RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

They say that enemies later will not always be visible on the map, it's just not includet yet. So that must have changed then since the last time.

It still looks pretty bad to me. Especially how they fire their bullets like rambo and nobody cares.. reminds me of Hot Shots 2, that "longer.. and longer.. and longer.." scene.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Back in Action, I played Jagged Alliance, I knew Jagged Alliance, Jagged Allience was a favourite of mine. Back in Action, you're no Jagged Alliance :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Back in Action, I played Jagged Alliance, I knew Jagged Alliance, Jagged Allience was a favourite of mine. Back in Action, you're no Jagged Alliance :sorcerer:

Aye, after seeing that I'm not really expecting anything from that game.

Hate the living, love the dead.

the interface is awful... and what's up with the trees not disappearing when your men are under them?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

JA2 had a cover system... you can hide behind rocks, get up, shoot, and hide again... there's no better cover system than this

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

JA2 had a cover system... you can hide behind rocks, get up, shoot, and hide again... there's no better cover system than this

There could be. Jagged Alliance 2 was basically the swan song for the tactical turn based games and combat systems, the development is lagging almost 15 years behind more recent (popular) games like FPS.

Modern cover system would take account the material resistance for high impact objects, bullet velocity, fragmentation, ricochet, shockwaves from granades and other expolsives. There's countless ways to take advantage of the power of modern computers and graphics card (for physical calculations). Cover system don't have to be just standing, kneel and prove - it could be seamless and movement speed to match it. You also don't have to stand up and shoot from cover, you could also use suppressive fire while totally in cover, or shoot from sides of the object (rather then always above it). Heck, in some cases you could even move the cover (if not for the complite protection, at least for visibility cover) like boxes, thin sheet metal plates, cars and car doors (not much protection there :rolleyes: ). You could do leaps, slides or barrelrolls for quick movement between covers or to escape for the cover.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

That is an improvement, but first i'd like them to write AI that can counter you using only JA2 cover system. When they do that, then improving players options can be discussed.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Mike Laidlaw was also the Lead Writer on JE1, your point Nightshape?

He wasn't the only one.

Writer != Designer

Different job.

It's all rumour mill what I've heard, so I won't elaborate.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Mike Laidlaw was also the Lead Writer on JE1, your point Nightshape?

He wasn't the only one.

Writer != Designer

Different job.

There are two Lead Writers listened in the credits. Lukas Kristjanson and Mike Laidlaw.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox/jade-empire

Edited by C2B

Writer != Designer

Different job.

Well, see, he's a capable writer and designer. Your point again?

His point is, again, that he has supa sekret info he will reference, but not share with "non-industry professionals" :rolleyes:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

More like Nightshape hates Mike for no apparent reason, other than the general consensus that DA2 sucked balls (which it didn't imo).

Mike Laidlaw was Lead on the infinitly worse Console Version of DA:O, hes responsible for many of the bad design decisions in 2 and hes a creepy guy in real-life (At least in video interviews).

Not enough to hate him but I dislike him too.

Edited by C2B

I've always found it kind of curious that Laidlaw is the mouthpiece for DA, and not the Project Director (as is on the ME side, where Casey Hudson does all the talking and Preston Watamaniuk is basically not there). I couldn't even say off the top of my head who's the DA project director...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Back in Action, I played Jagged Alliance, I knew Jagged Alliance, Jagged Allience was a favourite of mine. Back in Action, you're no Jagged Alliance >_<

Aye, after seeing that I'm not really expecting anything from that game.

Yeah, that didn't look good. I was giving this new team the benefit of the doubt, but it is starting to look like another weak attempt at turning JA2 into a RT game.

I don't really get the aversion to TB combat developers have. Civ 5, HoMM, and King's Bounty have all shown that there is success to be had using turn-based mechanics.

Edited by Hurlshot

People like fast paced action, I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Mike Laidlaw was Lead on the infinitly worse Console Version of DA:O"

DA1 console > DA1 PC

That is fact.

P.S. I love the eprsonal attacks against game designers. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd say that a system that doesn't need a separate overlay for judging proper cover location would be an improvement. Not to mention actually do the hiding faze automatically in response to being shot at.

I don't really get the aversion to TB combat developers have. Civ 5, HoMM, and King's Bounty have all shown that there is success to be had using turn-based mechanics.

Civ 5 TB combat is a poor example as it quickly resulted in players winning wars with 30 to 1 unit loss ratio. TB systems in general tend to be deeply flawed and confusing to newer players.

If you really want to hate the ja2 remake just wait for the presentation of the strategic layer.

You can already see vehicles on the tactical map that would make a major strategic resource in ja2.

Something tells make that

"Mike Laidlaw was Lead on the infinitly worse Console Version of DA:O"

DA1 console > DA1 PC

That is fact.

P.S. I love the eprsonal attacks against game designers. LMAO

No.

Compared to other console games the combat was one of the worst ever and the absolute anthithesis of fun.

"Compared to other console games the combat was one of the worst ever and the absolute anthithesis of fun."

No. Comapred to other console games the combat was one of the best ever and the absolute definition of fun.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

More like Nightshape hates Mike for no apparent reason, other than the general consensus that DA2 sucked balls (which it didn't imo).

What? I don't hate Mike... I think he's responsible for some design desicions in a game that I don't agree with, but HATE... Come on...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!