FO: NV (General Discussion)

Like in Fallout 1. I finished my first playthrough at around level 15 (Level cap 21) and it was only in a later playthrough that through massive farming of xp I was able to reach the cap ( just to check out the sniper perk!).

exactly :aiee:

Can't agree. With doing all quests in Fallout 1, I reach approx level 18 or 19 at the end of the game *without* ever farming xp on purpose. I hate farming xp, it's a horrible game "mechanic" and I want to avoid it as often as I can.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I know this is a FONV topic, but could people spoiler tag stuff like the final battle?

Cliff Briscoe shows up during the final battle controlling Dinky the Dinosaur. Apparently he is the true mastermind behind Caesar's Legion.

I thought it was pretty stupid how we go through this wild west frontier/manifest destiny tale only to end up in a Godzilla knockoff. But what are you going to do?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I know this is a FONV topic, but could people spoiler tag stuff like the final battle?

Cliff Briscoe shows up during the final battle controlling Dinky the Dinosaur. Apparently he is the true mastermind behind Caesar's Legion.

I thought it was pretty stupid how we go through this wild west frontier/manifest destiny tale only to end up in a Godzilla knockoff. But what are you going to do?

You have to admit that the reveal that Dinky was actually a prototype of a superweapon created with plans stolen from China was pretty cool.

As was the Metal Gear Solid 4 knockoff with the final unarmed battle on top of Dinky.

Really cinematic.

Right, finished the game for the first time. Absolutely positively one kick-ass game and easily the game of the year for me, bravo Obsidian! In my books this game is more Fallout 3 than the crapfest from Beth can even dream to be.

Applause, Obsidian, applause!

And encore, pretty please?

Right, finished the game for the first time. Absolutely positively one kick-ass game and easily the game of the year for me, bravo Obsidian! In my books this game is more Fallout 3 than the crapfest from Beth can even dream to be.

Applause, Obsidian, applause!

And encore, pretty please?

We are in agreement.

What I want to see on the other hand is a low level, unique IP, isometric, fantasy RPG.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

What I want to see on the other hand is a low level, unique IP, isometric, fantasy RPG.

they don't even make these in Japan anymore. your only hope lies with indie developers, and nothing good can come from those (is Deathspank isometric?)

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

There are like a gazillion lame fantasy games out there, there is no reason to go add more to that pile. It's like saying "Gee, Id really love me a generic WW2 shooter right now, there so few of those and I feel that the genre has so much more to give"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Without XP, one might as well go play STALKER, which does both survival & shooting way better. And atmosphere. And AI.

I personally got really frustrated with the stupid endlessly respawning enemies at some areas and stopped playing. Not sure if some patch actually fixed this issue. I disagree about the atmosphere though, big part of gaming atmosphere for me is dialogue/story and well Stalker really didn't shine in that category (at least not from what I could see).

Hate the living, love the dead.

I've always thought that STALKER was overrated. Not grossly overrated, but overrated nonetheless. I enjoyed playing it, but New Vegas is so much better on so many levels.

I wouldn't mind a game crafted to be low level, especially in a fantasy setting where it's not a matter of the most powerful specific weapon so much as a whole host of powerful abilites and weapons spread over a party.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

STALKER had a certain charm that was brilliant when it worked, it's sort of a b-league game though so its not fair to compare it with FNV. I mean, neither one of the three stalker games are playable without mods.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

STALKER had a certain charm that was brilliant when it worked, it's sort of a b-league game though so its not fair to compare it with FNV. I mean, neither one of the three stalker games are playable without mods.

Nonsense, I played vanilla CoP and enjoyed every minute of it. When the atmosphere works, and it does most of the time - the game is unrivaled.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Remember when I said I wish there was a subtle romance option with Boone? Just wanted to say I don't anymore. Not in terms of the game plots anyway (inside my head might be another story). His tale is so woeful that it would seem rude to romance him. Not that kind of character. I very much liked roleplaying his one friend in the world, tho. It still made me feel 'special' so that was good enough. :D

In terms of XP....I do love making my character more powerful, but that doesn't always mean more actual xp or skill points...new gear and tactics are just as important from my perspective, especially in this game seems like. But since I can get high lvl weapons at lvl 3 w/hardly trying, I focus on trying to change the former. And yeah, there's always going to be those few certain clusters or quest groups that can be difficult to deal with. I just want the whole game to feel more overall challenging plus have those few very tough spots.

If those deathclaws ignore DT (which is cheating, I agree) then from now on I'm going to fight them all wearing my skivvies! Maybe it'll scare them into submission.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Still waiting for the big PC patch so I can buy/play this... hurry up obs! :p

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I get such a kick out of Boone. I was running around and we were literally swarmed by those blue stinging insects. As he died he said, "Heh. I always knew you'd get me killed." lol I love it. Veronica is a sweeite, I guess, but apparently my male characater is not her type. Plus she yacks constantly. Charming, but grating sometimes. ...And Cass is definitely damaged goods. So's Boone, for that matter, although I've never thought of romancing him. Never really considered romancing any of the npcs. There doesn't seem to be the option and I'm happy that the romances, if they're in the game, aren't intrusive.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

But what you're saying to us is that you gave it some thought.

I get such a kick out of Boone. I was running around and we were literally swarmed by those blue stinging insects. As he died he said, "Heh. I always knew you'd get me killed." lol I love it. Veronica is a sweeite, I guess, but apparently my male characater is not her type. Plus she yacks constantly. Charming, but grating sometimes. ...And Cass is definitely damaged goods. So's Boone, for that matter, although I've never thought of romancing him. Never really considered romancing any of the npcs. There doesn't seem to be the option and I'm happy that the romances, if they're in the game, aren't intrusive.

The voice files indicate there's a lot of such tiny lines companions can say but for some reason during course of play most won't ever hear them. I don't know what triggers them all. Every great once in a while Boone says something new, and it does make me laugh.

I wanted to try Cass in my current test/play but since I'm lvl 3 with a Barter & Speech of about 14 each, I can't pass the quest that makes her available to recruit. ::sadpanda::

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

But what you're saying to us is that you gave it some thought.

Not really until I saw LC's post, but then I did think about it. However, I guess you could say that I must have been thinking about it in the back of my head without knowing it to have such specific thoughts to post. :Cant's wolfish grin icon: I don't know. Call me a hopeless romantic, but my favorite romance in any game is between the nameless one and the ghost in PS:T.

Obsidian Plays

I'm still baffled why there is no [Cherchez La Femme] dialogue with Veronica. There is one with Cass, but it just leads to an awkward moment.

Overall I am disappointed with many of the Lady Killer-like options too. Though they do seem to be pretty powerful when you use them, which is probably why they are less common.

Overall I am disappointed with many of the Lady Killer-like options too. Though they do seem to be pretty powerful when you use them, which is probably why they are less common.

Unless I missed a whole load of dialogue options, I can only recall being able to use it two or three times.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I used it maybe 3 times, too. One of those was just a throwaway joke. Another was alongside like a perception check that would have ended the quest too.

I've been able to use it four or five times so far, I think, and that's fine given how it's pretty much a magic ticket to Speech success. You can use it with

the lady at the Gibson Scrap Yard, the 'high society' lady you get money out of at Freeside, I think someone in the Strip, maybe Ethel wife of angry cowboy man, and at least one other occasion.

And heck, I know I've missed heaps of things - I haven't even found the location with Veronica yet, missed it somehow.