Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

I objected to the notion that the Romulans would

put their ship-jamming devices on their drilling beam chain. Not to mention, why there was yet again no other defensive ships around Earth who could fly around and shoot it down, if it was that easy for men w/lasers to blow it up. Oh yeah, and why would you need to drill a hole to the center of the Earth anyway, when you could just drop 1 drop of red matter into the ocean or a volcano? And isn't there now a huge black hole right next to Earth's atmosphere that we're supposed to pretend doesn't affect Earth? And on and on...

You don't really have to answer...it's just fantasy, I know. But c'mon...it's distracting. :sweat:

I dunno, I guessed - but all speculation of course - that

the ship-jamming device on the drilling beam was part of how they might mine planets that had indigenous populations and thus was on the beam. With communications disrupted, I imagine it might have been difficult to mount a defense and Earth had just lost a large section of Starfleet so certainly didn't have a lot of starships around. Also possible that there were planet-to-ship defenses we didn't see because they weren't important to the story.

It seems like the black holes might have a short lifespan (which makes sense, after all Romulus wouldn't be happy if Spock substituted a Black Hole that sucked in the planet rather than having them burn to death in the sun) and its possible that it needed to go into the center of the planet to ensure that the entire planet was destroyed before the red matter exhausted and the black hole ended. Also Spock's ship and the Romulan vessel went to warp speed, IIRC, meaning that when the final fight happened, it wasn't near Earth (but possibly still "close" to our solar system).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I saw Star Trek a second time and I amend my statement a bit

they seem to imply the machine that's doing the drilling is itself jaming signals, as opposed to something extra on it

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I saw Star Trek a second time and I amend my statement a bit

they seem to imply the machine that's doing the drilling is itself jaming signals, as opposed to something extra on it

They do, but they don't really understand much about it either.. the technology is at least 50-70 years ahead of them. What I mean is, I think we are free to interpret as we see fit.

Fortune favors the bald.

I just got back from "seeing" Star Trek. The idiot who put all that lens flare needs to be shot. I'm not entirely sure what to think about it. Something about the way Kirk acted just ticked me off, but I loved Scotty and McCoy.

Watched American Gangster and thought it was tremendous. Kinda cool to see how Ridley Scott has changed as a director, never could really imagine him doing a gangster picture after seeing films like the Duellists, Blade Runner or Alien way back, and was rather skeptical about this one. But American Gangster is really good, his best film in what seems like forever.

Both Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe (normally not a huge fan of him) were great.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Watched W which I bought on DVD. Decent movie, portrayed Bush pretty accurately as the bumbling fool that he was, who surrounded himself with corrupted people.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I objected to the notion that the Romulans would

put their ship-jamming devices on their drilling beam chain. Not to mention, why there was yet again no other defensive ships around Earth who could fly around and shoot it down, if it was that easy for men w/lasers to blow it up. Oh yeah, and why would you need to drill a hole to the center of the Earth anyway, when you could just drop 1 drop of red matter into the ocean or a volcano? And isn't there now a huge black hole right next to Earth's atmosphere that we're supposed to pretend doesn't affect Earth? And on and on...

You don't really have to answer...it's just fantasy, I know. But c'mon...it's distracting. :lol:

well...

I think that the mining beam actually gave off an energy field that would be harmless down the line, but was currently a wide scale blocker of signals. As to the whole fleet thing, all the spare vessels that the Fed's had were sent to Vulcan and killed.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

An excellent but underrated movie, The Duelists.

Definetely. It's funny, before I saw it I always thought it would be a kind of very low-budget, experimental film since noone seems to know of it. But it's pretty damn grand in its vision, pretty easy to follow and of coruse (as with all of Scotts films) incredibly beautiful to look at. Strange that it isn't talked about more, though I believe it did win some prize at Cannes.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I just got back from "seeing" Star Trek. The idiot who put all that lens flare needs to be shot. I'm not entirely sure what to think about it. Something about the way Kirk acted just ticked me off, but I loved Scotty and McCoy.

I haven't seen Star Trek, but I have been watching The Original Series reruns on the Dutch Sci-Fi channel lately, and the way Kirk acts in there ticks me off too, so I assume that's normal.

Re: Star Trek plot holes - nitpicking possible reasons for seeming lapses in logic afterwards is fun (I loved doing that with the OS)...but there's a point where too much constant disruption of 'belief' while actually watching=fail story-wise for me. Means it wasn't engaging enough for me to get lost in the moment. :lol: And still doesn't solve the tired sci-fi plot/mechanisms.

In terms of the end,

I could swear a blueish planet was behind the bad guy's ship at the climax...didn't remember a warp chase.

But only saw it once so not surprised if I spaced out on that.

For more silly in-the-name-of-fun nitpicking, what I meant, in the beginning of the movie, was where they said

all experienced ships were elsewhere so they had to send Enterprise to investigate Vulcan distress call, or something. They use that in all the ST movies to get the Enterprise in the thick of things.

At any rate, I did like the new Trek. Just not orgasmic about it. Heheh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Watched W which I bought on DVD. Decent movie, portrayed Bush pretty accurately as the bumbling fool that he was, who surrounded himself with corrupted people.

ah, yes, given that you obviously have such intimate knowledge of the man. what's more idiotic, your statement, or his behavior, i wonder?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I haven't seen W, but I'll agree any time just on general principle that Bush is a fool.

