What you did today

Tale

Got headhunted today for a 15% pay rise. I feel like all sorts of bastard. Just goes against the grain. I'm going to really miss my colleagues. :)

Why should you feel like a bastard? Everyone moves on to higher pay when they can. Unless of course you slept your way there, but then that makes you something else.

Because I feel like I'm letting the side down for filthy lucre.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Pretty much, you're in it for yourself in the end. I need to look into a new job, or at least raising my skills. Did get a good laugh of a customer calling us AND raising an official ticket that was essentially the same as calling up Microsoft to ask "Why is it called Excel?"

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Conrgrats Wals and don't feel bad. If your current employer could find someone who'd do your job for 15% less they'd fire you in less than a heartbeat. It's just the way things are.

I cooked up some venison tonight with long grain wild rice and butter beans. Now it's time to pour a highball glass of Knob Creek with two ice cubes and retire to the front porch. Life is good!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Now you are sounding like LoF :)

Job security isn't much of an issue at the moment, but those things are always subject to change on a short notice. I'm happy where I am, but I keep channels open and networking active as a safeguard. Usually get between 1 and 2 dozen offers a week from all over the world.

I wouldn't be tempted by a 15% payraise. Competitive environment, latest technologies and methodologies, keeping skills sharp and up to date etc. counts for more as a long term investment :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

No letting the side down is missing a tackle, dropping a catch, blowing up the office. Moving on to greener pastures is human nature and nothing to be ashamed of. Besides you need that 24k gold monocle.

If your current employer could find someone who'd do your job for 15% less they'd fire you in less than a heartbeat. It's just the way things are.

Exactly.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Actually, one reason I will really miss the place is that they are results focussed. They wouldn't go swapping me out like a lightbulb just because they found something cheaper in the supermarket.

Still, my movement is giving others room to stretch and grow. So I'm hopeful that it will be very beneficial for our youngest and brightest. I'm no fan of change for change's sake. But change can be healthy.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hm, having a little bit of a lock up on my creative juices today.. So trying to keep poking at my mind to shake something loose in a more cogitant manner....

Although cat's been taken off to the vet's to be doped up and have some issues with his fur dealt with. Long haired persians can be a bit murderous to deal with.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Got the results of the reviews for my dissertation, almost had managed to forget the thing. So for the next month or so, free time will be spent on wrestling with that instead of swtor or nice young ladies.

:)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Actually, I'm quite proud of this although it wasn't deliberate as such. I had to go do an interview with their HR people, and they actually asked me "What do you consider your strengths?"

I simply raised an eyebrow at them. :skeptical:

I answered after looking startled like this for a couple of beats. I mean, seriously? What a ****ing lazy question! :lol:

-Elwood Blues

Talked to my mother for about 30 mins, she doesn't believe in phones so things tend to pile up and then she will walk over and tell me about it. Apparently the CERND supercollider is the key to the gates of hell mentioned in revelations. I told her it was a good idea for a movie, maybe with Johnny Depp as the scientist who commits hybris and bad things result. Also feminist and gay rights activism within the protestant church has now reached intolerable levels.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Realize I'm being too apathetic about things in life, so going to try to find some motivation to get some marketable skills as my current job is just helping me become experienced at dealing with insane people and putting up with tedious bureaucratic corporate "procedures". So will finally return to that C# book I've ignored for months, is a start I suppose.

Also forgot today is D-Day for the client, heh, smart folk decided to go ahead with using a functionality when they're missing about 80% of the needed static data for this to even work. :banghead:

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Today I discovered that due to the incompetence of various stakeholders, my Gibson Les Paul will not set foot on American soil. That is probably for the best, since I paid a horrible amount of money for it (guitars cost like 3 times as much in NZ) and wouldn't want to see it broken.

Instead I've scrounged together my student stipend to order an Epiphone Dot and a bunch of equipment. Since I can never play louder than guy-singing-in-shower decibel levels, that will be more than good enough. (Also, I'm pretty crap anyway.)

DV016_Jpg_Large_518707.019_cherry_V.jpg

Seem to have spent a large amount of time today trying to get through to people on the phone.. Only to have them never in their office when i ring. Joy.

That and refining my google-fu skills, and trying to delve into certain aspects of maritime law and requirements/regulations of entrance into port for a research project doohickie..

We're having a major drop in temperature, so post christmas and suddenly it's white mornings with frosted grass.. and the potential for snow. The good thing is, that sort of cold means the dogs aren't tracking mud in from the garden...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Instead I've scrounged together my student stipend to order an Epiphone Dot and a bunch of equipment. Since I can never play louder than guy-singing-in-shower decibel levels, that will be more than good enough. (Also, I'm pretty crap anyway.)

So other than that; how's life in Philly treating you?

Rather sucky day but had a rather amusing dream where I was in a gang fight with my Rogue Trader GM and friend, Liam Neeson and Robin Van Persie. The whole "WTF" nature of it did at least make me laugh enough upon waking to get out of bed early though.

Before sleeping watched a scene of The Warriors (gang fight), talked with my friend on Vent. But how the other two figured in, I dunno.

Not bad. I mean, I don't think there's anything special about this place, other than the nice fact that it's pretty walkable, and the weird fact that for such a big city some things are strangely inconvenient. The locales like the Italian community don't do much for me personally, so it's just a generic City as far as I'm concerned. I still need to visit NYC, though.

All I want is my guitar, some people to play football (the real kind) with, some people to have a drink with now and then. I'm halfway towards acquiring those things.

Thankfully its payday, we were getting down to our last few bucks in my household. For some reason teachers only get paid once a month, and that is made worse this time of the year because they pay us in mid-December and then don't pay us until the end of January. Going 7 weeks in between checks while dealing with holiday expenses is always pretty rough. We did a good job of not leaning on the credit cards this year, so I'm happy about that.

Hopefully I'll finish up my taxes tonight as well.

Interesting cultural differences, I think only construction workers get paid more than once a month around here (and that's only because there's such a high possibility they'll get locked up during the weekend, that it's much less of a hassle just paying the people who haven't been jailed for that week) :p

That said, as of today, I'm totally debt free (everything on my single remaining credit card is stuff I bought this month and won't be payable before the end of February). A nice feeling, while putting the finishing touches to my dissertation.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I just found out that I can see my REAL post count instead of just the ones that count (11,805)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Up betimes as I thought zombies were attacking.

Turns out it was just a roof hatch falling open.

-Elwood Blues

Holy forum-look changes, batman.

*waves hello*

Same ol' same ol...hope all is well with everyone. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts