Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

I blame it on the creative teams rather than the concept.

Actually, the last AvP movie had the look and feel pretty well, I think, but completely failed because of the characters and the settings.

Well, that and the horrible abusing of pregnant women. What the **** where they thinking?

The A-Team.. was actually much more entertaining then I thought it would be. Some very nice moments, and a few in-jokes.

During one sequence where a film smuggled into a psychiatric ward as part of a ploy to break Murdock out..the "film" has the A-team music play, and the introductory credits in the background include "Reginald Barclay".. - Which for those less geeky, was the name of Dwight Schultz (the original Murdock) character in ST:NG...

Some very over the top moments, although the whole Tank parachute was a nice standout..

"What's he trying to do, shoot down the drone?" "No, he's trying to fly the tank..."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Men Who Stare at Goats

Clooney and McGreggor are great, but there wasn't much to the plot and not that many jokes. Fun movie, not all that great.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"Burma VJ"

I highly recommend this movie. The synopsis from their website:

Armed with small handy cams undercover Video Journalists in Burma keep up the flow of news from their closed country. Going beyond the occasional news clip from Burma, acclaimed director Anders

The A-Team.. was actually much more entertaining then I thought it would be. Some very nice moments, and a few in-jokes.

During one sequence where a film smuggled into a psychiatric ward as part of a ploy to break Murdock out..the "film" has the A-team music play, and the introductory credits in the background include "Reginald Barclay".. - Which for those less geeky, was the name of Dwight Schultz (the original Murdock) character in ST:NG...

Some very over the top moments, although the whole Tank parachute was a nice standout..

"What's he trying to do, shoot down the drone?" "No, he's trying to fly the tank..."

yeah I thought it was a blast.

Also after the Reg Barclay credit, the next one (cut off a bit) appears to be G. F. Starbuck. :shifty:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"Burma VJ"

I highly recommend this movie. The synopsis from their website:

Armed with small handy cams undercover Video Journalists in Burma keep up the flow of news from their closed country. Going beyond the occasional news clip from Burma, acclaimed director Anders

sonsofgygax.JPG

Shutter Island.

...I figured it out in the first 20 minutes, so no suspense for me there. Some nice visuals and acting I guess, but kinda boring. I still have a hard time with DiCaprio..he can be a great actor in some ways/certain roles, but for me he's not consistent...yet.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Shutter Island.

...I figured it out in the first 20 minutes, so no suspense for me there. Some nice visuals and acting I guess, but kinda boring. I still have a hard time with DiCaprio..he can be a great actor in some ways/certain roles, but for me he's not consistent...yet.

He's improving though. Liked the last scene even though the ending was obvious.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

44 Inch Chest

I love Ray Winstone, but this is a self-indulgent crock of ****e that feels like a stage play shoe-horned into a movie. The only redeeming feature is Ian 'Deadwood' McShane's part as an ageing gay gangster.

Don't waste your time, and why, Ray, why?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Shutter Island.

I do not think that the "twist" was really the major point of the movie. It was more character driven with a whole lot of nice allegories(The chief warden anyone?)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Pretty good movie and they seemed to stay faithful to the canon story.

no... NO... NNNNNOOOOOOO....

they got like EVERYONE wrong. Deadpool is not a combination of mutations, he's the merc with a mouth who got an extreme healing factor to deal with a cancer that'd kill him, but it also messed with his neurology to the point where he was basically insane. Sabertooth and Wolverine don't really have a filial connection between them, just a former working relationship that went bad because Sabertooth became feral.

1232614931153.jpg

deadpool_chimichanga.jpg

The guy's healing factor is stronger than Wolverines (and used for more comedy).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

they got like EVERYONE wrong. Deadpool is not a combination of mutations, he's the merc with a mouth who got an extreme healing factor to deal with a cancer that'd kill him, but it also messed with his neurology to the point where he was basically insane. Sabertooth and Wolverine don't really have a filial connection between them, just a former working relationship that went bad because Sabertooth became feral.

