RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

I dunno. If a previous pay service suddenly goes free to play its not because customers are swarming, its because they are hemmorrhaging players and are trying to entice people to stay/come back. Not because their coffers are full and they just decided to give it away out of the goodness of their heart.

I dunno. If a previous pay service suddenly goes free to play its not because customers are swarming, its because they are hemmorrhaging players and are trying to entice people to stay/come back. Not because their coffers are full and they just decided to give it away out of the goodness of their heart.

Depends really. Champions online went free to play fairly early in it's life because it didn't keep anyone beyond 2 months due to bad design (IMO) so now it's all micro transaction based. AOC may be able to survive but it's just a question of if they're able to make enough money from micro transactions to keep paying the crews that maintain the game and update it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah, thats kinda the point? Thats why I said it breathes new life into it?

F2P models have been very successful in the past few years depending on the game.

Edited by C2B

i actually might check out conan now that its free to play

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Hmm I am still loving to play Sony games... Online gaming is not everything... you know...

i was referring to the price of the ps3 at launch, along with its launch titles.

edit: and i hate online gaming, i assume you were talking to someone else?

but who cares about launch titles now? i certainly do not...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

im not really sure what you're trying to say...

because no one is interested in launch titles, sony was NOT exhibiting signs that they believed people would purchase the ps3 because it was Sony brand?

if you really believe that then cool, but just know that is not in step with logical thought processes.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

That's generally how those things work. F2P games gate off content behind pay methods, either subscription or microtrans. Stormreach does the same thing.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

im not really sure what you're trying to say...

because no one is interested in launch titles, sony was NOT exhibiting signs that they believed people would purchase the ps3 because it was Sony brand?

if you really believe that then cool, but just know that is not in step with logical thought processes.

I think we are speaking about 2 different things... so we shall stop, before we confuse each other even more :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Joystiq slammed Daggerdale, calling it a terrible use of the D&D Name

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale does a big thing bad. Bedlam Games has shown no lack of ambition in creating a $15 downloadable title with all the constituent elements of a traditional action-RPG. Unfortunately, most of those elements are half-baked, and become even less baked as the game goes on, culminating in a completely uncooked, laughably ill-conceived final boss battle. (That is not hyperbole. You will laugh at the final boss battle.)

It's not just a bad game, it's a terrible use of Wizards of the Coast's timeless license. Even when boiled down to its core combat mechanics, D&D is cerebral, challenging, intense, and infinitely rewarding. Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale is just a game about hitting monsters until treasure falls out of them.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/25/dungeons...gerdale-review/

Edited by C2B

bummer, D&D just can't catch a break anymore. things were so good once upon a time :p

There's two possibilities. Atari is doing the bare minimum to keep the license. Or nobody wants to develop games off it.

Given the niche nature of RPGs at the moment (we have what, three developers focusing on it?), I'm leaning towards the latter. Bioware supposedly doesn't want to do them anymore. Bethesda has its own publisher, so they can't use Atari's license. And there's Obsidian, who knows if they're interested. So Atari is left with less prominent developers and smaller projects.

Then again, that's kind of what Atari's business model is at the moment anyway. They'll occasionally drag something across the seas, but all they're funding is downloadables. So third possibility. Atari isn't interested in doing what's necessary to make something we would consider ideal.

Edited by Tale

And there's Obsidian, who knows if they're interested.

what about that interview with F.Urquhart? he did mention Atari and Icewind Dale 3

EDIT: oh, and isn't there another co-op D&D game in development?

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

And there's Obsidian, who knows if they're interested.

what about that interview with F.Urquhart? he did mention Atari and Icewind Dale 3

EDIT: oh, and isn't there another co-op D&D game in development?

Neverwinter. The game I can't find consensus on whether it's an MMO or simply co-op.

maybe if witcher 2 is a smash hit then cd projekt will be able to expand and make more than 1 game every 5 years?

one can hope

Since Cryptic is up for sale there's no guarantee Neverwinter will even end up as a D&D title and it may well not. The old Bioware premium modules went bye bye when Hasbro put their foot down over sublicensing of D&D to an EA subsidiary, and they may well retain the same attitude. Or not, if they think it's the only way to make any money off what should be a fairly lucrative licence.

Atari is doing the bare minimum to keep the license. Or nobody wants to develop games off it.

Atari has no money. They sold off the bit that made money (Atari Europe) to Namco Bandai and now it's pretty much death spiral time- they were having troubles financing as far back as NWN2 where a german investment firm (BVT; who had somewhat less success in financing Arcania) provided most of the moneys. I'd be surprised if Obsidian at least weren't genuinely very keen to make more D&D titles but you'd be mad or... optimistic to enter a contract with Atari at the moment without guaranteed and preferably independant financing.

Edited by Zoraptor

I wish we could get a game again that is like the old black eye / realms of arkania. Sucks that nobody made an easy to use engine clone yet (that I am aware of). Then one could create their own campaigns in Aventuria without some bigger aggravation.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Since Cryptic is up for sale.

As in the guys who made City of Heroes and Star Trek Online and Champions Online?

Huh, be hilarious if they're purchased by Paragon Studios/NCsoft.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale does a big thing bad. Bedlam Games has shown no lack of ambition in creating a $15 downloadable title with all the constituent elements of a traditional action-RPG. Unfortunately, most of those elements are half-baked, and become even less baked as the game goes on, culminating in a completely uncooked, laughably ill-conceived final boss battle. (That is not hyperbole. You will laugh at the final boss battle.)

It's not just a bad game, it's a terrible use of Wizards of the Coast's timeless license. Even when boiled down to its core combat mechanics, D&D is cerebral, challenging, intense, and infinitely rewarding. Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale is just a game about hitting monsters until treasure falls out of them.

After what joystiq did in the conduit 2 review Conduit 2 review I can't trust ANYTHING that is printed on that site - bunch of unprofessional scumbags at their worst.

While the game very well may be bad, I feel that an alternative review site should be linked. Review

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

After what joystiq did in the conduit 2 review Conduit 2 review I can't trust ANYTHING that is printed on that site - bunch of unprofessional scumbags at their worst.

While the game very well may be bad, I feel that an alternative review site should be linked. Review

Gametrailers does a lot of terrible reviews too. Also its not really fair to dismiss one reviewer because of the missteps of another. Same site or not.

Gametrailers does a lot of terrible reviews too. Also its not really fair to dismiss one reviewer because of the missteps of another. Same site or not.

Joystiq published something entirely unprofessional.

Its not so much about bad reviews, you cannot give away a games ending in a review, that is wrong on so many levels, and despite how bad any review site may be, I do believe that directing people elsewhere isn't a bad idea.

Its not a personal slight C2B, I'm just pissed off at Joystiq for publishing the article, not being of a negative review.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Chaos is a pain in the ass. No one has yet made a save against it and it's got a damn good spread radius that usually allows it to hit multiple characters if not all of them in the tight quarters inside the mines.

Since save is made at -4 penalty, you'd have to be damn lucky to save without Chaotic Commands. Things is, I don't think it's even possible to get Chaotic Commands in BG1.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.