3 as a set top box is what you're missing. It isn't a great option for most people to use it as such, but it sure is a great option for Microsoft, if they can convince people to use it that way.

Edited by Zoraptor

Some eager fans have discovered signs of Risen 3 in the Steam database: http://www.worldofrisen.de/?section=newsdetail&id=1899

They entries have had their names changed now, but they were originally listed as DLC for Risen 3, numbered 4-6.

I'm pretty sure no-one except me and maybe three other people in the world cares. But there it is.

I care about the possibility of a Risen 3, I enjoyed the series so far. So good find on your part :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Entries for some DLCs for Risen 3

Is it a bad sign if you find evidence of DLC for a game that nobody know was in development at all?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Doesn't PB have the rights to Gothic back now?

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Yes, they do. But they also answered a direct "NO" when fans and journalists asked if they have any Gothic projects going on.

I suspect they are under contract for a certain number of Risen games. They might also believe that Forsaken Gods and Arcania: A Gothic Tale caused irreparable damage to the Gothic brand. Personally I don't think the Gothic brand was ever that strong to begin with. Let's face it, Gothic is kind of a crappy name. Not Divine Divinity levels of crappy, but still.

We will see. It's been almost 1,5 years since they last released anything (Risen 2, April 2012) so they should be ready to announce something new soon.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Honestly, at this point, I'd rather they keep making Risen games.  The first Risen game was great until the final 15-20%, which was just plain tedious.  Risen 2 was a bit of a letdown, but still a good game.  I honestly like the direction they went with for Risen 2, going with the pirate motif and all, they just didn't execute it nearly as well as I had hoped.  I hope they keep going in that direction.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Honestly, at this point, I'd rather they keep making Risen games.  The first Risen game was great until the final 15-20%, which was just plain tedious.  Risen 2 was a bit of a letdown, but still a good game.  I honestly like the direction they went with for Risen 2, going with the pirate motif and all, they just didn't execute it nearly as well as I had hoped.  I hope they keep going in that direction.

I second your post, lets keep the Risen series going as it has potential  :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I agree with your opinion about Risen, but do not agree with you on Risen 2. I don't think the pirate theme improved the game in any significant way. It didn't take it self seriously and was just full of "tongue and cheek" references to pirate cliches. Also the theme doesn't really have legs, meaning once it's explored all the typical pirate cliches I don't see where it can go in order to have interesting new story.

My opinion could be clouded because I'm not a fan of the pirate setting in general.