What are you playing now

Gorth

the driving section in episode 2 of half life 2 is one of my favorite action scenes in any fps ever. my adrenaline was going through the roof during that extended sequence at the end

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I dislike episode 2 with a passion.

More of those "pick up item, move it, jump on it, pick up other item, move it, jump on it, repeat ad naseum" puzzles? CHECK

Defense mission? OH GOD DOUBLE CHECK

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I bought GTA:TfLC which has two games, The Lost and the Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony. I really wanted the original GTA4, but Best Buy didn't have any copies. I bought it for the PC. It runs decently, but I am getting some odd graphical glitches. I applied the most recent patch, but I can see why the console version is considered better.

I played the original GTA4 on my 360 back in the day.

the driving section in episode 2 of half life 2 is one of my favorite action scenes in any fps ever. my adrenaline was going through the roof during that extended sequence at the end

This.

Especially after missing a strider with the Magnusson Device and racing around to find another one, while all the time hunters are chasing me, and buildings are being destroyed... and then the air raid siren at the base goes off.

Gah. I don't normally yell at the screen when I'm playing a game, but damn.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

What's this? Hate for Half-life 2? And I thought I was the only one who hated it!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I love Half-Life 2. I just hate that god awful puzzle that first appeared in Sandtraps that they just can't stop repeating. They did it at least twice in Half-Life 2. And another time in Episode 2. STOP IT

Or I swear to science that I will... do absolutely nothing different.

Edited by Tale

They added those stupid puzzles in Episode 2 because otherwise Mr Freeman would have nothing to do but occasionally shine his light & watch how Alyx tears up everything. I'm sure the designers of Mass Effect 2 were inspired by it a lot.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

But Gordon is a physicist and the average Half-Life 2 players isn't. If the world's salvation isn't impeded by obstacles that can only be bypassed through the most simple grasp of weight and gravity then some average Joe would have stopped the Combine years ago. It just doesn't make sense for the world not to be littered with simple physics puzzles.

Honestly, Half Life two was a fantastic game... for when it came out, design wise, games have moved so much farther from that that it can be painful to go back. And the constant rehashing of the same thing in the episodes is not helping valve.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

But Gordon is a physicist and the average Half-Life 2 players isn't. If the world's salvation isn't impeded by obstacles that can only be bypassed through the most simple grasp of weight and gravity then some average Joe would have stopped the Combine years ago. It just doesn't make sense for the world not to be littered with simple physics puzzles.

BUT IT'S THE SAME PHYSICS PUZZLE RAZLEFRAZMAGONAGLEBADINGDONGHATREDALLOFMYHATE

i don't really feel like the gameplay is all that dated when I play it, which fps games have moved the genre forward since half life 2?

I know cover mechanics came later, but not every game benefits from having them imo, what else?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

HL2 was quite mediocre gameplay-wise, and not quite cutting edge in the technology department either. It's like what happened with Bioshock, sometimes a game gets this massive hype for no reason.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

HL2 was quite mediocre gameplay-wise, and not quite cutting edge in the technology department either. It's like what happened with Bioshock, sometimes a game gets this massive hype for no reason.

Gotta be honest, I thought the story and setting were the worst part. Everything was just boring, even the citadel and especially the characters. Although story-wise it got interesting near the end and Episode 2 was much better (since something was actually happening).

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

i don't really feel like the gameplay is all that dated when I play it, which fps games have moved the genre forward since half life 2?

I know cover mechanics came later, but not every game benefits from having them imo, what else?

They were one of the last with an actual HP meter rather than just a regen system. Also the narrative feels like you're in a traffic jam with the cutscenes having you stand there doing nothing while your partners argue about how the other is a complete bitch. This was fine the first time you played it, but when you had to keep doing it... urgh. Also the physics puzzles as has been mentioned have also been kinda done (in the time of HL2 clones) but have mostly moved on while Valve has done their best to keep it going saying "IT'S STILL AWESOME DAMNIT!" like Monolith did for FEAR2.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Picked up Risen today. It is actually really great so far, beautiful game, easy to play, fun to explore. It also runs perfect on my machine, but I did install a gigantic patch.

I really want to play this eventually.

But for now, playing MotB along with Borderlands. I'm disappointed Act I ended rather quickly, certainly much, much shorter than I expected, which is a shame. o:)

Having a bit of trouble staying focused on any one game at the moment... playing Painkiller Resurrection and a few point and click adventures. Bought a handful of indie games on a sale: Geneforge 5, Avernum V, World of Goo, Machinarium and The Path. The last one (The Path) looks particularly interesting. Might give them a try over the next few weeks.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Picked up Risen today. It is actually really great so far, beautiful game, easy to play, fun to explore. It also runs perfect on my machine, but I did install a gigantic patch.

The first few chapters of Risen where the focus is very much on the exploration and open quests is simply put some of the best RPG stuff I have ever played. The world is nice to explore, the combat can be really unforgiving to the player and the quests and choices are very well-done. It's an absolute joy.

Sadly the game becomes more of a dungeon crawl later on but I still had immense fun with it.

But for now, playing MotB along with Borderlands. I'm disappointed Act I ended rather quickly, certainly much, much shorter than I expected, which is a shame

I think Act 1 is easily the shortest one with Act 2 being the longest one, at least if you take your time to explore all the areas.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0