Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

My wife has a learning disability, and reading subtitles fast is just extremely difficult for her. So there are legitimate reasons why some people avoid them.

In case I misspoke, I wasn't suggesting anything about people not wanting to watch a subtitled film, simply that those people exist and that I'd forgotten to mention the subs first time around.

Edited by Serrano

Splice runs in movie theatres now. Looks interesting. Recommendable?

Watched it over the weekend.

Its a bit difficult to categorize; its a science fiction film that's not terribly interested in the science its using, its a horror film not terribly interested in scaring us and its a drama not terribly interested in providing sympathetic characters or easily recognizable motives.

The film is essentially a riff on scientists playing god in a Frankenstein way (complete with names that reference the movies; the main scientists are named Clive and Elsa, apparently after Colin Clive and Elsa Lanchester from BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN). Very early on it establishes a good dramatic mood; there are a lot of really good ideas here and some really good performances (Brody, Polley and David Hewlett (Dr McKay on Stargate Atlantis), are all great; and I admire Delphine Chan

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

How awesome is Moon?

Pretty great.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I saw the Infernal Affairs trilogy over the weekend, they're some of the best crime thrillers I've seen in a long, long while. Very stylish, intelligently written and well acted.

Edit: They're also Chinese, I keep forgetting that some people can't stand subtitles.

If the film's good enough, you sort of don't notice them, just read them by default. Nikita is a good example.

All the same I thought it was best to mention it, for some subs are a dealbreaker and I didn't want to waste their time.

My wife has a learning disability, and reading subtitles fast is just extremely difficult for her. So there are legitimate reasons why some people avoid them.

I didn't suggest that there weren't.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I saw the Infernal Affairs trilogy over the weekend, they're some of the best crime thrillers I've seen in a long, long while. Very stylish, intelligently written and well acted.

Edit: They're also Chinese, I keep forgetting that some people can't stand subtitles.

If the film's good enough, you sort of don't notice them, just read them by default. Nikita is a good example.

All the same I thought it was best to mention it, for some subs are a dealbreaker and I didn't want to waste their time.

I didn't suggest that there weren't.

I wasn't accusing anyone, just offering an explanation.

This is the first time that i heard about that. But i come from a country where you learn to read subtitles from the moment you start to watch cartoons. Shouldn't it be possible to overcome something like that with some training?

How awesome is Moon?

Pretty awesome. I haven't heard of anyone not liking it yet.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This is the first time that i heard about that. But i come from a country where you learn to read subtitles from the moment you start to watch cartoons. Shouldn't it be possible to overcome something like that with some training?

She can get by if she really wants to watch a movie, but it is difficult depending on subtitle speed, amount of dialogue, and all that. It isn't enjoyable for her.

Learning disabilities are somewhat common. She struggled in school for a number of years, until she decided to get tested in college. After a fairly rigorous test, it was determined that she had some sort of delay, I can't recall what it is called exactly. Anyways, she was classified as having a disability and was given certain accommodations on tests for the rest of her time at college, and it made a huge difference. Now she has a Masters in Kinesiology and is doing quite well.

It wouldn't be such a big deal, but I absolutely hate dubbing. So we just avoid watching foreign films together.

@hurlshot - my husband's situation is similar, with mild dyslexia or something. I don't think he's ever had it diagnosed so it could be something else. Kind of runs in his family I think. *shrug* Regardless, for him it's mild & you'd likely never notice/realize day to day and it's never hampered him jobwise etc...but he's a very very slow reader and thus...subtitles are like torture, even when he can keep up with them. On the bright side, his slow reading seems to enable him to remember a lot more of what he reads than I do. heh

I'm not fond of subtitles because I feel like I have to watch the movie twice...once to read, and once to be able to sit back & relax/enjoy the visuals more. But I also don't like dubbing so I can live with it...but it better be a good movie. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Prince of Persia

Pretty bad, but mostly entertaining despite that. Highlight is the chemistry between the leads and the main character's acrobatics, low point is the editing (it feels like they cut out the shots that were instrumental in showing what's actually happening) and the laughable plot.

I thought PoP was fun in a broad action film way. And the two leads had good chemestry (and some good banter but I wanted more).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Dante's Inferno anime

It was quite good. The constantly changing drawing style (and character design) were detrimental to the quality after the halfway mark and the plot was mind numbing, but all in all well presented.

Been a while since I saw the LotR movies so I watched the Fellowship Sunday and the Two Towers today. Extended DVD editions of course.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I thought PoP was fun in a broad action film way. And the two leads had good chemestry (and some good banter but I wanted more).

This. I do think they needed to cut down the movie overall a bit. It felt like it dragged in the middle becuase they started just doing random stuff.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Watching Jurassic Park right now. This is a seriously underrated movie now. People only remember it as a blockbuster, but it had so much going for it. Blows recent blockbusters out of the water.

The first one was awesome and imo still stands up today. Of course, it can lose a lot if you don't have awesome speakers at home, tho.

The sequels were...uh...well, they were sequels. :sorcerer:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

How the hell did they manage to make two bad AvP movies anyway? It shouldn't have been difficult to make an Aliens movie and add Predators into the mix , I mean hell they must have had around a hundred passable novels and Dark Horse comics they could they have based the movies around.