Fallout: New Vegas

Pidesco

Is it better than?

Borderlands? Yes. (...)

Fallout 1 and 2? Yes. (...)

Fallout 3? No. At every turn, Fallout: New Vegas seems determined to one-up Fallout 3, but despite all the extra content, it never does. New Vegas may have more swagger in its step, but stomping through the sandy plains of the Mojave desert isn't quite as exciting as exploring the Capital Wasteland after taking your first steps out of Vault 101 in Fallout 3.

WTF?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!zomg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i was more astounded that a game could be both better than fallout 1 and 2 and worse than fallout 3 at the same time. the impossibility of it is tearing my mind apart like tissue in a hurricane.

edit: also, i so far have been way too busy doing quests to explore the world of new vegas, i like how the first half of the main quest kinda takes you on a loop around the south and middle of the map (its nice to know if you just follow the freeway you can avoid going into any overly dangerous areas out of order, but all the edges of the map have been totally untouched by my exploration.

i intend to be much more freeform in my exploration next playthrough

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

not to mention he said that fallout 1 and 2 were too "dated" to go back and play?? what a totally ridiculous statement, i play the originals every year or 2 and still love them and think the the kill animations are still leaps and bounds better than the slow-mo cam kills of 3 and NV.

bah.

humbug.

On a closing note

I do want to mention that some events in FNV are painfully unfunny, sometimes

even disgusting and on the border of acceptable as to what you can put into a

video game. This has nothing to do with gore, more so with ethics. Some of

those people at Obsidian should give me a call - as a psychologist student I'd

gladly study them as field cases.

Is it better than?

Fallout 1 and 2? Yes. (...)

Fallout 3? No.

what the hell are they smoking? that psychologist student needs serious psychiatric treatment. as for F3 being better than all other Fallout games combined - I'm left speechless :lol:

anyway, I found 2 very big and, potentially, broken quests, and it breaks my heart...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I managed to restrain myself from taking the Wild Wasteland perk on my first game, wanted to though, really badly :lol:

That was just dumb, it doesnt disrupt the game in any way so DO pick it. You just come across some fun hidden "I see what you did there" things if you happen to find them.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

we muscled through some of the xbox 360 game freeze issues in goodsprings and ventured out into the wasteland. from a technical issues pov, the game is running smoother... at least til we got near Nipton.

some o' you folks is off your nut. while fo:nv appears to improve some/many fo3 issues, the game doesn't play much different than fo3... and truth-to-tell, the setting o' fo3 were far more intriguing and better developed than what we has seen so far from fo:nv. However, we is not too far into new vegas, so is possible that obsidian's game will gain kewl points as we progress deeper into their most recent release. were fo3 a faithful adherent o' fallout canon and the avellone's fo bible? perhaps not, but am thinking that one o' the things bethesda did right in fo3 were that they did embrace the essence o' fo w/o bothering to follow the chapter and verse canon.

so far, the game plays very much like fo3... but w/o the originality o' the dc setting. SOME quest appears to be having more varied possible resolutions, which is a good thing, but we also got quite a bit o' simple filler as well. in any event, those folks pretending as if fo:nv is some kinda Salvation-of-Fallout is... nuts.

HA! Good Fun!

ps most disappointing is that the dialogues has not been noticeably improved from fo3. am fully aware that dialogue were not a strength o' fallout 1 or 2, and perhaps the developers did their best to hearken back to the stale writing o' the original games, but this were one aspect we were genuine expecting to see significant improvement.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

perhaps not, but am thinking that one o' the things bethesda did right in fo3 were that they did embrace the essence o' fo w/o bothering to follow the chapter and verse canon.

Is that meant ironic? Because Fallout 3 would have been so much better if they actually did that. The worst part about FO3 WERE its connections to the Fallout canon (Brotherhood, Enclave, supermutants)

Very nice UI Mod. Wish, Obsidian would have done something similar for all versions. :lol:

Oh my god! looks awesome! I did not think that was possible.

Edited by Irrelevant

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

I'm still in the first tiny town & surrounding areas. Where's the first merchant who repairs guns? Do I have to go to Vegas proper? I don't have anything to repair them myself with. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm still in the first tiny town & surrounding areas. Where's the first merchant who repairs guns? Do I have to go to Vegas proper? I don't have anything to repair them myself with. :lol:

You should be able to use any duplicate gun with any repair skill (you just get less repair per duplicate weapon).

Small location spoiler:

There's a person in an NCR Outpost to the SW of Primm (the first town south of the starting area) that can repair guns. There are also weapon repair kits that can be found in various places.

