What are you playing now?

Darque

I had an active personal boycott of EA games for a while. Not simply out of gaming politics but because most of their recent games aren't worth purchasing over their older iterations.

However, I loved the BF 2142 demo so much, I had to give up my scruples... just this once, though!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

With all these people apparantly refusing to buy EA products, it's amazing they're still in business and rather successful at that. WOWSERS! I'm totally even more in awe of their prowess. :verymad:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I just bought a widescreen LCD monitor and found out that BF 2142 doesn't support it. They have sai it creates an unfair advantage. That's insane, and I'm very disappointed.

lololololololololol

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You know, they are making a movie out of the Metal Gear franchise.

Directed by this fine man I'm sure. :sweat:

Boll wants to, obviously, but Hideo Kojima has explicitly stated that Uwe Boll will never come within a mile of the project. That having been said, some of the names attached to the project even at this early stage are not encouraging. I think one of the producers is the big name behind Ghost Rider.

Metal Gear Solid is a good game, but it'd make a **** movie. Unless it's an anime, in which case villains taking a breather before a fight to explain their traumatizing childhood and tragic, tragic losses would be normal or even desired.

I am playing VtM Bloodlines. I'm still in Santa Monica, taking it slow.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Metal Gear Solid is a good game, but it'd make a **** movie.

this could be said about most good games.. I don't understand why this whole concept has become so popular!

cartoons - sure.. but video games really have a bad track record in the movie industry.. Why they keep doing it eludes me, there's more money in making regular braindead action films!

Fortune favors the bald.

this could be said about most good games.. I don't understand why this whole concept has become so popular!

cartoons - sure.. but video games really have a bad track record in the movie industry.. Why they keep doing it eludes me, there's more money in making regular braindead action films!

Advertising costs.

For non-sequel, non-spinoff movies, most of the advertising costs go just to get the target audience to have a generic idea of what the film is about. If a film is a sequel, or spun off of a popular book, comic, game, etc., the target audience already has this general awareness, and advertising will be much cheaper. This is especially true now that studios are doing 2 cycles of advertising for all their films-- one at the theatrical release, and the other a few months later at the DVD release date. Thus, given the choice between original stories and game spinoffs, studios are more likely to give funding to the game spinoff because the cost of promoting the film will be lower.

And, to get back to the topic:

On PC, I'm playing NWN2 and M2:TW.

On GBA, I'm playing Zelda: Minish Cap.

Edited by Enoch

On GBA, I'm playing Zelda: Minish Cap.

Just replayed and refinished it recently. Great game. Though, be prepared for the awfully bad designed way of getting a certain Heart Piece later on. My advice: start investing in Mysterious Shells early on and buy all of Carlov's figurines before beating the game.

What's your opinion of M2:TW?

I suppose it's not entirely accurate to say that I'm "playing" it currently. I played it for a little while, tired of it rather quickly, and put it aside to try again when the next patch comes out. Even in Rome:TW, I found siege assaults mostly tedious, and in this game it seems that 80% of my battles are seige assaults. This may be historically accurate, but it's not much fun to me, so I end up using the autocalc whenever I have a significant numbers advantage. I did enjoy the open-field battles, the papal politics, the Crusades, the Guild system, and other neat features of the game, though, so I'm not going to shelf it indefinitely.

The main reason I gave it a rest came after I checked the forums at totalwar.org and saw some of the ridiculous bugs that are still in the game. The two most shocking bugs are that some of the animations for halberdier-type units simply aren't working (and the attacks only work when the animations go, so it makes the unit completely ineffective in certain situations), and that the portion of a unit's defense rating that is attributed to their shield is somehow coded backwards so that it is a net negative in melee combat (it's still helpful against missiles). There are fan-made fixes to these problems, but I figure that I'll wait for the next official patch, as I have no shortage of things to do in my free time at the moment.

I finished replaying BG&E yesterday.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

In terms of games I'm more actively playing currently, let's see...

I've only just barely started playing Close Combat - Cross of Iron. Pretty awesome real-time system. The slow pacing is quite nice. The psychological aspect of warfare seems to fairly well-implemented.

I'm still plowing through Hotel Dusk for the DS. The story/writing is still quite compelling. The presentation is very nice. The pacing could use a bit of work, but the rest makes up for it. About 5 hrs in at this point.

In terms of SRPGs, I'm playing through Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 1. Gameplay-wise, it's fairly standard SRPG fare so far, but with giant robots of destruction. This is my guilty pleasure. There's quite a remarkable amount of text for a SRPG, and with Atlus' localization, quite appreciated. Fun game.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I'm sad to say that me and my cousin have given up on playing Neverwinter Nights 2 co-op. It is too clunky, slow and boring to play that game together.

Why did they make it so the game freezes for all players as soon as one player engages in a dialogue? That's my biggest complaint. It truly makes the game unplayable in co-op in my opinion. We just couldn't take all the waiting around that being in Neverwinter (with all its dialogues) brought forth. You can't even check up on your player or sort your inventory while the other player is chatting! Horrible.

Also, the combat never got exciting. No aiming, no active skill usage (at least not for my rogue), useless skills all around (Darkness?! WTF?!) and just one click and then waiting until the game wins the battle and lets you insta-rest everyone up to full. In five seconds flat.

And what's with the forced companionship even in multiplayer?! I play multiplayer so I won't HAVE to bring with me dull NPC's! Yet they're forced upon me. Even though we both were playing evil characters, the NPC's kept clinging to us, completely opposite to their own beliefs. That's just stupid.

I will now try to finish the game in single player so I don't feel like I've just wasted 350 SEK on this game. Huge disappointment anyhow.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!