Dragon Age 2

OK Brainiac, what about this? I can make a multiplayer game of BG2 where I create and control all of the characters.

I'm playing a mp game... as a single player. MWuahahahahahahaaaaa!!! ETc.

Mechanics = multiplayer. Gameplay = SP.

I know folks who play the Conan MMO basically SP. They like the game, hate the other players. I'm not saying DA2 is a MMO, just that it adopts some of the concepts we associate with them.

sonsofgygax.JPG

That's because you are seeing it as a Massively Multiplayer Online game...correct?

But with the way Blizzard did Starcraft, with forcing you to authenticate online, and then you have to ensure you check in online at least once every 30 days, they only need a tweak and then they can guarantee that just to play you have to be online for the SP campaign.

Some people worry Blizzard are going to do that for their next games...sort of like Ubisoft. So if you have a TON of people playing SP online, what do you call it. I guess since it's strictly NOT Multiplayer...

Maybe Massively Online game? What do you call Assassin's Creed 2? It's an SP game, but you have to be online just like an MMO to play. Maybe a Massively Online RPG or MORPG or maybe a MORTS (RPG or RTS) when playing Single Player?

PS: I'm not seeing DA2 as having any real aspects connected to MMORPGs. For starters I expect that changes I make to the world could actually make changes to the world instead of reverting back to what they were five minutes later.

Edited by greylord

I think they're trying to say that the whole process, the gaming experience is so similar to modern MMORP games. when in the past MMO meant running around grinding mobs to get 100 lvl ups, today thanks to world of warcraft it's more like "get to a location - grab all the quests (fed-ex/farming/boss-monster) - complete all the quests, get a few lvl ups as a result - move to a new location - rinse and repeat". and that's exactly how modern fantasy RPGs look and play. when you think about it, older games have more of the same, but they kinda were the only ones back then. now that we have Guild Wars and WoW, and god knows what else, buying a single-player RPG just to receive the exact same thing is kinda stupid. personally I expect a lot more from modern AAA(AAAAA)-RPG titles. instead it's the same kind of old-school BS. game designers should know better.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Read Kotaku's hands on. Didn't really gleam anything new about it, but the narrative continues irks me. The "no, that's not how it happened" part in particular. It's not just one narrator telling the other narrator that their narration is incorrect, it seems like the narrator is telling the player that his play is incorrect. It takes away ownership of the character by telling you that it's wrong.

Origins didn't have a strong narrative, so it shouldn't bother me much. But it just seems silly.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

RPG's used to have good quest design, which is why I liked them. Now it's just the same repetitive Fed Ex quests.

Eh, I don't recall a time when RPGs didn't have Fed Ex style quests. o:)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Read Kotaku's hands on. Didn't really gleam anything new about it, but the narrative continues irks me. The "no, that's not how it happened" part in particular. It's not just one narrator telling the other narrator that their narration is incorrect, it seems like the narrator is telling the player that his play is incorrect. It takes away ownership of the character by telling you that it's wrong.

Origins didn't have a strong narrative, so it shouldn't bother me much. But it just seems silly.

My bet: It's lets players get an idea of how their character will play later on (by giving them more abilities) before wiping the slate and starting the actual game off.

I doubt this "exaggerated" scene lasts more than a few minutes.

fed ex quests aren't that bad if done right. but nobody seems to know how to do 'em right nowadays

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

That's wasn't a simple fetch quest either, since if you do it he then scams you, plus it's all part of the story of what a prick he is, not just a stand alone fetch quest from a random NPC. Also if you get the quest before you get to Kashyyk, you can get the gland while you're doing other stuff anyway, so there's really no extra effort involved.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"you can get the gland while you're doing other stuff anyway, so there's really no extra effort involved. "

By that defintion, nearly all the DA fecth quests including the board ones aren't fetch quests. That's illogical. They're fecth quests by defintion no matter hwo good or bad theya re.

Just like a RPG is a RPG no matter hwo good or bad it may be.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Most of the DA board quests you have to travel to a special little area and kill everything that moves. How's that not making a special effort to do the quest? Besides, almost all the sidequests in DA are like that, but that's a slightly different subject. And my original point was not only that it didn't require extra effort, but that it was actually related to the bigger story, not the usual random fetch quest.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I too doubt that Bioware has the drive (or the chops) to actually pull off a Rashomon-style narrative, but I'm not entirely sure this is how the game is going to constantly operate. It sounds as though the initial fight sequence doesn't actually have any choices. One hopes that they'd give the player at least some narrative control when it comes to the narrative.