Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

"Legion"

My husband thought it was better (that is, more entertaining) than Shutter Island. :woot:

Lady Crimson, i'm sorry to inform you that you husband has bad taste

tumblr_kx78i3gMq21qzil83o1_400.jpg

Speaking of Shutter Island:
He's improving though. Liked the last scene even though the ending was obvious.

Yea, the last scene was the most interesting for me, from a chr. motivation standpoint. :)

Yeah, that was really the original turnabout and not the big reveal.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I saw Daybreakers last night.

It was a pretty standard issue vampire sci-fi horror, but with an amusing twist as we saw the ins-and-outs of the vampires as a society in 2019. Liberal vampires argue for human rights on the TV news. All the vampires smoke, heavily, because vampires are immortal. Vampires have cool cars with special daytime-driving technology. Vampires have blood in their coffee the same way we have sugar. And, for some reason, vampires all dress like they live in the 1950's. Don't get me wrong, there are logic voids throughout, but this isn't really the point.

Anyway, despite their general bad-assery, vampires are unable to stop packs of resistance fighter humans cutting about in the daytime (led by ex-vampire Willem Dafoe) which is a problem because the world's human blood supply is dwindling, turning the vamps into weird mutant creatures who prey on each other. Ethan 'reluctant vampire' Hawke wants to find a cure for vampirism, but has a problem with his brother, a member of the Vampire Army (it's a bit like the normal army, but with fangs and the requirement for special daytime-fighting protective kit).

Anyhoo, that's the basics, there is a pretty clever twist in the tail and it has reasonable production values. I give it a Saturday night-with-a-pizza 7/10.

By the way, argunig about comic book canon? Puh-leez, it's a movie. All of us who like literature of any sort have accepted that movie adaptations can and will take liberties with the source material. Sometimes for better, usually for worse but it's like making a big deal about microwave meals tasting less authentic than one you just made yourself from fresh ingredients.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I just watched Daybreakers as well and agree with Monte's review. I really liked that vamps who starve or eat other vamps turn into these feral bat nosferatu looking things. My wife called it a B-movie with good production values. I don't disagree with that either.

Book of Eli. I found it interesting, tho as often happens, it fell apart in the end somewhat.

I also completely missed the chr. "twist" with all the tiny clues. Guess I was snoozin'. :lol: So watched it twice to think those over. I'm still debating whether I believe it. Which makes the movie memorable.

And I liked Daybreakers overall, too. Good/fun concept.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Karate Kid. It stands up to the original pretty well all things considered. I do think that the mom needed to be sidelined more (woman got on my nerves EVERY TIME she was on screen because she seemed both to care to much, and to little for her son). The kids are younger and Jaden Smith certainly channels dear old dad quite a bit.

Some things however are over the top, mostly in the tournament at the end where it seems like they WANTED to turn it into a video game with the screen big screen somehow getting every hit from a perfect angle. They also showed a bit more training than just "Wax on Wax off" and "paint the fence".

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Even as a straight-to-DVD...Why oh why.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/07/titani...is-coming-soon/

Oh dear god... The original wasn't even good...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Lets see:

SPEED RACER - this is such a fun film; I still think its a shame it didn't find a wider audience.

MONSTERS VS ALIENS - what can I say, I'm a sucker for 50s themed monsters...and fighting aliens! Also BOB is hilarious.

THE DARK KNIGHT - Its still a bit longish feeling, and I think the end isn't as clear as it could have been, but its a great Batman-via-crime-drama film.

AVATAR - still think its a little preachy in its pro-environment, human consumption = evil, and its not terribly original, yet it manages to compost all of its elements into an entertaining whole.

BOTTLE ROCKET - didn't get into it, thought it wasn't terribly funny and the finale - "a heist" is weak.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"The Road."

...now there's a serious 'post-apocalypse' movie. Slowish, but appropriately so. Gloomy & desolate. No zombies or outlandish over-the-top horror beyond the horror, paranoia & desperation brought about by the situation itself. Viggo Mortensen and the child actor are both great.

I am left to wonder, however, what the significance of the

missing thumbs of the thief and family at the end of film was supposed to be.

It's a minor thing, but why show it if it doesn't mean something? heh

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Heh, just caught the last half of "Twister" on tv. Entertaining in it's way. Although damn, it makes me feel old when I look at when it was made.

- cow flies through the air on tornado winds - "Look out, cow!"

- a minute later, cow flies in from a different direction - "Another cow!" "No.. I think it's still the same one.."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Weather was crap early this week, so watched several movies on my days off.

Shutter Island, which I thought was an excellent film.

3:10 To Yuma

Young Guns

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

Fargo

O Brother Where Art Thou

Dune, extended edition.

Shutter Island is the only film I hadn't seen before, but I liked them all.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Dune, extended edition.

"We will kill until no Harkonnen breathes Arrakeen air"... Smashing.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Dune, extended edition.

"We will kill until no Harkonnen breathes Arrakeen air"... Smashing.

The Sci-fi miniseries version they did some years back was rather good as well...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I just hope there isn't a ton of William Bell in season two. I've never been fond of the actor that plays him, even more so now that he's ancient.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I just hope there isn't a ton of William Bell in season two. I've never been fond of the actor that plays him, even more so now that he's ancient.

Nimoy only did the episodes he was contracted for; I think he's in two episodes in season two and, having retired from acting, probably won't be in the show ever again.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man