New Dragon Age discussion thread

Monte Carlo

Have fun with gamepad+Isometric combat then.

I don't really see why there would be much of a difference between a keyboard and mouse and gamepad. The analogs would control character movement and camera, the 8 way direction would handing the quickslots, and the rest of the buttons would control the action and character switching. Add in my attached chatpad when I need to type things in and I don't see how my gamepad would be any less functional than a keyboard and mouse.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I am talking about PC games in general.

PC game devs and publishers appear to feel it is their god-given right to release buggy games and then ignore any gamer who purchases their product and has a problem.

It wouldn't bother me so much if there was an avenue for getting my money back if I buy a buggy game, but there isn't. Once you buy the game, you have no options except to hope that a patch is released and that the patch fixes your problems. If not, you're stuck with a broken game.

Best thing about console games is that a) you can often rent them first and b) you can sell your used ones back for at least something.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"NWN1 OC for the first month of release, is all, I think."

Nah.

KOTOR did have a major crashing bug though when you left the first planet.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'll probably wait for a 30$ version on the 360.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"NWN1 OC for the first month of release, is all, I think."

Nah.

KOTOR did have a major crashing bug though when you left the first planet.

Also, there were some serious memory leaks which caused a number of crashes. Playing with 512MB memory was a real hassle.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Hrm. I think I played KOTOR quite a bit after it came out, I guess. There was a massive furore with NWN1 OC though, which is to be expected with such a massive project. Personally, I was just sad at how crap it was, but there you go.

Point being that I think it's very probable Dragon Age will be relatively stable.

Had a bit of a sinking feeling looking at the official DA website. The Jedi Grey Wardens (etc) are just so... meh.

Then again, as per the earlier conversation, BG1 had the lamest plot and bad guys imaginable and was still a great game.

So I cheered up a bit. Then I read that gushing "I took the game home for Xmas" stuff from a Bio person.

And I had a sinking feeling again.

I know, waiting for DA is a real rollercoaster ride, the top-down Touchmaster labyrinth game on my DS Lite will have to do for now.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

We all know that Kill/Sand/Hades will upgrade his PC in a timely manner so that he can play DA on release. :)

It would cost me several hundreds of dollars I just do not have. Hey, if you want to give me $400 then I would have no problem upgrading my machine for DA.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Had a bit of a sinking feeling looking at the official DA website. The Jedi Grey Wardens (etc) are just so... meh.

Then again, as per the earlier conversation, BG1 had the lamest plot and bad guys imaginable and was still a great game.

So I cheered up a bit. Then I read that gushing "I took the game home for Xmas" stuff from a Bio person.

And I had a sinking feeling again.

I know, waiting for DA is a real rollercoaster ride, the top-down Touchmaster labyrinth game on my DS Lite will have to do for now.

Cheers

MC

Why is this? I read the infro from Christ Priestly, too. It made me go from cautious to sort of being optimistic about DA: Origins.

I also thought that Chris P.'s answers to the questions posted by the fans where OK and answered a lot of mine questions as well

as laid other questions to rest.

I'm still hooked on the origin stories, though. I still don't like the Spectr - eh- Grey Wardens fighting the 'ancient menace'.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

Simple logic when dealing witH DA. It's a BIO game. If you like BIO's games, you will like it. If you don't; you won't. It'll have strengths. It'll have weaknesses. Dopn't worry be happy.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Simple logic when dealing witH DA. It's a BIO game. If you like BIO's games, you will like it. If you don't; you won't. It'll have strengths. It'll have weaknesses. Dopn't worry be happy.

Truth.

And here's a new Dragon Age interview with some new footage! Click

Includes weird bearded dwarfes and seductive fiends! :ermm:

Oh god this game is so gonna rock!

Truth.

And here's a new Dragon Age interview with some new footage! Click

Includes weird bearded dwarfes and seductive fiends! :grin:

Oh god this game is so gonna rock!

Well the proof is in the pudding. And almost EVERY trailer, preview makes a game look great and thus create buzz. That's like.. its goal. *blink* Clearly you are easily persuaded by a marketing machine :ermm:

On a serious note, the trailer was interesting. But the anti-sandbox approach bothers me. I think many folks here are falling into the hype and when they actually play the game some will be posting things like 'WTF... it forces me down the main path and I can't do anything else like in BG!!!!!111'. Anyone want to take me up on that bet we won't see at least a few of those posts? *grin*

I do however give them kudos... the mature themes (assuming it does not get cut, nerfed last min) is refreshing from them. I felt the PCs looked... plastic however. Like animated barbie dolls. But OTOH the GUI looked decent enough. Very NWN2-ish in fact.

In the end however the video did pique the leo curiosity in me and while I won't say I now will buy it I will however put it on the 'possibility' list and wait a few weeks after release and see what kind of feedback posts it gets, Plus will give bio the time for the traditional 0 day patch.. and then the patch for that patch... heh

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

"Clearly you are easily persuaded by a marketing machine"

No, I'm clearly persuaded by the constant quality Bioware delivers. And knowing that this is the core team that worked on BG series and NWN, and knowing fantasy is what makes the Bioware pudding , I've reason to get excited like a little schoolgirl.

After all, there're not that many RPGs out there to look forward too, and no, old boring crap made from Russia/Germany doesn't count here either.

Edited by Morgoth

I'm betting that this will be KOTOR with a larger party. I know they are supposed to be going for a BG2 experience with Dragon Age, but seeing as this going to be on consoles, they are going to have to heavily change the combat to accommodate gamepad control. Regarding the NPC interaction, it will probably be more or less the same as every Bioware game after BG2.

Then again, it has breast fondling so: SOLD!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Grugh, Dan Tudge.

They keep showing combat in half-a-second-bursts for the most part, where it looks like it could be BG2, but it could also be KOTOR. The game-breaker is going to be the combat for me in Dragon Age, so I'm really anticipating some tactical depth and challenge, but who knows yet.

Some lovely blood on those people, eh.