FO: NV (General Discussion)

Bethesda are probably happy-slash-angry right now. They've made a ton of cash, but their inhouse dev team has been thoroughly 'pouwnedh' by the Obsidian guys. But this might be a sweet deal, keep those awful people working on crap like The Oblivion Scrolls or whatever those game are called

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Maybe they'll cry themselves to sleep and dry the tears with hundred dollar bills.

lol I'm sure they'd make out pretty well.

I haven't been following Obsids lately. Not for probably over a year, at least. Anyhow, New Vegas moves them forward quite a bit, so maybe they can start a new franchise. I never purchased Alpha Protocol, but it doesn't seem that one took off in the same way New Vegas has. Hopefully Obsidian can create a new game universe and really move on from there.

In the meantime, I'm lovin' New Vegas.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

with a couple of additional programmers they're more than capable of building a game of the same size and quality

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

VGChartz posts guesstimates (pretty good most of the time, but still inaccurate) only of the US sales iirc, while these are worldwide number. Still, yeah, these are shipped numbers, not sales. Still, I do remember Fallout 3 shipping less copies (around 4 millions?), so from that point of view it's doing better. Of course, Morgoth also has a point: Fallout 3 paved the way in the first place, and it's likely that among those sales the majority are from people who thought "more of the same = great!". Hopefully most of those people are satisfied, but alas, there's no way to check that (and forums are pretty unreliable when it comes to that, being prone to house a lot of negativity after release).

So really, overall, it's a really good number for Obsidian, but they've still got a way to go.

And the comparison to Bioware seems, frankly, unwarranted, unless yeah, people are trying to summon Volo.

what's up with the "shipped=not sold"? don't retailers buy the game from the publisher? (as you can see I don't know anything about selling stuff, so it does sound stupid to me, when they say Beth made 300 million without selling anything, but "shipping" it, I mean, what's the difference?) :ermm:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

wait, does this mean, NV did better than ME2 and DAO combined? eat your heart out, Bioware!

Nope. It's down on ME2 numbers after 2 weeks(360 comparison), but only by a 100k. But it has done better then Fallout 3.

Evidence? When did ME2 ever ship 5 million units, or made $300 million? Btw, VGChartz is global, NPD is US only, but NPD is also a lot more reliable.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

what's up with the "shipped=not sold"? don't retailers buy the game from the publisher? (as you can see I don't know anything about selling stuff, so it does sound stupid to me, when they say Beth made 300 million without selling anything, but "shipping" it, I mean, what's the difference?) :ermm:

Sell-in is what's shipped to retailers. Sell-through is what is sold from retail to customers.

Hm, can I get a copy if I mail Obsidian a cheque ? :ermm:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

still doesn't make much sense to me, Josh, since both have the word "sell" in them :ermm:

and then there's this:

Beth are taking re-orders from retailers
Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

Bethesda are probably happy-slash-angry right now. They've made a ton of cash, but their inhouse dev team has been thoroughly 'pouwnedh' by the Obsidian guys. But this might be a sweet deal, keep those awful people working on crap like The Oblivion Scrolls or whatever those game are called

I imagine they're just happy--happy that many people seem to be enjoying the game and happy that it looks to be a commercial success.

I imagine they're just happy--happy that many people seem to be enjoying the game and happy that it looks to be a commercial success.

They probably are, but we're still all going to imagine them envious and angry because this the Obsidian forum, a place where we all substitute reality with our own. :ermm:

I don't know how I'd feel about Obsidian doing another Fallout game. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing some other, perhaps original, works from them. Maybe they have the teams to do both, however. And Bethesda I'd prefer to see working on Elder Scrolls 5.

In short, I'm not in a hurry to see Fallout 4 from anyone.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hopefully these sales numbers will convince Bethesda that Obsidian should do the next Fallout game. :sorcerer:

I think Bethy are doing F4.

Wouldn't mind though if Bethy publishes another (original) Obsidian game.

Well if Bethesda do a Fallout 4 I'll pass on it then. Hopefully they will then shortly after allow Obsidian to then do a proper Fallout 4 after it. Fallout: New Seattle would be awesome. :sorcerer:

Hopefully these sales numbers will convince Bethesda that Obsidian should do the next Fallout game. :sorcerer:

I think Bethy are doing F4.

Wouldn't mind though if Bethy publishes another (original) Obsidian game.

Well if Bethesda do a Fallout 4 I'll pass on it then. Hopefully they will then shortly after allow Obsidian to then do a proper Fallout 4 after it. Fallout: New Seattle would be awesome. :sorcerer:

Fallout : EC :shifty: