New Dragon Age discussion thread

Monte Carlo

[quote name='H
Edited by Rhomal

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Are they in fact stated as 'unsupported' now? That's really interesting. NWN2 for instance is very good with alt-tabbing considering the state of its engine, and I alt-tab MTW2 as well, which seems to know what's going on.

I think the problem is when you Alt-Tab, the game saves the video ram in your regular ram. That can become a problem with large amount of video ram on new cards and most PC's limited to 2GB of regular RAM.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"Are they in fact stated as 'unsupported' now?"

Since when does something have to be stated as 'unsupported'? Its better to to know what it does support officially. Using something that isn't official should ALWAYS be 'use at your own risk' proposition.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So standard windows functions are now 'unsupported'? Nice, I want a job at Bios Q&A where if common windows uses frag the game up its simply labeled 'unsupported'. Good way to address poor coding.

For the record I used alt-tab on civ4, gal civ2, fo3, UT, AoC and nwn2 without issue.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Ha, first time I've ever been accused of being a Bio fanboy. I have no idea what the deal with ME is, but lots of games don't support alt-tabbing, and if the user keeps trying to do it and it doesn't work, then yes it's the users fault. And Volourn is right, alt-tabbing is a "use at your own risk" feature. If it works, great, if it doesn't, that sucks, but it's stupid to bitch about nasty developers not polishing their game.

Trying to use rational thought to combat emotional attachment is a failed task.

Indeed, it seems quite pointless explaining that alt-tabbing doesn't always work when people seem to have such an emotional attachment to the feature.

Also, offering a list of games that can use alt-tab is as worthless as offering a list of games than work on your system and then complaining when game x doesn't work. Like the folks on the Vampire board complaining that Bloodlines was so slow even though HL2 ran so fast on their systems.

"So standard windows functions are now 'unsupported'?"

For games, why not? As long as the game is play tested to *play* as well as posisble than something silly like alt'tab to quit is NOT needed. That's why games have an options screen so you can quit that way. You don't need the use of the alt-tab in order to quit to play games. It's OPTIONAL.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Alt-tab has slowly regressed from being self-evident for many developers, into a feature that is almost ignored. With multi-platform gaming, windows specific API-calls, that aren't considered vital, are less prioritized when you have to get the engine to work to begin with.

Anyhoo, i haven't tried ME for PC yet, since it has the whole SecureROM debacle. The Xbox360 will be enough for the time being.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

For games, why not? As long as the game is play tested to *play* as well as posisble than something silly like alt'tab to quit is NOT needed. That's why games have an options screen so you can quit that way. You don't need the use of the alt-tab in order to quit to play games. It's OPTIONAL.

lolwat

Anyhoo, i haven't tried ME for PC yet, since it has the whole SecureROM debacle. The Xbox360 will be enough for the time being.

Ouch, they better not do that with Dragon Age. That'll give me something to think about.

Ouch, they better not do that with Dragon Age. That'll give me something to think about.

Its being published by EA and EA uses SecuROM. Do the math.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

There are various levels of Securom, so, nya nya.

They will probably use the most recent iteration of EA SecuRom , which is something along the lines of 5 activations and activations being capable of deactivation. I seem to remember that was the RA3 iteration.

About the alt+tab discussion, I personally find it important that the developers at least try to get it working. Biggest technical problem of Fallout 3 at least.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

There is only one type of magic in Thedas (no divine spells) and the ability to wield magic is a natural ability that manifests in late childhood. Fighters and thieves cannot wield magic.

I may be wrong, but doesn't this seem confusing? Wielding magic is a *natural ability* that comes in late childhood... So why can't Fighters and Thieves use it? Do they lose the ability once they choose a profession or something? Or are people already born with classes?

Within Ferelden (which is not all of Thedas) the Circle of Magi takes children who show magical abilities from their parents and teaches them to use magic. Those who are unable to control their power or who show the wrong attitude toward magic are Tranquiled (magically lobotomized). There are nations other than Ferelden that may do something different. There are apostate mages (non-circle mages) and hedge mages (managed to hide from the circle) but DA only has one mage origin: Circle Mage.

The reason a thief PC couldn't be a mage is that the Circle of Magi doesn't teach thievery or how to wield weapons. Now, as a mage levels, they can pick up lockpicking (it

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

Normally, I refuse to throw out money for sucky games, not copy protections. Knowing that DA will be awesome, and knowing that my DVD-drive eats SecROM for breakfast, I'll happily spend the 50

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

[aside]Pidesco! Pidesco! Pidesco! [/aside]

Someone posted this in the BioWare forum earlier and I thought that it might be of interest. I asked the developers to confirm the information and Priestly said they weren

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Champion and Templar are 2 different Fighter advanced classes. What kind of debuffs Battlecries provide wasn't explained. Templar is supposed to be "more paladin-like", whatever that is supposed to mean.

Generally, there are 4 advanced classes for every base class. Rogue advanced classes are: Assassin, Duelist, Ranger and Bard (which is supposed to be party-support-oriented).

There are 8 skills. Stealing is one of them.

Every base class has 4 class-specific talent trees. Those of a fighter are weapon-and-shield, two-handed-weapon, dual-wielding and bow.

Classes, eh? Or, dare I say it, kits (cue sinister balalika music)...

You get to create your own ruleset for your own IP and you go and choose a class-based system?

How... retro.

I'm surprised alignments didn't make the cut.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG