RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

work ethics, obviously :lol: A

Ah, work ethics, indeed.

And here I was thinking of the moral fiber of the modern developer. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Corrupt bastards the lot of them! *packs up company stationery*

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I honestly don't remember any figure where 2 mil.+ was sold-through

EA's financials specified both DA2 and DS2 at "over 2 mil SOLD", not shipped.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

In other rockstar new

GTA V SON!

It'll probably be console exclusive. :lol: I really wanted to play RDR and LA Noire - but I refuse to buy a TV and PS3 just to do so.

I don't own a TV. I just have a second monitor with an HDMI port.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Gamedev stuff is only cool if you aren't one of the many who work at the bottom of the ladder.

Its never cool, no matter where you are on the ladder.

You know, this always brings up one question in my: Why work there at all? If it is so bad and sucks, why doing it? It's not like one is forced to work as game dev in whatever position. Is someone standing behind your back with a baseball bat and as soon as you think about quitting, hammers it into your face?

There was a video not a so long time ago. It was showing two robots that are talking about being a game dev- the smaller one was the youth who wanted to work there and the bigger one was the one who got a job already. So the small robot was yelling all the time how cool it would be and that he is so creative and whatever else and the bigger robot always told him how bad everything is. While the video was receptioned very well everywhere, because of it's truth, it questions me why the fuu the people don't switch their jobs if it is so damn bad.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Sold in ~ shipped

"Crysis 2, Dead Space 2 and Dragon Age 2 each SOLD IN more than 2 million units"

See as contrast "Mass Effect 2 – sold through over 1.6 million packaged and digital units in the quarter for Europe and North America combined" from an earlier quarterly statement.

Edited by Zoraptor

I haven't been playing any of Bioware games since the original Knight of the Old Republic. However, yea, combined with the power of movie industry, they seem to sell well and shooter game-play seems to have fewer problems with multi-platform. Since gamers are not known for reading, the visuals must play great role in "story-telling"... Who couldn't see this coming if not blinded by his/her favorite formula?

Sold in ~ shipped

"Crysis 2, Dead Space 2 and Dragon Age 2 each SOLD IN more than 2 million units"

See as contrast "Mass Effect 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

There are a lot of great jobs for developers, however most of those require good candidates with modern skills and good ethics and majority of developers are lazy arrogant a-holes with no interest in writing good, clean, efficient code.

We get treated like dirt because most of us are dirt.

:ermm:

I'll admit, maybe, just maybe, it's different in game development world. But I find that extremely hard to believe.

The only difference I'm really aware of, and in this I'm not certain either, is that games dev's tend to continue to strive for new skills because its already so competative.

Also, the average time that people spend in industry is something like 4 years - these are usually the people that thought they'd go to uni, learn to code, and not have to continue pushing themselves, doing crunch etc...

I have known, and still do know some very concious folks when it comes to coding, people who will put in whatever it takes to do the best job possible - this is fine, these people are usually heroes on the projects they work on. The problems usually occur because of bad planning - dev teams often pay for the mistakes of management and production. When you hear about this epic crunch on RDR or LA Noire, its because someone lied to someone powerful.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Major franchises which traditionally carry a Steam-enabled component in their PC box include Call Of Duty and Fallout.

The only Fallout game that needs Steam is New Vegas. That's hardly "traditionally." :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

UK retail chains blacklisting Steam titles.

Was bound to happen eventually.

My problem is that if said companies are now free from price adjustments of brick&mortar stores their digital game pricing should reflect that.

As it stands we may just be trading a retailer conspiracy for an outright steam monopoly.

Eh, stores actually having a selection of physical pc games to buy has been limited for years over here. Even before steam kicked into high gear, pc gamers were lucky to find a couple of shelves with games on compared to the hordes of console related material.

Hell, I think it's been about 8 years since I picked up a game via a real brick and mortar store - mostly because it's simpler and usually cheaper to buy via Amazon or the like. (And Amazon actually class as a retail store, even if they sell via the interweb).

Although what I find interesting about the quote from 1C.. is that "if a game is sold by a retail store for

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

^ True, lowering the price to 15-18 would seem reasonable in that case.

But personally I think steam/impulse for instance, offers a much much better deal than most brick stores - for the same price I also get easy access to playing with friends, finding buddies to play with - and I can uninstall and install simply by deleting and downloading.

Fortune favors the bald.

My problem is that if said companies are now free from price adjustments of brick&mortar stores their digital game pricing should reflect that.

As it stands we may just be trading a retailer conspiracy for an outright steam monopoly.

Eventually? I thought they already did this.

If the UK system is anything like the US, it's no loss. Most game shops barely carry PC games as it is. Wal-Mart is a better shop for PC games than Gamestop.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's called Steam sales, you can get whole catalogs for a fraction of the price.

Also they're just helping bring along their own demise quicker, which they should be applauded for.

Steam is pretty much irrelevant now that MS is going to integrate GFWL into Windows 8. Gabe's baby will go the way of Netscape/ Lotus/ Wordperfect and all it will take is a few "our latest update broke Steam? This is totally unexpected. Hope they can fix the problem soon". Better get into that iOS/ Android market soon, Valve*.

Shame they couldn't get their stuff coordinated boycott wise, if the 'brave and morally upright retailers' and the other DD vendors had coordinated their boycotts to 'try to stop the infection of their customers computers by Steamworks afflicted games and distortion of the market by 3rd party bundling and loss leading' (see what I did there CVG?) they might have had a chance of success, though it'd still be MS ultimately once they got bothered enough to leverage their OS dominance.

*Surely they aren't dominated by the OS makers marketplaces, after all.

i dont really follow you...

if windows had GFWL in it, a person would no longer be able to use steam?

or that the prices for GFWL would be so much better than steam people would choose to completely buy all their digital games on GFWL from then on?

edit:

i hope you aren't saying that by including GFWL in windows people would just use it cause its there.... that doesnt make sense, do people use internet explorer because its there? or do they use firefox cause its better? (to answer: i dont know a single person who uses internet explorer who also plays pc games, the fact that it is included with windows just means they can download firefox right away)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.