Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

The Karate Kid..

Entertaining in it's way. On it's own it's a decent film of the type. Jackie Chan is more..hm, avuncular and outright comforting then Mr Miyagi ever was.. I think I missed the slightly snarky Miyagi attitude.

That and that for a film titled "The Karate Kid" there is no Karate whatsoever, it's all Kung Fu. I mean, it makes sense storywise, but eh, they might as well have given it a different name for the reboot since they went with mainland China and Kung Fu....

But if you enjoy the whole.. training montage sequence and classic sports style film of untrained underdog set against bad attitude "elites".. you'll probably like it.

Hm, and on the Leonard Nimoy thing.. I'd thought he'd just retired from doing anymore Star Trek, not a complete retire from everything...

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just finishing up season one of Fringe. I'm quite enjoying this show so far.

I loved season 2! They did have one horrible musical episode though. That wasn't bad enough, but the episode did absolutely nothing to advance the characters, plot or even produce some laughs as a comedy episode.

I really liked the episode where

they travel to the alternate universe. They could do the entire show (or a spinoff) in the alternate universe.

Bought some movies on a special sale, 3 for $20. Watched the first one, an animated Resident Evil movie. Not outstanding, but not horrible either. Watched the first 30 minutes of the next one, "Cloverfield", but gave up on it. A boring Godzilla rip off with none of the charm of the original. Uninteresting people, bad acting, way bad camera... Does it get any better? I think I'll just save an hour of my life there and be grateful that it only cost me $6.66 :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Watched the first 30 minutes of the next one, "Cloverfield", but gave up on it. A boring Godzilla rip off with none of the charm of the original. Uninteresting people, bad acting, way bad camera... Does it get any better? I think I'll just save an hour of my life there and be grateful that it only cost me $6.66 :lol:

I remember it did become a little more entertaining towards the end, w/a rather ambiguous ending (ie not Hollywood-happy), but whether that means it 'got any better' would be highly debatable. The beginning, when they were in the apartment etc., was truly awful. I didn't think Godzilla (the more recent remake anyway) was very good either, tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Resident Evil. A bit late I know, but it turned out to be quite enjoyable. Are the sequels better?

I'd say pretty much the reverse. The first one is the best one of the bunch, and I wish I could unsee the third one.

Been going through a movieless spell here. Since the GF decided to marry somebody else, I haven't been in a theatre and the updated 5-point surround setup has been driving me more towards gaming than movies. I got a bunch of blu-rays waiting, including Minority Report and Saving Private Ryan. Thinking of picking up Up in the Air, but apart from that, can't really think of anything interesting.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Resident Evil. A bit late I know, but it turned out to be quite enjoyable. Are the sequels better?

I thought the second one was pretty entertaining. It is a bit goofy, but the characters are good. The third one started off well but then turned lousy.

Although I will watch Milla Jovavich in anything, so none of them is unwatchable.

Although I will watch Milla Jovavich in anything, so none of them is unwatchable.

Because in nearly every film she's in, there is one scene where she isn't in anything? :lol:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watching Coraline again. Stop-motion animation is the only animation I don't actually do myself, so I should be biased against it, but I think this is probably one of the greatest animated films of all time. It's a shame people think Tim Burton did it, because Tim Burton doesn't come near being talented enough to do this.

Watched the first 30 minutes of the next one, "Cloverfield", but gave up on it. A boring Godzilla rip off with none of the charm of the original. Uninteresting people, bad acting, way bad camera... Does it get any better? I think I'll just save an hour of my life there and be grateful that it only cost me $6.66 :lol:

I remember it did become a little more entertaining towards the end, w/a rather ambiguous ending (ie not Hollywood-happy), but whether that means it 'got any better' would be highly debatable. The beginning, when they were in the apartment etc., was truly awful. I didn't think Godzilla (the more recent remake anyway) was very good either, tho.

Not very good, but I found it decent. At least it had Jean Reno and Humour in it. Big Monster thrashing City movies are a "hilarious" idea, so they just feel more natural in the company of humour rather than attempting to create drama. Anyway, what killed the movie from the outset for me was the bad camera. Handheld cameras never added anything to movies, they only detract. It had the feel of something made by people straight out of art school, who haven't found their own style yet, so decided to experiment a bit (and failed) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Re-watching Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray courtesy of a friend's PS3, he has a pretty cool home cinema set up.

Just as awesome as ever, I watch it bi-annually and my favourite episode seems to change every time! Currently it's Carentan.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Re-watching Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray courtesy of a friend's PS3, he has a pretty cool home cinema set up.

Just as awesome as ever, I watch it bi-annually and my favourite episode seems to change every time! Currently it's Carentan.

The whole series is awesome. I have the box set and I usually watch it around twice a year too.

I thought the second one was pretty entertaining. It is a bit goofy, but the characters are good. The third one started off well but then turned lousy.

The characters in RE 2 good? Wha?

I thought Sienna Guillory and Oded Fehr made a good Jill and Carlos, neither were really like their videogame counterparts but they fit the movie and were fun to watch. I think if RE3 had followed on directly from the ending of the second film it would have turned out a lot better, but oh well. The series is truly doomed now that Wesker is in it.

The characters in RE 2 good? Wha?

Dual uzi wielding, what's not to like.

By the way I always thought the movies could have been pretty decent without the superpower thing. I like the first one best. If you are just looking for Milla jumping around with swords in skimpy outfits they are equally good.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.