RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

is might and magic 6 worth playing at this point if I've never played a might and magic game?

IMO, M&M 6 is one of the best rpgs ever made, the highpoint of the franchise and the last one before the series turned into junk. There are some annoying bits to be sure, but every game has those. M&M 6 has fewer than most.

However, I don't know if anyone who wasn't gaming at the time would enjoy it's mechanics if they were first coming to it now.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

M&M 6 is really grindy and features some pretty broken mechanics.

There's huge numbers of enemies to be sure but I never found it grindy in a mmorpg way. It's just the gameplay style. I do think it would be a difficult play for anyone who is used to DA or ME or even Oblivion.

Plus there is the party combat from a first-person viewpoint which I think would be really offputting to a gamer who didn't grow up with the style when it was common.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah, I think of the character creation process for M&M 6-8 more as creating one bizarre 4-headed beast than as creating a party of adventurers.

Also: Knight, Paladin, Druid, Sorcerer.

Does HOMM3 work like the later Age of Wonders series in that you're not only travelling with your heroes with RPG items and fighting turn based battles, but you're also navigating an overland map and dealing with strategic city-grabbing elements too?

I found I love games that do the former (FF Tactics, Shining Force 2, etc) but never really enjoyed the latter.

Does HOMM3 work like the later Age of Wonders series in that you're not only travelling with your heroes with RPG items and fighting turn based battles, but you're also navigating an overland map and dealing with strategic city-grabbing elements too?

I found I love games that do the former (FF Tactics, Shining Force 2, etc) but never really enjoyed the latter.

Not sure how the later Age of Wonders series works, but yes, you do have a basic resource management and city grabbing aspect to it. Thats what provides your heroes with the cannon fodder that follows you into battle (and what allows you to upgrade units).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thats what provides your heroes with the cannon fodder that follows you into battle

IIRC, HOMM4 is very different. that's why it has a strong fan-base, despite the fact that HOMM3 fans hate it.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Why doesn't Obsidian do THIS with their press releases?

http://kotaku.com/5789756/please-let-this-...-press-releases

AWSUM!!!111ONE

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

There's huge numbers of enemies to be sure but I never found it grindy in a mmorpg way. It's just the gameplay style. I do think it would be a difficult play for anyone who is used to DA or ME or even Oblivion.

Plus there is the party combat from a first-person viewpoint which I think would be really offputting to a gamer who didn't grow up with the style when it was common.

my first crpg was fallout in 1997 (at which time it became my favorite game and spawned my love of the crpg). I see that M&M 6 came out in 1998, the same year as baldurs gate, so it cant be THAT archaic right?

I only played jrpg's until fallout, so I haven't played any crpg's released before 1997. which in part, inspired my initial question.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

my first crpg was fallout in 1997 (at which time it became my favorite game and spawned my love of the crpg). I see that M&M 6 came out in 1998, the same year as baldurs gate, so it cant be THAT archaic right?

It can.

Some dungeons in game may actually need days to clear providing you won't hit respawn time by the time your done.

Add to that the seriously unbalanced spells - if you miss the right magic path you can screw yourself permanetly.

In short - there is a reason why M&M and Wizardry series died out.

Besides there are better candidates for seeing older WRPG more in line with standards Fallout/BG would later establish - you can check the likes of Dark Sun, Realms of Arkania or even Betrayal duology.

They are a little older tho and it can be felt on the graphic/UI front.

I only played jrpg's until fallout, so I haven't played any crpg's released before 1997. which in part, inspired my initial question.

BG is far more user friendly and intuitive (gameplay wise, presuming you're familiar with DnD). There is a large leap in game design between those two games, and its pretty obvious which one has aged better. You'd never guess they were from the same year if you didn't know it in the first place.

I tried playing M&M 6 and 7 and I could never get into it. To me it seemed dated even then.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

BG is far more user friendly and intuitive (gameplay wise, presuming you're familiar with DnD).

Nope. I wasn't familiar with D&D when I first played BG and it worked fine for me. Only thing I didn't get was how Armor Class seemed to go "the wrong way", that's the only thing that didn't work for me right away.

IIRC, HOMM4 is very different. that's why it has a strong fan-base, despite the fact that HOMM3 fans hate it.

HOMM4 is incredibly different. You can have hero-less armies, or those with multiple heroes, combat works differently, fortifications are substantially less useful, and there are a ton of other differences.

Heroes 5 is basically Nival saying, "You know what was awesome? Heroes 3. Lets make that but 3D."

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

All this long waiting, all the hype, all the boobs and cool proverbs, and then it turns out to be a bad and outdated game.

Slap some regenerating healh on and lower the number of guns Duke can carry and there, good as new.

The game has been stuck in development hell for over a decade and you think the developers have taken the "easy route"?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm pretty sure Morgoth is referring to the fact Duke Nukem is simplifying the FPS gameplay considerably. I read an interview in Game Informer and they are basically leaving out a lot of the staples in most modern FPS's like using cover and decent AI. It doesn't bother me, they are going retro, and if there is a shrink-ray I'm plenty happy.

isnt being able to hold more than 2 weapons making the gameplay LESS simple?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.