I was more referring to Wolverines backstory, but even that has some inconsistencies like the Weapon X program being in the US when, iirc, it was Canadian. I did like that they faithfully showed how he was created and some of the things that motivated him, like the "death" of his woman. I didnt know Sabertooth wasnt his brother, I thought that part was accurate.

I was more referring to Wolverines backstory, but even that has some inconsistencies like the Weapon X program being in the US when, iirc, it was Canadian. I did like that they faithfully showed how he was created and some of the things that motivated him, like the "death" of his woman. I didnt know Sabertooth wasnt his brother, I thought that part was accurate.

I don't think they really went into his backstory... at least until REALLY recently. That was one of the reasons Wolvie was so popular was that he didn't really have much of a backstory but you got constant hints over time that were so tasty. And yes, the WeaponX program is Canadian, although I think that Wolverine was also Codenamed WeaponX. The woman who's able to influence people was competely fictional IIRC, and the whole malarky about "rescuing" all the mutants from weapon X was specific to the movie. Basically he went rogue on the government and was only made human after spending a LONG time with the founders of alpha flight (a canadian superteam), he still dealt with rage issues well after that although I think most authors forget that when they're trying to make him badass as possible.

:lol:

I don't think they really went into his backstory... at least until REALLY recently. That was one of the reasons Wolvie was so popular was that he didn't really have much of a backstory but you got constant hints over time that were so tasty. And yes, the WeaponX program is Canadian, although I think that Wolverine was also Codenamed WeaponX. The woman who's able to influence people was competely fictional IIRC, and the whole malarky about "rescuing" all the mutants from weapon X was specific to the movie. Basically he went rogue on the government and was only made human after spending a LONG time with the founders of alpha flight (a canadian superteam), he still dealt with rage issues well after that although I think most authors forget that when they're trying to make him badass as possible.

I could never quite make up my mind if the whole sideline of Wolverine learning intense martial arts & samurai code was a nice touch in an attempt to control his inner "berserker" side... or just the 80's jump on all things "Ninja!!!" related.. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It's a great movie if you turn your brain off.

Essentially it's about Hugh Jackman, who is the world's most badass man and his brother, who is less badass and thus jealous. Hugh Jackman goes on a quest to become even more badass and prove his manliness by doing things like riding motorcyles or lighting a trail of fuel on fire with his claws to explode a crashed helicopter while his brother is desperately trying to be more badass than him. There was something about X-men and an origin story about some guy named Wolverine in there, but Hugh Jackman's manliness was just too distracting for me to care.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The guy's healing factor is stronger than Wolverines (and used for more comedy).

I was really disappointed with the movie depiction of Deadpool. They took the Merc with a Mouth and took away his mouth. >_

But the movie was fun to watch, I think. Stupid, but fun.

From what I heard, Ryan Renolds is a comic fan so he'd have a better insight on Deadpools character than most. He's also going to be the Green Lantern in the upcoming movie.

"Legion"

My husband thought it was better (that is, more entertaining) than Shutter Island. :ermm:

Myself...near the beginning I was thinking "all right this is going to be kinda like Demon Knight/Evil Dead or something, cool!"...but then it quickly dropped almost all Evil Dead/Demon Knight type humor & went for a super-serious atmosphere that kinda dragged it down....and even any unintentional humor was far & few between. That said...it's watchable. Had some promise, some good moments. Just not quite enough.

Speaking of Shutter Island:

He's improving though. Liked the last scene even though the ending was obvious.

Yea, the last scene was the most interesting for me, from a chr. motivation standpoint. :)

I do not think that the "twist" was really the major point of the movie. It was more character driven with a whole lot of nice allegories(The chief warden anyone?)

It might not be the point of the movie, but it certainly made watching the movie more of a chore since they kept using all the movie tricks to make it seem/stay mysterious. I might've liked it as a character study better if they had left the mystery/suspense part out.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts