RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

quick: someone tell me the best non bioware, non black isle rpg released between the year of 1995 and 1999. bonus point if its turn based.

Chrono Cross...but the release date only is accomplished if you allow the Foreign release date.

I think some would say Final Fantasy VII is the best one, and yes FFVII was released on computer.

Personally, I thought it was on a PS1 with the Lunar Eternal Blue Complete, or Lunar Silver Star Complete...

All of these are JRPG's however instead of WRPGs...but you didn't specify that they had to be for PC or non-JRPG's...

:)

Lunar Silver Star Complete...
Silver Star Harmony was released last year. It was sweeeeet.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

quick: someone tell me the best non bioware, non black isle rpg released between the year of 1995 and 1999. bonus point if its turn based.

Fallout

(which happened to be released before Black Isle was officially created)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Fallout

(which happened to be released before Black Isle was officially created) :w00t:

You forgot something on your post. fixed it

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, unless you go down the JRPG rabbit hole, the cupboard is pretty bare. Apart from what has already been mentioned, you have Might and Magic 6 & 7, Return to Krondor, and Lands of Lore 2 & 3 to pick from in that time period.

Edit: If you count re-releases, add Wizardry Gold, which was a 1996 update of 1992's Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (which was a damn fine game).

Edited by Enoch

I would mention Heroes of Might and Magic III (1999), but despite being a "hybrid", it does lean more towards strategy then roleplaying.

Edit: @Orogun01 :w00t:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Nice. I do hope it'll be turn based and isometric :D

IIRC it will be more Might and Magic II/III ish... Which I honestly would LOVE. <3 But again I'm not sure.

I bought, played and enjoyed both of the Eschalon games they've released so far. They're both turn-based, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Good news!

Ps. All you people whining about there being too few turn based games nowadays: buy the Eschalons, you cheap bastards.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I found Eschalon II to be fun but limited - after one playthrough there wasn't much point going through the humdrum story and silly press-once-to-move-one-tile controls. Still worth it, IMO, very fun in that on eplaythrough in good ol' dungeon crawlin'.

KOTC looks fun but I'm afraid I won't be able to handle the graphics/UI, not so much that it's too old as... just really gets on my nerves.

Nice. I do hope it'll be turn based and isometric :D

IIRC it will be more Might and Magic II/III ish... Which I honestly would LOVE. <3 But again I'm not sure.

I bought, played and enjoyed both of the Eschalon games they've released so far. They're both turn-based, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Good news!

Ps. All you people whining about there being too few turn based games nowadays: buy the Eschalons, you cheap bastards.

I have both Eschalon games and i loved them, a bit too easy towards the end but very enjoyable. Will buy Book III as well, once they make it.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

i'm pretty surprised at the varied responses, I was sort of expecting everyone to all say "____ of course".

is might and magic 6 worth playing at this point if I've never played a might and magic game?

I'm in the middle of a semi-retro rpg kick, i'm playing septerra core right now, finished BG1-2 recently, fallout1-2 recently, and am considering chrono cross next (i havent played it since it was released, I really liked it when it came out though).

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So.. wait.. the crying that the rights were s'tolen' from them wwrrw rong? They simply sold them the rights for a certain amount of time? L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't blame them, but it's ill-advised to be so vocal about the reasons.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

is might and magic 6 worth playing at this point if I've never played a might and magic game?

The nostalgia factor is strong for me with these titles, but here's my shot at an objective rundown:

M&M 6 is really grindy and features some pretty broken mechanics. The story is transparent (with one significant twist that it shares with every other M&M game) and none of the characters are all too memorable. But it scratches a lot of the retro-CRPG itches-- satisfying ability progression, good loot, lots of diverse environments, and a few interesting puzzles (along with some unfortunate button-hunting puzzles). It was also the first CRPG I played where the Fly spell wasn't an abstraction-- it actually meant soaring majestically over the landscape, which was a huge draw. Flying around, dropping meteor swarms on crowds of enemies is easily the most fun thing you can do in the game. (It's also really overpowered.)

M&M 7 is probably a better game, in that it fixed some of the broken mechanics and it presented the player with a good/evil story decision to make (a binary choice, but still better than nothing, and there are some neat consequences built into the choice-- different character abilities open up, and towns aligned with the opposite group will become hostile when you pick a side). It also included one of the best card-based minigames ever.

Both titles are available GoG, and I think they're priced the same. But M&M 6 comes with M&Ms 1-5 included. (And M&M 4-5 is worthwhile. When both games are installed, your party can travel between the two settings, and complete a broader over-arching main quest that encompasses both worlds. It's my go-to netbook time-killer.)

The nostalgia factor is strong for me with these titles, but here's my shot at an objective rundown:

M&M 6 is really grindy and features some pretty broken mechanics. The story is transparent (with one significant twist that it shares with every other M&M game) and none of the characters are all too memorable. But it scratches a lot of the retro-CRPG itches-- satisfying ability progression, good loot, lots of diverse environments, and a few interesting puzzles (along with some unfortunate button-hunting puzzles). It was also the first CRPG I played where the Fly spell wasn't an abstraction-- it actually meant soaring majestically over the landscape, which was a huge draw. Flying around, dropping meteor swarms on crowds of enemies is easily the most fun thing you can do in the game. (It's also really overpowered.)

M&M 7 is probably a better game, in that it fixed some of the broken mechanics and it presented the player with a good/evil story decision to make (a binary choice, but still better than nothing, and there are some neat consequences built into the choice-- different character abilities open up, and towns aligned with the opposite group will become hostile when you pick a side). It also included one of the best card-based minigames ever.

Both titles are available GoG, and I think they're priced the same. But M&M 6 comes with M&Ms 1-5 included. (And M&M 4-5 is worthwhile. When both games are installed, your party can travel between the two settings, and complete a broader over-arching main quest that encompasses both worlds. It's my go-to netbook time-killer.)

Best thing about GoG, it really does appeal to the netbook crowd. My GoG collection is fairly large, and yeah... I've actually bought some titles again, despite having them on CD, so I can play them on my Netbook.

I just can't believe Eschalon doesn't run too great on it... It's not like there is anything complex going off, shame really... Just poor code.

Anyhoo... potatoes.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

thanks enoch that was really helpful!

I'll probably pick up the gog M&M 1-6 pack, seems like a good deal. if I remotely enjoy those games then I'll pick up part 7 when I have some more time again

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Question remains whether the license will be worth anything by then, we're lucky that Arcania decided to push its own name.

To be honest though, PB have made the exact same game 4 times now, perhaps 5 with R2, and they should really move on.

Question remains whether the license will be worth anything by then, we're lucky that Arcania decided to push its own name.

To be honest though, PB have made the exact same game 4 times now, perhaps 5 with R2, and they should really move on.

He does say he wants to try something new in that interview.