Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

The Forbidden Kingdom - 2.5 stars out of 5

Watchable youth kungfu fantasy, but not what I was expecting at all. Action scenes fun, but the plot was like a cross between The Last StarFighter and Karate Kid.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Don't forget to add some Neverending Story to that mix. I loved Forbidden Kingdom though. It entertained me so much.

I watched Mr. Woodc0ck. That was not so entertaining. Gillespie must have gotten lucky on Lars and The Real Girl, because this is not nearly as inspired. 2/10, but only because I enjoy seeing Seann William Scott get psychologically tortured.

All right, people. Speed Racer has been out a whole 5 days on video and I have yet to see a review of it from you guys!

Get with it!!

I hear the blu-ray is gorgeous... *sigh* I wanna blu-ray...

:lol::ninja:

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

All right, people. Speed Racer has been out a whole 5 days on video and I have yet to see a review of it from you guys!

Get with it!!

I hear the blu-ray is gorgeous... *sigh* I wanna blu-ray...

:lol::ninja:

Bah. The only movie that's likely to get money from me before Christmas is Ironman, and even that's only so I can partake in the steelbook case goodness.

Watchable youth kungfu fantasy, but not what I was expecting at all. Action scenes fun, but the plot was like a cross between The Last StarFighter and Karate Kid.

Yeah I watched it on wednesday and I didn't think it was that great either. The kid they cast for the lead role was a little weird, but I'm glad someone like lebouf probably passed on it. The "romance" or w/e they wanted to call it between him and the asian girl was like emotional armed robbery, so forced. Plus completely impossible seeing as asian girls onyl hang out with asian dudes in crazy cliques and it pisses me off to no extent in real life becuase this is reality and when an asian chick does cross to the other side with a white guy its obvious she was abused as a child or some kind of sick miracle for that sob i hate him.

But I digress, the acting was pretty lack luster and the plot was downright ridiculous. I can understand its supposed to be cheesy and all but really some of the crap they pulled was dumb as heck.

In conclusion let me sum it up. Crappy story, crappy lead actor, ridiculously impossible romance between him and asian chick becuase it's like a statistical anomaly, less than mediocre kung fu action, and creepy monkey god guy.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I think the romance was forced because you forced it on it.

Seriously. There is no romance. Mistaking a hint of attraction that goes nowhere for "romance" is probably why that Asian chick is walking past you with some other white dude in the first place. The "romance" in this movie doesn't even get to the level of buying a chick a drink in a bar.

(Also, you guys seriously need to read Journey To The West. Sun Wukong is a classic character of Chinese literature.)

Edited by TrueNeutral

Seriously. There is no romance. Mistaking a hint of attraction that goes nowhere for "romance" is probably why that Asian chick is walking past you with some other white dude in the first place. The "romance" in this movie doesn't even get to the level of buying a chick a drink in a bar.

(Also, you guys seriously need to read Journey To The West. Sun Wukong is a classic character of Chinese literature.)

There's no need to get hostile here....

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Jet Li, is that you?

Careful Slug, he can kill you with his pinky.

I'm sorry. I just get annoyed at geeks projecting their social inadequacies on other things because it reminds me of how I used to before I could actually talk to people without Y chromosones.

Err- I mean! YES I AM JET LI, I SHALL KILL YOU WITH WELL COREOGRAPHED SPECIAL EFFECTS AND MY CREEPY SMILE THAT YOU NEVER SAW BEFORE THIS MOVIE. ALSO MY SOUL IS FILLED WITH MAGGOTS.

PS I APOLOGIZE FOR MUMMY 3.

There's no need to get hostile here....

That's an absurd way to refute TrueNeutral when your own statement could easily be taken as hostile, or at least insulting.

Plus completely impossible seeing as asian girls onyl hang out with asian dudes in crazy cliques and it pisses me off to no extent in real life becuase this is reality and when an asian chick does cross to the other side with a white guy its obvious she was abused as a child or some kind of sick miracle for that sob i hate him.

I'm Asian, and my husband is "white". I know many Asian women with "white" spouses/boyfriends, as well as Asian men with "white" women, including my own family. It's true that there can often be deep cultural clashes/biases in this area (not just w/Asians either), but to suggest that Asian women who are w/a white guy means she was abused as child, or whatever - is quite offensive to me. ;)

If you were rejected by some Asian women in your life, I can understand your romantic frustration, but really...if you're going to stereotype in such a rude fashion, expect that not everyone is going to react in a friendly manner.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ok maybe I was a little out of line there. When I get on these crazy rants I don't even know what I'm typing half the time. But seriously I think we can agree that from a cultural stand point usually people of the same ethnicity tend to stay together while shying away from others. I'll shut up now.

Edit: plz don't hate me lady :'(

Edited by theslug

This is totally random but Goku, the lead guy from Dragonball Z is loosely based on the Monkey King from 'Journey to the West'. The Monkey King is a Chinese cultural icon on par with the Panda by all means.

Also, theslug you have clearly never been to any of the UC campuses here in California. Asian girls are all chasing white guys here... and no I am not bitter...

Armageddon. I haven't seen this since it came out on video (VHS, ahahaha)back in the day, and it was on satellite yesterday. Not a completely horrible film, although it should be shelved forever for dumping that ****ty Aerosmith song on us.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Ok maybe I was a little out of line there. When I get on these crazy rants I don't even know what I'm typing half the time. But seriously I think we can agree that from a cultural stand point usually people of the same ethnicity tend to stay together while shying away from others. I'll shut up now.

Edit: plz don't hate me lady :'(

Like I said, there are certainly cultural/psychological and "traditional" biases, but actual stats on frequency of intermixed marriages depend a lot on location, as well as generational "tradition" gaps. There could be a whole interesting thread on that topic alone, from a psychological/pure stat standpoint. :wub: Didn't like your phrasing, but we all rant sometimes. I don't hate ya. heh

Movies: I picked up "Married Life" in the rental store because Chris Cooper starred, and I love that actor. But the movie fell somewhat flat - it had some potential for being a milder more introspective American Beauty or something, in terms of it's topic and quirky/bizarre character motivations, but the plot itself wasn't great and they took it too seriously/arty so it felt kind of dull/lackluster. One of those films where you can't stop watching, but you're thinking "this could've been so much better" the entire time. Not one of Chris' better films.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Would have been quite good if they had axed Karate Kid. Jackie Chan's still got the drunken style down pat.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Ack, I watched the Forbidden Kingdom and did not enjoy it all. The only interesting part is when Jackie Chan and Jet Li have their fight. Seeing two kung-fu movie legends going at it was pretty cool.

But seriously, for the first movie they did together, it was dissapointing. They needed to lose that goofy karate kid and have the entire movie in the semi chinese fantasy setting. I think the movie would have been better if it was just a full-on Chinese production with a more traditional kung-fu movie setting.

Armageddon. I haven't seen this since it came out on video (VHS, ahahaha)back in the day, and it was on satellite yesterday. Not a completely horrible film, although it should be shelved forever for dumping that ****ty Aerosmith song on us.

Hey, Michael Bay knows how to blow **** up.

i finally watched iron man, han**** and wanted.

first, iron man was great. highly entertaining. the last line of the movie had me cheering. i've always been a rdj fan anyway. we're buying this one for sure.

han**** was ok. i read a review that was rather negative and, IMO, the reviewer really didn't understand the movie. odd that i would say i understood it and he didn't because some of it left me a bit confused. it is a bit vague and ambiguous at points, and that was certainly hampered by the high level of alcohol that was in my system friday night (after a wedding reception). either way, the points the reviewer made were, well, nonsense, and even drunk-ass me figured out what he didn't.

wanted was, well, strange. i slept through a bunch of it so i don't know what went on in the middle that linked the guy to what he did in the end (which i saw). i was exhausted by the time i watched this one, so i'll have to hold out on judgement for now.

oh, i was in FL attending my buddy's wedding (on friday) this weekend. we got into cocoa beach thursday and came back yesterday afternoon. i rented a movie every night, in the order listed above. waste of money doing it at a hotel, but it was either that or lie awake all night with crap tv.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Watched The Dark Knight again.

I am surprised at how much more I like it the second time around, though I think they bungled on the ending.

Also, am I the only one who thought Aaron Eckhart's performance was just as praiseworthy as Heath Ledger's?

He was good, but he didn't die, so he fails.

Let's see... I watched the old 1998 film Merlin, decent movie although it could have been better in places. As for The Dark Knight, it was a good film -much better than I was expecting- and worth the price of seeing it at a IMAX.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I am surprised at how much more I like it the second time around, though I think they bungled on the ending.

Also, am I the only one who thought Aaron Eckhart's performance was just as praiseworthy as Heath Ledger's?

Yes, he fails... at being AN HERO!

Sorry, that was in poor taste but I couldn't resist.

Anyway, I think his performance isn't praised as often as Ledger's not only because he's still breathing, but because his role in the movie is accessory to the Batman/Joker antagonism which is the main theme of the movie.

On a side note, I just saw Falling Down. Awesome movie. Somewhat depressing, too.

Yes, he fails... at being AN HERO!

Sorry, that was in poor taste but I couldn't resist.

Anyway, I think his performance isn't praised as often as Ledger's not only because he's still breathing, but because his role in the movie is accessory to the Batman/Joker antagonism which is the main theme of the movie.

On a side note, I just saw Falling Down. Awesome movie. Somewhat depressing, too.

Maybe not the best played, but definately the coolest character in TDK was Eric Roberts as the italian mobster.

*SPOILERS*

- Joker threatening to blow up everything? A sigh.

- Harvey Dent pointing a gun to your head? Smile and ask what's in for me?

- Batman beating up all your henchmen? You look bored and wonder what is taking so long.

- Batman threatening to throw you down a building? Mocking him that such a fall can't even kill you.

- Batman keeping his end of the bargain and still throwing you down so that you break both of your legs? Looking annoyed and tell the goddamn batman what he wants to know so you can finally return to do some business, and oh yeah, getting a stick as well.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

- Joker threatening to blow up everything? A sigh.

- Harvey Dent pointing a gun to your head? Smile and ask what's in for me?

- Batman beating up all your henchmen? You look bored and wonder what is taking so long.

- Batman threatening to throw you down a building? Mocking him that such a fall can't even kill you.

- Batman keeping his end of the bargain and still throwing you down so that you break both of your legs? Looking annoyed and tell the goddamn batman what he wants to know so you can finally return to do some business, and oh yeah, getting a stick as well.

:ermm:

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS