Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Kick-Ass.

I thought that it was just supposed to be a movie about a estranged teenager with nothing to do other than trying to be a small time hero. Boy, was i surprised. Highly recommended.

Un Proph

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Wow, looks like Cap'n America just joined the Village People.

He looks like Cap, only without the queer wings on his head or the baffling scale mail.

What's the view on Watchmen? I might watch it later but would appreciate an opinion or two.

From what I've gathered, if you liked the book, you'll love the movie, if you've never read the book you have about a 50/50 chance of liking it.

The marketing was awful, it billed it as a superhero action flick, which it isn't. Its a drama about vigilantes. I loved it, and the director's cut is even better.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What's the view on Watchmen? I might watch it later but would appreciate an opinion or two.

One of the best comic book movies ever made, since it simply deconstructs the genre entirely. I liked it so much that i even changed my avatar to the Comedian.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

One of the best comic book movies ever made, since it simply deconstructs the genre entirely. I liked it so much that i even changed my avatar to the Comedian.

General consensus, on the other hand, seems to be that it was overlong, plodding, style-taking-too-much-attention affair and demonstrates exactly why things that work in a comic book don't necessarily translate well to film.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I thought it was pretty dull at points but had it's moments. I was never a big fan of the comic either, though. Deconstructing something is fine, but if you're doing it in story format make it a story which has a decent payoff.

I read Watchmen when it first came out, and although I enjoyed it, it was a long time ago. So my recollection was hazy.

Anyhow, the credits were awesome. But by the time we were learning about The Joker's past it seemed a bit po-faced and, yes, over-stylized. I fell asleep, having had a long day, and woke up long after it finished. I will get round to watching it and doing it justice another time, it looked very promising but perhaps too demanding for late on a Saturday night.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Splice runs in movie theatres now. Looks interesting. Recommendable?

I just had to look it up at imdb. Sounds like a good summer-fun movie.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I wanted to input that I'd never even heard of the comic but I enjoyed the film, as a film, quite a lot. Was it perfect? No. Was it all action all the time? No. Was it occasionally a bit plodding or over the top? Sure. Did it have one of the best film actor-characterizations in Jackie Earle Haley/Rorschach? Oh yes.

--I saw "Seven Pounds" the other day because it was on free Encore. I'd never seen it but did recall the ads, which made it look like some kind of inspirational drama. I was in a cranky mood & could've used some inspiration so I tried it. Two hours later, I was depressed as hell. Good lord, what a desolate, sad movie. imo. I know it's supposed to have some altruistic hope out of the dark theme or whatnot, but inspirational or feel-good it is definitely not. Blargh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I really liked Watchmen. If you've seen it, Kickass was infinitely better IMO so you can either a) use that as a guideline or b) completely disregard my opinion.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I saw the Infernal Affairs trilogy over the weekend, they're some of the best crime thrillers I've seen in a long, long while. Very stylish, intelligently written and well acted.

Edit: They're also Chinese, I keep forgetting that some people can't stand subtitles.

Edited by Serrano

12 Angry Men. Both the 1957 and 1997 versions. It's pretty much word for word.

Although I liked Henry Fonda in the 1957 version there was too much yelling and shouting for my taste. Had to keep turning the volume up and down all the time. I slightly prefer the 1997 version as (even though the characters do get angry and shout) it's not as bad in 'volume' as the earlier version. At least you can hear what the actors are saying instead of them yelling all the time. Also interesting to see so many old actors as well as young actors in the 1997 version. Actors like Willliam Peterson looked so young than when he did CSI. I guess 10 years can really age you in the movie/tv business.

I saw the Infernal Affairs trilogy over the weekend, they're some of the best crime thrillers I've seen in a long, long while. Very stylish, intelligently written and well acted.

Edit: They're also Chinese, I keep forgetting that some people can't stand subtitles.

If the film's good enough, you sort of don't notice them, just read them by default. Nikita is a good example.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I saw a fun film called Time Crimes the other week. Think it's Spanish but it was subtitled. Light entertainment.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Splice warning

explicit sexual content, and yes its with who you think

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If the film's good enough, you sort of don't notice them, just read them by default. Nikita is a good example.

All the same I thought it was best to mention it, for some subs are a dealbreaker and I didn't want to waste their time.

All the same I thought it was best to mention it, for some subs are a dealbreaker and I didn't want to waste their time.

My wife has a learning disability, and reading subtitles fast is just extremely difficult for her. So there are legitimate reasons why some people avoid them.