Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Cronos - great movie, too bad it's so hard to find. Next I think I'll grit my teeth and see how bad the Resident Evil films are, I've heard they weren't that awful and I have Netflix so I can always send them back if I cannot stand them.

I agree with taks there, The Resident Evil movies are mild entertainment. I think the best part is the sheer simplicity of them, they aren't trying to be something that they are not. But if you're looking for Romero-quality, look somewhere else.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

but trust me, many failed to understand it when it came out, hence the 'bad' rating at imdb.

7.5/10 seems about right. I would give it a 6.5 myself well done, but in the end pointless. 115 min I would like to have back.

Nah, i think that it should switch places with The Dark Knight. Jacob's Ladder can be seen multiple times, while TDK might be worthy of being a christmaspresent, since there's nothing on the telly during the holidays.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

oh, i thought there were limits on how many you got to view each month.

You can only have X number at the same time depending on your plan, but there is not a limit on how many you can get during a month and so there is no penalty for getting a movie, finding out you don't like it, and sending it back so another film will be sent. :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

ah, good deal then.

as for jacob's ladder, i must admit that overall the movie bothered me a bit. not scary so much as disturbing, particularly the ending. there's always a movie here or there that does that to me. the ending of fallen (with denzel washington) and seven did as well. the more i think about my past, the less surprised i am that i now require anti-depressants. :thumbsup:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

:thumbsup:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

ah, good deal then.

as for jacob's ladder, i must admit that overall the movie bothered me a bit. not scary so much as disturbing, particularly the ending. there's always a movie here or there that does that to me. the ending of fallen (with denzel washington) and seven did as well. the more i think about my past, the less surprised i am that i now require anti-depressants. o:)

taks

Se7en has one of the most awesome movie endings in history.

I'd much rather have a disturbing ending than a typical hollywood happy end.

Edit: Se7en even had alternate endings, which were equally awesome:

An early version of the script features a completely different ending in which Doe's visiting and killing Tracy does not occur. Instead there is a final confrontation between Doe (Spacey), Mills (Pitt) and Somerset (Freeman). Doe kills Mills, and in his rage, Somerset acts out the sin of wrath, taking brutal vengeance upon Doe. Somerset shoots Doe not to kill, but rather to inflict maximum pain, shooting Doe in each arm and each leg. As Doe writhes in agony, Somerset sets Doe ablaze and lets him burn alive.

In this version of the script the ending suggests that Somerset will not retire after all. Instead, the now-widowed Tracy moves away to have her baby and try to find the kind of life to which Somerset had envisioned himself retiring. He symbolically passes what had been his vision of his future on to her.

The special edition of the DVD makes clear that other endings were considered. An unfilmed alternate ending features Somerset shooting John Doe in an act of self-sacrifice to save Mills. When Mills yells "What are you doing?" Somerset says, "I'm retiring."

On the DVD commentary, Fincher states that once the desired resolution to the Doe/Mills/Somerset confrontation was settled upon, the film was then to end immediately after Mills shot Doe— the final camera shots being the scene of the crime seen from the helicopter. Nevertheless, in the end the additional scene was added with Mills being driven off and Somerset indicating that he would not retire yet.

Edited by Pope

...the ending of fallen (with denzel washington)

Is that the one where he is a demon that can transfer from person to person at will? If so, the ending was superb.

I loved Se7en. Its one of my all time favorites. The ending stunned me with the genius of how it wrapped up. Hell, even the alternate ending Pope lists are good!

Is that the one where he is a demon that can transfer from person to person at will? If so, the ending was superb.

Yes. Good flick

Watched Season One of Dexter

Great show with some twisted dark humor and good old fashioned Ultra violence. Michael C. Hall has come along way since his "acting" in Six Feet Under

...the ending of fallen (with denzel washington)

I loved Se7en. Its one of my all time favorites. The ending stunned me with the genius of how it wrapped up. Hell, even the alternate ending Pope lists are good!

yeah, that's the one. yes, these were all good endings, but the kind that make you a little queasy thinking about them.

taks

"The fallen" sounds intruiging. I have to check that one out this weekend. I can take it is not something you watch in your cushy couch with your girlfriend with the fireplace lit in the background? :)

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

oh, i don't know... it's not really a horror flick, more of a suspense flick with a horror subject. the movie is quite well done overall, not just the ending, but the ending is one of those that just gets to you and makes you think on it for a while... a long while.

taks

i watched jumper the other day and rather liked it. i don't care a whole lot about some of the deeper aspects of movies (i just want to be entertained, my life is deep enough) though the way they ended it with his mother irked me. i wanted her dead when the movie officially revealed her connection. she was neither a mother nor a devotee to the faith.

I watched that movie just to spot all the scenes that were filmed here in town. Didn't really care enough about the movie to watch it for any other reason.

Well, i watched "Fallen" and it was ok, but not as neat i hoped it would be. They spoiled it too much with the "i'm nasty and evil"-stuff. 6.5/10

However, by recommendations of the same genre, namely thrillers with cultish or mystical undertones, i sumpled upon "Angel Heart" (1987) with Mickey Rourke and Robert DeNiro. Now THAT movie had what "Fallen" didn't have; intruiging story (eventhough i figured it out very early on, i just enjoyed the ride), tremendous atmosphere and great sense of suspense. Plus, it has to have one of the most eerie endings that i know of, it really makes you feel uncomfortable.

9/10.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

12 Angry Men (Henry Fonda) - One of my favorite classic flicks for 10 bucks. I was happy.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Fallen was frustrating because Denzel pulled out all the stops to kill the demon and still failed, but it was still very awesome.

Se7en rocked. I think that was the first film I noticed Kevin Spacey in.

*Humming*

Tiiiiiiime is on my siiiiiiiide...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Perhaps it's a way to transition from Arnie's familiar-faced Terminator to the "new guys" face...I mean, if you're going to have a guy who looks kinda like Arnie play Arnie's famous role, seems sensible to have an early plot cameo to help audiences accept someone else in the role...maybe?

I had no clue Christian Bale was going to be John Connor. That increases the odds that I'll see this new Terminator film by, oh, 6%, for a grand total of a 13% chance.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts