What are you playing now?

I'm enjoying my wander around in Far Cry 3. Definitely a far cry from the original game. More or a story to sink into, and a lot more atmospheric island to enjoy.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Playing skyrim. For the snow.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Endless Space. My first game came to an inglorious end around turn 114 with me being attacked by three factions and my puny empire in open revolt. I started game two as the Harmony and this time have focused almost exclusively on Applied Sciences and Exploration & Expansion and things are much smoother. It makes me wonder if focusing in Galactic Warfare draws aggression to you. I have a huge empire, have not been attacked by anyone, and the Ameba race fell all over themselves to immediately offer peace and give me a bunch of stuff. My solar systems are chugging out resources very fast and Im just stacking a murderous fleet at the lone entry point to my entire empire, a wormhole to another faction's solar system. Combat is pretty laughable. Just have a higher Military Power on your fleet and its pretty much in the bag. I use the same three cards every time. Question; how do you initiate Diplomacy or Trade Routes? I go to that Diplomacy tab and choose the race I want to negotiate with but all the sub tabs where you would offer what you want to give and get are blank. I tab through them all and the only choice ever is to Declare War.

I played this damn game for like 10 hours yesterday.

Far Cry 3 - Better than I expected, I really like the crafting, hunting, and skill tree aspects they have incorporated.  I've had some crazy moments.  I was watching a tiger attack some pigs across a river, and I decided to take him out with my sniper rifle.  He did not go down easily.  So I waded across the river, and I guess I alerted some bad guys with my rifle shots, because I was attacked by 4 of them.  After a tough fight I was still standing, so I wandered over to skin the tiger at the bank of the river.  Then I was eaten by a crocodile.  Ouch.

• Like 1

Question; how do you initiate Diplomacy or Trade Routes? I go to that Diplomacy tab and choose the race I want to negotiate with but all the sub tabs where you would offer what you want to give and get are blank. I tab through them all and the only choice ever is to Declare War.

I played this damn game for like 10 hours yesterday.

Yeah it's a solid game.. trade comes automatically with peace and with tech. There are improvements that give traderoutes and then they are initiated with factions you are at peace with.

Fortune favors the bald.

@Gfted1

Be careful with the Amoeba, they are sneaky. They are aiming for a Wonder or Economic victory, so while you are happy about your large empire and progress, they set up good relations and then turn every planet to producing cash ;)

regarding your question:

Answer! You need to do the relevant cultural research (research tree on the left) to unlock more diplomatic options. I think...

It's tricky trying to balance your research. You need applied sciences to be able to use resources. You need exploration to be able to settle more planets, expand your empire and build larger ships. You need warfare to equip those ships and be less of an inviting target. And you need the cultural tree to keep your citizens happy, recruit more heroes and talk to aliens.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

If that works, I'm going to go play New Vegas again, for the heat.

...almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

I genuinely believe that the mind can achieve a great deal. Make you feel full, warm, happy. Or the reverse.

One trick I've been trying today is just breathing more deeply. Exploit natural circulation.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ah, now in Vegas 2 they're dumping me alone to tackle another company of terrorists. Taking a break to put the sword to Tropico 3's campaign, then on to 4 maybe as I got that on the Steam sale.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I genuinely believe that the mind can achieve a great deal. Make you feel full, warm, happy. Or the reverse.

Is that the logic by which, when we were younger, we'd play RPGs (Baldur's Gate comes to mind) for days with hardly any rest because our characters were doing all the resting already?

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

One trick I've been trying today is just breathing more deeply. Exploit natural circulation.

Are you having a manic period? If so, do come off it gently.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm just about ready to start taking advanced (tier 2) skills in Tomb Raider.  For those that have played the game, is Axe Murderer Lara a viable play style (obviously some enemies I'll need to take out with ranged weapons)?  I ask because anyone can pull a trigger, but sticking an ice axe into someone just seems way more badass. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Far Cry 3 - Better than I expected, I really like the crafting, hunting, and skill tree aspects they have incorporated.  I've had some crazy moments.  I was watching a tiger attack some pigs across a river, and I decided to take him out with my sniper rifle.  He did not go down easily.  So I waded across the river, and I guess I alerted some bad guys with my rifle shots, because I was attacked by 4 of them.  After a tough fight I was still standing, so I wandered over to skin the tiger at the bank of the river.  Then I was eaten by a crocodile.  Ouch.

Yeah, the open world is really fun, even though the activities could have been designed to be more involved and lead to each other more naturally. Then you get the story missions and ugh. For a bevy of design and writing reasons just UGH.

Still enjoyed my time with it, and right now I'm enjoying Blood Dragon. HELL YEAH.

Are you having a manic period? If so, do come off it gently.

Not really.

All that sort of mind over matter nonsense I got mostly out of my system when I was younger and when in training with the Army. Nowadays I mostly make soup or ice cream and look at the wonder of nature.

I am now, as Samuel L. Jackson would say, one placid mother****er.

-Elwood Blues

Dang, you almost made me jealous but then you said soup.

Good call. Soup makes you cowardly.

-Elwood Blues

After reading Keyrock's experience of Tombraider I think I'm going to assume that my old-fashioned husband wouldn't like it. :lol:

We did finally get around to playing some of the Borderlands 2 Tiny-Tina DLC late in the evening. So far, it's definitely the best DLC of BL2 and perhaps the best one for both games. Like the silly humor, new enemies, the additional effects enemies can do on ya, like that they finally put in something else to spend the purple bars on, the boss fights seem a bit more interesting, etc. And less focus on vehicles (actually, none at all so far). I've never been fond of the vehicle stuff in BL.

We're using our lvl 50's (Siren/Commando) in True Vault, so most enemies are 49-52 .. but there's been a few lvl55's which led to a lot of hollering and me running around in circles while hubby took shots+turret as I ran by.

Achievement-wise, that's why I never manage to unlock the "beat all side missions" achievements for BL and BL2.  I hate the ones that require any sort of racing or fast driving with the vehicles, so I end up not finishing them.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Decided to make a character on the Defiance US server so I can say hello to friends there. Realised that I only have until Wednsday to finish all the limited time content on that character, since on Thursday I'll be off on vacation and not gaming until second week of August. So now I'm trying to race to Ego Rank 500 to be able to finish the last of those pursuits. After two days I am at rank 359. Will try to get close to a hundred ranks tonight.

We finished the Tiny Tina DLC. Took us maybe 9-10 hours total.

The last boss fight wasn't too hard, but as usual we were kinda pokey actually doing the defeating. Something like 20 minutes. :) Fun stuff tho. And the ending bit/joke was hilarious. So...now officially my favorite Borderlands DLC. Not a single vehicle at all, the riffs on D&D campaigning and the area designs, all awesome. Still have all the side quests to do that show up after...and I wonder if there's any limit to Crazy Earl selling new ammo and stash space etc. First one is 50, next 100 ... time to ez-farm PT1 dragon-boss for tons of purple! :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Grabbed Expeditions: Conquistador on the steam sale and have been playing some of that. Not as good as I was lead to believe, but not bad. The cover mechanics are poop. I was at the top of a canyon but my enemies were considered partially covered because I couldn't move to the very edge of the cliff so the edge counted as cover for them. Didn't seem like height made a difference either, just meant I was further away so my accuracy suffered, double whammy.

On the other hand, based on the ravings lately I finally booted up my copy of Saints Row: The Third I got with the THQ Humble Bundle and the escape from the plane at the beginning had me hooked. Now I'm motoring around in a hum vee with a turret taking down gang operations. Super fun.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

...and I wonder if there's any limit to Crazy Earl selling new ammo and stash space etc.

Aww, it's not endless. Only get one extra ammo upgrade each (50 purple), 2 backpack (50/100). Not sure about the town stash as I haven't spent on that yet. I'd assume same as ammo (one) since it's on the same list/side.

So much for my dream of having a 50 slot backpack. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't understand what the reason is behind a limited number of backpack upgrades. It isn't realism - that word does not even belong in the same sentence as this game.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

This one game made my PSP purchase worth it, and still keeps going. 300+ hours on that thing. My biggest complaint is that if a battle gets too tense, I just know that I'll get this quick stinging pain in my hands when I let go of the console. It's like sorcery, the horrible grip I need to use in that game only starts hurting after I stop