Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - Good fantasy film, I enjoyed it.

City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold (1994) - Perfect example of why good/great films should not get a sequel :(

Last thing I'll say about remakes; Besides leaving classics alone.

How about remakes of films that had potential in the first place but for whatever reason failed in the final release, you know actually improving the final product. Now that's something I would pay money for and there is no shortage of movies that Hollywood got wrong the first time!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/gijoenew...&offset=125

Clip from the new GI Joe movie. I hope Lorenzo di Boneventura gets cancer. Stephen Sommers I just hope never works in Hollywood again.

American Baroness? Storm Shadow with a gun and a suit? Snake Eyes with a big rubber mouth? WTF?

I just sat there with a disgusted look on my face as soon as she said "Nice shoes"

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Clip from the new GI Joe movie. I hope Lorenzo di Boneventura gets cancer. Stephen Sommers I just hope never works in Hollywood again.

American Baroness? Storm Shadow with a gun and a suit? Snake Eyes with a big rubber mouth? WTF?

I just sat there with a disgusted look on my face as soon as she said "Nice shoes"

Hmm...I think if you don't look at it as an actual GI Joe movie, it might be decent. Like, ignore the comics or any source material, and just think that they looked at some plastic toys and roughly based a movie on them.

Kind of like Transformers, I know a lot of folks who were ultra fans disliked it, but I thought it was a fun action movie.

Hmm...I think if you don't look at it as an actual GI Joe movie, it might be decent. Like, ignore the comics or any source material, and just think that they looked at some plastic toys and roughly based a movie on them.

Kind of like Transformers, I know a lot of folks who were ultra fans disliked it, but I thought it was a fun action movie.

I've never really understood the argument of disregarding the source material when evaluating a movie.

If the director/producer/screenwriter has choosen to use previously existing a source material, then that source material is part and parcel of the criticism.

If the film wishes not to be criticized at least partially based on source material, then it should do something original instead.

I'm not saying that a film should/should not be a slave to source material, only that it seems completely fair to use the source material as part of ones criticisms, either positive or negative toward a film.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If the source material is super mainstream, then I can see an expectation of following the source material heavily. The Harry Potter franchise is a good example of this, straying from the formula would have been a terrible decision.

But the GI Joe fan club is probably not big enough to warrant a blockbuster summer action movie, so the director has to figure out how to appeal to a much wider audience. If that means swaying far away from the source material, I'm not going to blame him. At the end of the day, I just want an entertaining flick.

When the source material is as weak as GI Joe, maybe it's for the best.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing..

But then it's gonna be twice as bad if the movie fails..

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah, I don't get why so many people are so pissed over a Hollywood movie not being faithful to a bunch of crappy plastic toys. If it moves it's an improvement.

That doesn't mean it won't suck like Transformers did.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Yeah, I don't get why so many people are so pissed over a Hollywood movie not being faithful to a bunch of crappy plastic toys. If it moves it's an improvement.

I really hate it when uninformed people talk like they know things.

GI Joe had a comic line under Marvel that ran 155 issues. It had a Devil's Due run that ran 80 issues. It had numerous limited series and one shots. The average comic storyline runs 6 issues, averaging to over 40 storylines. Plus 3 cartoon series and a TV movie. There is a plethora of source material that isn't just the packaging for the toys.

The situation is similar for Transformers. The toys were actually the worst part of the brand.

Devastatorsig.jpg

GI Joe had a comic line under Marvel that ran 155 issues. It had a Devil's Due run that ran 80 issues. It had numerous limited series and one shots. The average comic storyline runs 6 issues, averaging to over 40 storylines. Plus 3 cartoon series and a TV movie. There is a plethora of source material that isn't just the packaging for the toys.

The situation is similar for Transformers. The toys were actually the worst part of the brand.

The comics and the cartoons were created to support the toys' sale. It's the main reason why they were horrible. Made on the cheap to appeal to less than discerning kids.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Thanks for starting out with an insult, first of all.

I don't need a lecture on how much G.I. Joe exists. What, do you think I've been living under a rock? But you know what? That Marvel comic? It's an adaptation. That cartoon series? Adapation. TV movie? Adaptation.

Source material: Crappy plastic toys. I can't stand that David Willis "toys are serious business" bull****.

Edited by TrueNeutral

[coup de grace] Action Force was better than GI Joe and always will be [/coup de grace]

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

[coup de grace] Action Force was better than GI Joe and always will be [/coup de grace]

My mother has a boat full of action force figures protecting the glasses in the kitchen, some family had to stay a couple of nights or something, I can't say I have an easy time believing that they would be better than something.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Comic books are for children.

No.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Thanks for starting out with an insult, first of all.

Sorry, just been on a few boards the last few days and with various clips and stuff coming out there was just so many people who rip into these brands like they are **** because they started with a toy. Yes it started with the toy, but without the comics and cartoons there wouldn't be any interest in adapting them into movies in the first place.

Devastatorsig.jpg

True. That wasn't my point anyway. You were complaining about changes, but with brands like these there's so much conflicting source material that the only thing you can make a convincing canon with is the toys. So I don't get that, it's changed from a toy. Is this a big deal? Toys aren't very deep. I don't really give the rest of it any ****. I'd be a hypocrite is I did, considering I love me some Beast Wars.

I'm still sad that proposed Jurassic Park cartoon about hybrid dinosaurs based on the Jurassic Park: Chaos Effect line fell through. That was going to be awesomebad. :D

Comic books are for children.

preacher11.jpg

I cordially invite you to stick it up your flue, and smoke it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

True. That wasn't my point anyway. You were complaining about changes, but with brands like these there's so much conflicting source material that the only thing you can make a convincing canon with is the toys. So I don't get that, it's changed from a toy. Is this a big deal? Toys aren't very deep. I don't really give the rest of it any ****. I'd be a hypocrite is I did, considering I love me some Beast Wars.

I'm still sad that proposed Jurassic Park cartoon about hybrid dinosaurs based on the Jurassic Park: Chaos Effect line fell through. That was going to be awesomebad. :D

I can on some level accept that they're going with Jason X as the design for Cobra Commander, as there have been several Cobra Commander designs, but Baroness has always been eastern european noblety. Making her an American and the sister of Cobra Commander is just dumb. And making Destro the leader of Cobra and CC wrests control from him is dumb as well. Destro has always been the head of MARS and was a weapons dealer and supporter of Cobra, he was never its leader, even though a lot of people wished he was.

Devastatorsig.jpg