Now I did see the one where Oliver Stone follows Fidel Castro around and interviews him, I can't even remember the name. Anyway after several days of dragging Stone around the country on the grand PR tour Castro eventually lets down his guard and talks about Batista, the CIA and the Bay of Pigs, and the Cuban missile crisis. I was surprised at how much anger he had for the Russians.

Of course Stone wanted to know who shot Kennedy, as if Castro automatically must have the answer, and tried, and failed, to make that a pivotal moment.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Re: Star Trek plot holes - nitpicking possible reasons for seeming lapses in logic afterwards is fun (I loved doing that with the OS)...but there's a point where too much constant disruption of 'belief' while actually watching=fail story-wise for me. Means it wasn't engaging enough for me to get lost in the moment. 8) And still doesn't solve the tired sci-fi plot/mechanisms.

In terms of the end,

I could swear a blueish planet was behind the bad guy's ship at the climax...didn't remember a warp chase.

But only saw it once so not surprised if I spaced out on that.

Since I watched the film a second time

Spock definately warps away when the Romulans attack him (presumably to move the fight away from Earth); the Romulans chase him attacks him again, and then the Enterprise warps in and shoots the torpedoes sent at Spock's ship allowing him to set the ship to ramming speed before Scotty beams everyone out.

For more silly in-the-name-of-fun nitpicking, what I meant, in the beginning of the movie, was where they said

all experienced ships were elsewhere so they had to send Enterprise to investigate Vulcan distress call, or something. They use that in all the ST movies to get the Enterprise in the thick of things.

At any rate, I did like the new Trek. Just not orgasmic about it. Heheh.

Yeah but you kind of expect that for the movie to involve The Enterprise in the action. :x

I did spot a continuity error when I watched it the second time, I noticed that

the gun Kirk uses to shoot the Romulan on the platform can be seen lying on the ground as he jumps to the platform.

:lol:

Edited by Amentep

I haven't seen W, but I'll agree any time just on general principle that Bush is a fool.

Now I did see the one where Oliver Stone follows Fidel Castro around and interviews him, I can't even remember the name. Anyway after several days of dragging Stone around the country on the grand PR tour Castro eventually lets down his guard and talks about Batista, the CIA and the Bay of Pigs, and the Cuban missile crisis. I was surprised at how much anger he had for the Russians.

Of course Stone wanted to know who shot Kennedy, as if Castro automatically must have the answer, and tried, and failed, to make that a pivotal moment.

That's really why Stone has zero credibility with me. I've read a few books on the Kennedy assassination and there is simply no evidence to support any conspiracy theories. Kennedy was killed by a disgruntled Lee Harvey Oswald.

Bush is no fool either. I don't think he will be remembered as a good president, and he's not a scholar, but you don't get elected twice by being a fool. He's a crafty politician. We've had worse, just not in the last 100 years.

you've proved pretty much that you are a fool, too.. oh well.

guess that's just one more idiotic statement coming from the ideologues. go figure.

taks

We've had worse, just not in the last 100 years.

ahem, apparently you forgot about carter. he couldn't even manage to get elected twice, let alone do a good job.

this is what is soooo sad. you people think that you see a movie (not you, hurlshot), a movie made with barely any first-hand knowledge and somehow you know the truth? krezack compares the US healthcare system to cubas (oh god, how funny), obviously based on sicko, a movie made by one of the most biased "documentarians" that has ever lived. must be true, michael moore said so! every single stone movie - ever - is conceived from an obvious hatred of all things that may even fall under the republican banner, and you dolts aren't capable of seeing through the bias? what is the state of the intellectual capability of the world if people watch a movie and think they've found the truth simply because it favors some ideological belief they favor thesmselves?

give me a break. demonstrate that the lump on your heads contains something more than an empty cavern. sheesh. there's idiocy in the world, indeed, and all i need to do is open up this forum to find it.

taks

give me a break. demonstrate that the lump on your heads contains something more than an empty cavern. sheesh. there's idiocy in the world, indeed, and all i need to do is open up this forum to find it.

You mean... there are no hidden messages in the Da Vinci Code?!? :o

Dusted off my DVD colection and saw Acoplypto and The Fifth Element.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You will notice, or perhaps not, that I use 'fool' more as an expletive than an accurate description of Bush's intelligence.

His 'speech impediment' and general air certainly aren't evidence of anything in themselves, although the fact that he has used his dad's name and political machinery extensively perhaps suggests that he got to the final lap in the presidential race rather more easily than well, others.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Enough about how much of a fool Bush is, leave that to a separate thread.

We went to see the new Star Trek this weekend, the girlfriend and I, and she was one of two females in the audience. The movie was ok, not bad, but nothing spectacular either. The characters were clearly the strongest asset.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Fifth Element.

not sure why, but i've seen that movie like 10 times now. i love it, for whatever reason.

taks

Maybe because it's awesome? No wait, it's...greeeeeeeeeen!

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

A few dollars more.

The spaghetti westerns with Eastwood, Van Cleef, and ensemble rocks the pants off anything else, even Jhon Ford. Morricone as usual takes it up the final notch.

My all time favorites are probably Once upon a time, A Fistful of Dynamite, and the Good the Bad and the Ugly

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.