Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

So they are remaking Conan now.

Not only that, the new Conan is being played by an Austrian bodybuilder who onece played Arnold in a biopic. And looks just like Arnold!

So the new Conan is being played by a guy who looks so much like Arnold that he once played Arnold so now he is playing Arnold playng Conan in a remake of Arnold playing Conan who looked just like the new Conan!

hahahaha.

Hollywood is insane.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

IMO, the important question about a film is "Is it a good film?" not "does it stay true to the source material". Because at the end of the day its more important for the film to work on its own terms.

Sure. But if a moviegoer thinks the film is crap because it strayed from the source material and the moviegoer happened to really love that source material, then they have every right to criticize the film for straying from the source material.

I'm not saying that movies should or should not stray from the source material. That's the director/producer/writer's call to make. I'm just saying that critizing them for doing so is perfectly valid if one feels they made a bad film by doing so.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Transporter 3 - I'm a fan of Jason Statham and the previous two Transporter movies, and I thought 3 was decent. The romance was crap, but the action was great. I'd say this was the worst of the three, but not by a ton. It just had a very obnoxious love interest, really.

Not only that, the new Conan is being played by an Austrian bodybuilder who onece played Arnold in a biopic. And looks just like Arnold!

So the new Conan is being played by a guy who looks so much like Arnold that he once played Arnold so now he is playing Arnold playng Conan in a remake of Arnold playing Conan who looked just like the new Conan!

hahahaha.

Hollywood is insane.

The first comment in that story links to another story claiming this isn't true.

I saw The Proposal as a date movie. I actually enjoyed it far more than I think I was supposed to. Ah, what the hell. Who cares, I'm man enough to admit I love me some silly RomCom.

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

good - and also nice to see jim carrey doing something other than being absurdly silly

I love Jim Carrey being silly though. He's one of my favourite actors in both modes.

Actually, with Jim Carrey being one of my favourite actors, Zooey Deschanel being my favourite actress, Eels being my favourite band (they did the soundtrack) and my appreciation of the basic RomCom, it's no wonder Yes Man was my favourite movie of last year.

hahahaha.

Hollywood is insane.

The first comment in that story links to another story claiming this isn't true.

Let's hope not.

Be Kind Rewind

A sweet little film for movie lovers, even if it hams things up a bit towards the end.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I saw The Proposal as a date movie. I actually enjoyed it far more than I think I was supposed to. Ah, what the hell. Who cares, I'm man enough to admit I love me some silly RomCom.

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

good - and also nice to see jim carrey doing something other than being absurdly silly

I love Jim Carrey being silly though. He's one of my favourite actors in both modes.

Actually, with Jim Carrey being one of my favourite actors, Zooey Deschanel being my favourite actress, Eels being my favourite band (they did the soundtrack) and my appreciation of the basic RomCom, it's no wonder Yes Man was my favourite movie of last year.

oh don't get me wrong - i like jim carrey's silly roles too

Me Myself and Irene is awesome :grin:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

up, just got back from it.

quite a good movie. very sad at parts, but overall a heartwarming and fun movie. not at all what i expected. the short film intro was hysterical.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Night at The Museum - Not too bad, even if it was a bit of a waste of a good idea.

Get Smart - A few good jokes here and there, but it completely failed to adapt the TV show to the big screen.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"Knowing"

If you simply judge from the movie's merit by itself, it was pretty bland. A typical suspense-mystery movie with a high budget and little imagination. If you judge by its message, then it is in the same category with atrocities such as "Twilight".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Valkyrie - Gets a B-, despite Cruise being in the movie (and being a bit slow). Some good chr. roles for some other good actors.

Starship Troopers - Each time I watch this movie, the more I like it and appreciate the over the top propaganda satire, which always slays me.

Edit: oh yeah, also saw 'Defiance' w/Daniel Craig & Liev Schreiber. WWII refugees-in-hiding drama. Liev is outstanding, Craig good. Thumbs up/A-.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well me neither, although I can think of a handful of pretty horrible Tom Cruise movies off the top of my head, but everybody makes a stinker once in a while, unavoidable that.

I wish I had some of that Tom Cruise/Jhon travolta lunatic energy. It gets things done like nobody's business. Minus worshiping the ravings of a dead Sci Fi writer.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I don't think I can name a film where Tom Cruise was a negative to the equation. He's a fantastic actor. I don't let his loony cult stuff interfere with my ability to enjoy a good movie.

I consider Cruise to be extremely over-rated as far as acting goes. He's passable, but usually he's surrounded by actual stellar actors/chr. actors who are far better than he is that somehow manage to hide his flaws. When he makes a movie where that isn't the case, more often than not, it sucks.

The one role where I actually did like him as a chr. was where he played the assassin guy.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/

I just went through the list, amazing that he's only done 34 films or so. And really, there isn't a stinker in the bunch. So maybe he's over-rated or rides other people's coat tails, but he sure knows how to pick a screenplay.

Born on the 4th of July is a pretty solid one where he had no supporting cast that I can remember.

I didn't say he stunk...just he's over-rated. imo he plays essentially the same role in the same way almost every time. He doesn't, for me, add anything to the movie by being the actor chosen. He's vanilla.

And no, it's not just luck...I consider him to be a very smart business man as far as his career is concerned...I'd say the same for Arnold Governator.

In terms of movies that I think are terrible or at least not very good:

Vanilla Sky

****tail

Legend

War of the Worlds (nice eye candy but that's it)

Far and Away

Top Gun

Days of Thunder

Mediocre to kinda decent:

Eyes Wide Shut

Risky Business

Jerry Maguire (zzzzzz)

Mission Impossible's (1st one was the best one)

Few Good Men

Color of Money (Newman was good, movie not so much)

Born on 4th of July (to me a case of over-acting)

Decent to Good:

Minority Report

Rainman

The Firm

The Last Samurai

Collateral

I know it's all relative/opinion...and that's just mine. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson