RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

LA Noire has shipped 4 million copies

Once I'm finsihed with FEAR3 and DSIII, I'll either pick up Red Dead Redemption or LA Noire. Which one my esteemed comrades is more worthy?

Red Dead Redemption is terrific. LA Noire I wouldn't have regretted skipping.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Great news! I will definitely pick up LA Noire. Now if only they would get Red Dead Redemption on PC too.. ;(

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Red Dead Noire. The spaghetti western crime solving game.

I'd play that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wouldn't the entire game just be

"Gosh darn it to heck, Cleetus just killed Jessup in a duel, guess I gotta go play clean up... again!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'd rather play RDR on PC. no interest in LA Noire whatsoever :ermm:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Biggest thing about RDR is that they play off the whole "You can be "good" or "evil"" but the issue is that if you're the type of character to burn down villiages, kill the men and women, set dynamite in the barn, and lay all the leftovers in front of the train to be killed.

Your character is still the most honorable and upright thing you've ever seen in the cutscenes.

Your character is still the most honorable and upright thing you've ever seen in the cutscenes.
He's still a bit of a ****. He has trouble talking to people without threatening to kill them.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Only to a couple of the mission givers after they've led him around by the nose for a while and/or lied/betrayed him.

ArmA2 Free is finally out. if you dig that kind of thing, it's a good game while we're waiting for ArmA3/Battlefield3

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

just coming in here to say ?!? re people's thoughts on westerns...

if you have not seen:

1. once upon a time in the west

AND

2. the good the bad and the ugly

then you clearly have not seen enough western films to have formed an opinion of them.

its like saying you don't like samurai movies but you've never seen seven samurai or yojimbo...

other insanely good westerns:

unforgiven

the wild bunch

also westerns being an american thing? the two best westerns of all time were italian productions. not american.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I know I'm late, but

AusGamers: You always support the mod community as well and I know that this is going to have mod tools out of the box.

Todd: For download, not in the box.

AusGamers: Right okay, yeah.

Todd: In case people look in their box and they

Is RDR an open-world game?

It's like GTA I heard. I might get bored of it after all.

Is it more corny 60s Western style or more "modern", a 'la The Proposition, True Grit remake etc?

Its so much more, the world is alive in Red Dead. Unlike GTA where the world exists to be passed through besides a few pigeons to shoot or minigames there are animals constantly doing animal things. I've seen some stunning things just exploring the world. I visited a small farm and watched the people work, one guy was grinding an axe, a woman washing her clothes and a pack of coyotes rushed in to the town and started grabbing chickens and rushing off, the man cursed and started firing at them as they rushed off. Birds fly over head, animals hunt, darkness falls and nocturnal animals come out. Watch out for snakes!

The game is, hands down, the best open world game ever. The world exists for a reason and there is always some beautiful sight to see or animal to hunt. No other game has created an open world this worth exploring. This game alone was worth purchasing my 360 for, from the LONG epic single player which has one of the most fantastic endings I've EVER seen in... well anything, to the outstanding multiplayer which has had me investing hundreds of hours into.

The tone of the game is closer to movies like Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, True Grit and other more modern westerns than westerns of the past. Most of the people you deal with are bastards, but you will run into some upstanding 1950s style characters like Bonnie McFarland and her family. The sheriff of Armadillo is also a decent fellow. Even the villains are done well though, as you can see their points of view for why they do what they do.

The only con that comes to mind is that the morality system is a bit pointless. Just stick to generally being a good guy with an occasional robbery or hold up or the story doesn't make sense. Marston is a reformed decent guy and it shows in the cutscenes. It makes little sense to go shooting up a town executing people and then jump to a cutscene where he's being mr. reformed nice guy.

Oh, and there is no swimming. That is a bit dumb too. Water is essentially acid to you ala GTA 3 & Vice City.

This is one of the few games that, IMHO deserved a perfect 10 review. The love and care that went into this game is beyond anything on the market.

L.A. Noire is also a good game, but its a bad open world game. The world, even far more so than GTA IV, exists to pass through. Don't get me wrong, I think its extremely cool than you can essentially drive down 1947 streets and see the town as it existed, but there is almost nothing to do when exploring the city. The game is best described as a Lucas Arts adventure with an open world. You will shoot bad guys, but the gunplay isn't as good as GTA IV or RDR. The game lives by its investigations, searching for clues and questioning witnesses. A good game to be sure, but not the masterpiece that RDR is. It may be more to your play style though if you have been dying for a modern adventure game.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat