What You've Done Today - Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream.

Survived another year.  At least the cake turned out better this year.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

25 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Survived another year.  At least the cake turned out better this year.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

23 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

It's like one of those nightmarish town halls, where the CEO announces some bull**** award from an industry group

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Happy Birthday @Malcador  Enjoy the survival as you step one year closer to the grave....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

34 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Happy birthday @Malcador! The suffering continues.

• Like 3

Microplastics in water/food. Pesticides. Hormones. Too many sugars. Too much fillers etc etc.
And now ... Consumer Reports says rocket fuel. Or more specifically, perchlorate. Fruits/veggies 2nd highest after baby/kid foods.

To eliminate all risk, one must not eat, drink or breathe. eg, die. 😛

....but I'm doing fine, hey no one lives forever - and life is still grand/worth it. Hubby's still in a funky grump but such is life - we're going good overall. Hope it's going well for everyone else, too.

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Son just finished his first week of kindergarten and they sent out an allergy sheet for the kids allergies in his class specifically. It's a class of like 20 and the list of forbidden allergens has like 10 things on it. Like sorry dude, good luck eating at school. 

I always thought that was over exaggerated but now I see it is not. I remember in my entire school career we only had like 2 kids with severe food allergies is there any explanation on why they're so much more common now? I mean, I get why things like mental health diagnosis have gone way up, it's because we actually test for those things now and we understand it better. Obviously those things existed then we just didn't call it what it was but I can't image severe food allergies are able to go undetected, seems like something that would come out super quick.

Edited by ShadySands
Maybe it's just 1 or 2 kids with all 10 allergies
  • Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Son just finished his first week of kindergarten and they sent out an allergy sheet for the kids allergies in his class specifically. It's a class of like 20 and the list of forbidden allergens has like 10 things on it. Like sorry dude, good luck eating at school. 

I always thought that was over exaggerated but now I see it is not. I remember in my entire school career we only had like 2 kids with severe food allergies is there any explanation on why they're so much more common now? I mean, I get why things like mental health diagnosis have gone way up, it's because we actually test for those things now and we understand it better. Obviously those things existed then we just didn't call it what it was but I can't image severe food allergies are able to go undetected, seems like something that would come out super quick.

I might be wrong, but from what I remember when I was a kid, other kids did have food allergies, it's just that the school didn't really care enough to alert the other parents/students, much less tell them not to bring those foods to school. One of my friends in 3rd and 4th grade was allergic to chocolate, but it was totally left up to him to deal with that. Meanwhile, peanut butter is straight up banned in my nieces' school, which seems just crazy to me.

Pretty sure I've heard that children not being exposed to enough foods from a very early age tends to increase allergic reactions, and there's probably something to do with bacterial exposure (and transfer from the mother during pregnancy, childbirth, and when breastfeeding) as well. C-section babies supposedly have a much higher incidence of allergies, so I'm sure all sorts of small and difficult to quantify things go into it. Maybe even the micro-plastics completely permeating and poisoning our environments/bodies like @LadyCrimson mentioned above also have something to do with it...you never know.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Is it possible, that there is just more stuff added to what passes as “food” these days, than there used to be?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, I'm just a little drunk rambling in my post but thanks for the genuine feedback. My mom randomly developed an allergy to mango in her 30s, which I always thought was weird and terrifying. 

I'm lactose intolerant but I can't imagine being actually allergic to dairy like at least one kid in my son's class is. I love cheese despite the pain and carnage.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I think someone is trying to catfish me.

Got a random call from a lady in France the other day. Her friend gave her my number, since she is coming to Athens and I am apparently the person to talk to. And now I could remember her number for Whatsapp. So since that wouldn't be the first time hotel guests are weird in communication, I sent a message to the number on Whatsapp so she could contact me.

Turns out she apparently was trying to contact a real estate agent and must have gotten the number wrong. She was positively surprised by how nice I was about the whole thing.

Since then she messages me every day.

I am waiting for when she asks for money.

• Haha 5
  • Gasp! 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

3 hours ago, melkathi said:

I think someone is trying to catfish me.

Got a random call from a lady in France the other day. Her friend gave her my number, since she is coming to Athens and I am apparently the person to talk to. And now I could remember her number for Whatsapp. So since that wouldn't be the first time hotel guests are weird in communication, I sent a message to the number on Whatsapp so she could contact me.

Turns out she apparently was trying to contact a real estate agent and must have gotten the number wrong. She was positively surprised by how nice I was about the whole thing.

Since then she messages me every day.

I am waiting for when she asks for money.

sound like pig butcher

more likely will start talking about financial stuff and how much they made on certain website

could be stock or crypto trading site

then give fake website that will make profit at first wouldn't be able to withdraw money after a while

• Thanks 1

have to do something personally important and the cost of failure are high

there is no one but oneself to blame if this fail again

another cold and shaking panic attack

hope this end well

edit

sadly failed again

maybe there are another chance in 6 month

Edited by uuuhhii
  • Like 5

On 8/17/2024 at 5:15 AM, Bartimaeus said:

I might be wrong, but from what I remember when I was a kid, other kids did have food allergies, it's just that the school didn't really care enough to alert the other parents/students, much less tell them not to bring those foods to school. One of my friends in 3rd and 4th grade was allergic to chocolate, but it was totally left up to him to deal with that. Meanwhile, peanut butter is straight up banned in my nieces' school, which seems just crazy to me.

Pretty sure I've heard that children not being exposed to enough foods from a very early age tends to increase allergic reactions, and there's probably something to do with bacterial exposure (and transfer from the mother during pregnancy, childbirth, and when breastfeeding) as well. C-section babies supposedly have a much higher incidence of allergies, so I'm sure all sorts of small and difficult to quantify things go into it. Maybe even the micro-plastics completely permeating and poisoning our environments/bodies like @LadyCrimson mentioned above also have something to do with it...you never know.

I read that it could also be tied to not enough breastfeeding, but that was a long time ago, I don't know how valid it was/is.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

54 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I read that it could also be tied to not enough breastfeeding, but that was a long time ago, I don't know how valid it was/is.

That's actually what I meant, but my post was admittedly not very clear. My understanding is that more exposure to bacteria at a very young age (including from breastfeeding) leads to better outcomes. I assume there's also something relevant here with regards to early life gut health (and again, transfer from the mother!), which from everything I've heard over the past few years is an area of increasing interest for determining later life health outcomes and maybe even childhood brain disorders like autism. tl;dr: The vast majority of bacteria is either harmless or actively good for us, especially when we're very young.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Posted (edited)

Figured out how to make myself a sort of pan-chocolate cake/brownie - so it's semi low carb (120 net carbs or so for a 9x9 pan). Greek yogurt/cottage cheese, egg, a little actual flour, a little almond flour, a little sugar, butter, dark cocoa powder. It comes out sort of extra spongy but it tastes decent (I don't need super-sweet), and I have probably made it too often the past week (from trying to figure out a variation I liked).  >.>  

I tried that "cottage cheese/egg flatbread" notion too - I didn't like that as much. I mean, it's fine, and cut into squares would work to put your sausage/cheese between, but it tastes like ... well, quiche, or something. There is zero about it that makes me think "bread." Since I'm not zero-carb, I'd rather just eat a slice of bread a few times a week.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Got surgeried on my foot a few hours ago, I was worried it'd be local anaesthesia and I'd be awake, but thankfully they put me under. I say thankfully because the anaesthesiologist had alot of trouble finding the nerves on my thicc muscly thigh which is the one that goes to the area of the surgery, so I have full feeling in the area of the surgery, though I can't for the life of me feel my toes or left side of the foot. Because that nerve was at the kneejoint and was piss easy for them to find.

So. Yeah, ow, they gave me alot of oxy, but it's doing bugger all, I had more effect from the sedatives.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Surgery with local anaesthesia is great, especially when the dosage was off and the effect's fading while the surgeon's still rummaging around your insides and doesn't believe you. I can also recommend stapling highly sensitive parts of your body back together while the numbing effect is all but completely gone.

Good times.

Well, granted, that was like almost thirty years ago, I'm sure medical tech has improved a lot, but once bitten and all that. :yes:

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

7 hours ago, majestic said:

Surgery with local anaesthesia is great, especially when the dosage was off and the effect's fading while the surgeon's still rummaging around your insides and doesn't believe you. I can also recommend stapling highly sensitive parts of your body back together while the numbing effect is all but completely gone.

Good times.

Well, granted, that was like almost thirty years ago, I'm sure medical tech has improved a lot, but once bitten and all that. :yes:

I can very well imagine it, they are extremely hesitant to give any real pain meds though from what I notice. They did give me sedatives at the ward that did more than the morphine, but what ****ing good does that do me now that I'm home?

• Gasp! 1

Strange french lady on whatsapp now asked me for photos since "we have been talking for so long but don't really know each other"

On an unrelated note, instead of "each other" I typed "eachotehr" which autocorrect tried to change to "tachometer".

• Haha 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Day off work, so the only complaining and requests to do things comes from my family.

I applied to be on my HOA board, since I have no idea what is happening with it and I figure that is a good way to stay in the loop. There are 2 spots and 4 candidates running. I am the only one who wrote up a candidate statement. We will see if that hurts or helps. Yay democracy!

• Like 1