RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

I thought it was already established that Revan got owned by the Emperor of the True Sith.

So a Palpatine ripoff. Fascinating.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I thought it was already established that Revan got owned by the Emperor of the True Sith.

So a Palpatine ripoff. Fascinating.

I don't get it?

Palpatine didn't own or get owned by any true Sith. He killed his master Darth Plagueis who certainly wasn't true Sith (because he was seeking the lost knowledge of the Sith, no matter if true or not). Then he trained Maul, who got killed by Obi. Skywalker killed Dooku (manipulated by Palpatine). Later Darth Vader killed Palpatine.

Ain't true Sith just some splinter group of extremely powerful half-breed force sensitive beings from the Korriban. Who left before or during the Great Hyperspace War, over millenia before Exar Kun, Revan or Exile.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

It's more in his mannerisms and personality than what he did.

Point is, Malak was a dumb villain, KotOR2's antagonist(s) were miles ahead, and now we're back to generic ugly old evil warlock.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Ain't true Sith just some splinter group of extremely powerful half-breed force sensitive beings from the Korriban. Who left before or during the Great Hyperspace War, over millenia before Exar Kun, Revan or Exile.

Bio ret-conned that so that the "true" sith are just sort of pure idealistic sith who've lived on the fringes and built up their empire, while the stuff from the Great Hyperspace war and the Sith War (as Massassi) was just a splinter group of THAT. In the same vein that Mandalorians got hit with a fairly hefty retcon for similar reasons.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Guest Slinky
Point is, Malak was a dumb villain, KotOR2's antagonist(s) were miles ahead, and now we're back to generic ugly old evil warlock.

I'm not sure Nihilus and Sion are better than Malak.

Nihilus: A guy who is more like black hole than a humanoid, who can kill all life from planets

Sion: A guy who keeps his body together by sheer will and can't seemingly be killed

Malak: A guy without chin and has a cape.

Too bad Obsidian didn't have time to give all the love Nihilus and Sion deserved, especially Nihilus ended up just as a quick sidequest.

I'm not sure Nihilus and Sion are better than Malak.

Maybe not in execution, but the idea was infinitely more interesting than Malak.. Hunger, Pain and Betrayal were your enemies in K2 (sounds almost like an old Norse myth actually) whereas brutal-but-ultimately-short-sighted prot

Fortune favors the bald.

It's Ignus/ Vhailor vs Sarevok, basically. In any case the antagonist in K2 is clearly Kreia rather than her two muppets. And I think everyone would agree that Sion and Nihilus are better than Malak's offsiders Darth Bandon and Kalo Nord...

Some of the SW books are pretty decent and some are remarkably dire- I read most of the old ones when I had a semester at uni where I had a six hours break between two lectures. The first three books by Tim Zahn are probably most like the movies, while the ones by Matt Stover are best if you're into pseudo-philosophical wank like I am.

Considering how anal Lucas licensing gets about stuff, I doubt that retconning will take place.

Their retcon policy isn't at all absolute any more, Drew K retconned the Jedi vs Sith comics extensively for his Darth Bane novelisation and given what happened in the game things like having both the Disciple and Handmaiden in the same party is already a retcon.

Edited by Zoraptor

Kalo Nord was cool. Bioware already retconned Kotor 2 because in TOR timeline it says Revan and Malak met the Sith Emperor, while according to Kreia it never happened.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

what happened in the game things like having both the Disciple and Handmaiden in the same party is already a retcon.

Kind of disagree with you here, I'd call it "gratuitously trampling over the player", since no part of the game had been established as canonical before the change. Of course, I should probably just be happy that my favourite character (the Handmaiden, and no it's not because of the naked fighting but in spite of it) wasn't just wiped away based on the other decisions that were made.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It's the slight ret-con on the Hyperspace War - The "original" Sith/Dark Jedi got into the war, then the Republic stormed in and wiped them all out.

The ret-con being that certain Lords fled into the dark reaches of space unknown by the Republic and spent the next millenia slowly rebuilding.

What kind of scares me is I was in a gaming group that did that with the Star Wars d20 pnp ... playing the dark side characters in the run up to the Hyperspace War and then during and after. Which led to much fun sith politics in the background and had some characters arranging the whole flee-ing thing. Which has me going "Hey! Bio Stole that Idea!" :p

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Another step on the way to the total annihilation of everything that is good and decent :

"Portal 2 will probably be Valve's last game with an isolated single-player experience,"
http://kotaku.com/#!5795355/valve-prob...le+player-games Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It could be as simple as including co-op options to the SP. Like other shooters, such as Halo and Gears of War.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think you might need to look up the definition of a cutscene.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yay, now both Gordon and Shepard can jump around like morons during cutscenes.
Fixed. :thumbsup:

Sorry, that's what goes for cutscenes in HL2. Ie you get locked into an area with some talking going on somewhere.

That's still better than having a locked letterbox cutscene.

Unskippable cutscenes FTW!