You should be able to use any duplicate gun with any repair skill (you just get less repair per duplicate weapon).

I've yet to find any duplicate guns, which is what I meant by not having anything to repair with. Which leads me to ask...are found/chest items random or will they be the same every playthrough?

It's difficult (but fun) when I'm not already familiar with how anything in the game world works (what items are useful to keep & so on) & the menus (especially the workbenches) aren't always intuitive/clear for me. :) At least the game sometimes comes up with an info message at points which has been helpful.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

J.E. did everything right with the guns. Everything. Everything and more.

dunno 'bout that... and at one point didn't he suggest that perception would impact ranged accuracy? am not seeing any change based on decreased/increased perception.

some folks is trying real hard to ignore problems with new vegas. am not certain why.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've yet to find any duplicate guns, which is what I meant by not having anything to repair with. Which leads me to ask...are found/chest items random or will they be the same every playthrough?

It's difficult (but fun) when I'm not already familiar with how anything in the game world works (what items are useful to keep & so on) & the menus (especially the workbenches) aren't always intuitive/clear for me. :) At least the game sometimes comes up with an info message at points which has been helpful.

1. Many containers are random while others are not. You can save, open a container, then reload and open it again.

2. The easiest way to find duplicate guns is to pick one that a certain faction uses. Ceaser's Legion tends to have Cowboy Repeaters while the NCA has Service Rifles. Early game, the NCA armor is the best I've found and all the different types of it can be joined together.

3. At the far south of the map is the Mojave Camp for the NCR where you can pay to have guns and armor restored to 100%. It can be expensive though. Outside of Novac is a Scrapyard where a woman can restor items to 80%. Armor only loses its usefulness under 50% while weapons only lose damage until 75%.

4. Feel free to abuse the fast travel system. If you fast travel to Goodsprings, there's an abandoned house right across from the saloon. I sleep there and stuff all the extra weapons, armor, and ammo there because I'm a pack rat. Sadly, I've managed to tap out all the merchants in the area so I'm running around with 5000+ bottle caps and it takes a half hour to scroll through the huge list.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

J.E. did everything right with the guns. Everything. Everything and more.

I'd certainly disagree.

If level scaling of regular guns can cause a serious problem for the player I imagine the same can apply to other weapon types.

I managed to restrain myself from taking the Wild Wasteland perk on my first game, wanted to though, really badly :)

That was just dumb, it doesnt disrupt the game in any way so DO pick it. You just come across some fun hidden "I see what you did there" things if you happen to find them.

I thought it was a good demonstration of restrain, leaving plenty of stuff to see in my second playthrough :)

@Maria Caliban - Thanks, that's helpful! :) I was wondering about having a "home base" since I'm at least a moderate packrat. There was an abandoned shack near another Fast Travel spot, I might use that. I like the idea of being a hermit packrat. haha

I can't look at enemies without their body parts violently exploding. It's like I have bloody mess, though I know I didn't pick it.

*point pistol at Gecko outside of VATS range*

*pull trigger*

*head explodes*

I kind of miss enemies just falling down dead.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Apparently, from what I've read, some fans of the old games still are on the fence about Obsidian's writing in NV (although they all agree that it is better than Bethesda's). I agree as well, but compared to Obsidian's other products, the writing could have been more improved upon. I'll admit it would be hard to make every quest and character interesting given the sheer size and scope of the world. And I'd much rather play NV than F3, but a lot of the characters lacked detailed backgrounds/diverse viewpoints/, etc.

Anyway, I'd appreciate someone else's analysis of the writing.

Strange...

I applied the fix mentioned in the first post. My FPS problems went away, making the game playable.

However, now I can't reload savegames without the game crashing out on me. When I remove that DLL and restart steam/reload the game, the saves keep crashing.

?!?!?

To be specific:

1. Apply "fix" from this thread.

2. Load a savegame, play for a bit. Autosave, manualsaves, quicksaves, whatever...

3. Play for a couple hours... for a while, the quicksaves will keep working if you die

4. At some random point, die or exit the game...

5. Try to reload from any of those quick/autosaves or manual saves, they crash the game.

I've tried reinstalling, blowing away configs, and even undoing the "fix"... those saves continue to crash the game. So... the game is almost unplayable WITHOUT the "fix", and unplayable WITH the "fix". Very frustrating.

Oh, and temo/ToggleEmotions isn't fixing the probelm. Only that DLL seems to fix it up.

I'd just sigh at the 37 lost hours and start over, but what's to guarantee that the same problem wouldn't happen again with a fresh start?

What's stranger is, I haven't seen ANYONE mention a similar problem so far, in all my google searches.