The All Things Political Topic

They won't. The only thing that can happen now is that Harris takes over once Biden is deemed unfit... but I still think Trump is going to win.

You know it's funny when it rains it pours
They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor

Say there ain't no hope for the youth and the truth is
It ain't no hope for tha future

Edited by ShadySands
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm really curious to hear what @Gromnir has to say about the recent Supreme Court decisions.

Seems like that's where the consequential stuff is happening right now.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Guess we can just hope the Dems take the Senate and House.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I missed the debate completely. Not sure I really want to catch up from the descriptions.

20 hours ago, majestic said:

Yes, Trump's mental state is mostly okay. Of course. He is a stable genius after all. The most brilliant mind of the century. Ah, what am I talking about, he's the greatest thinker of the modern age. That half of the US population thinks that this moron with the intelligence of a lobotomized chimpanzee represents and embodies them is a scathing indictment of the US education system.

The weird thing is that he wasn't that far off. People were researching sunlight (UV) treatments and using lavage at least as a treatment at the time.

(Very little chance Trump was thinking of that though. Very little. And as with his shilling of horse dewormer, dangerous to say even if he had been that extensively briefed)

15 hours ago, Malcador said:

Being easily mocked doesn't mean you're funny though.

Hard to get away from Trump being real when it comes to him being funny. You can laugh at easily mockable characters like Mr Bean as is, but if you had to potentially deal with a very real President Bean it would not be funny. A fictional Trump... well he'd probably be thought of as being a US Alan B'stard, more a unrealistic overdone caricature than mockable per se.

(Of course Tory politicians somehow managed to make Mr B'stard look toned down and reserved over the next 30 years, ho hum)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Well, we found out that Biden is past it and that the smart move would be to replace him

But thats  the problem  and real  criticism  towards the Dems political  Biden strategy making him  the candidate

We didnt find it out, we " knew  "   Biden had a  deterioration of his mental  acumen and the Dem strategists  ignored  this.  They got  over  confidant after  the midterms but they should have started  preparing a different candidate back then 

But now its  too late. Anyway only the undecided  voters  can save the Dems now but its  impossible to predict how they will vote 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I ended up catching the 'highlights' of the debate. Far worse than I imagined in some ways, in others almost exactly as expected. I mentioned Mr Bean previous, and watching that I far too often had 'Bean cringe' where vicarious embarrassment* made me want to hide behind the couch.

Managing to pick one candidate that lost to Trump was astounding, and it looks like the Democrats have somehow contrived to do it twice. It's certainly not that that was a vote winning performance for Trump- if his opponent was a pot plant we might be getting President Cyclamen next January based on his performance- but that had to be hugely demoralising for the democrats, especially anyone considering holding their nose to vote for a candidate they don't really like or want. It may still be possible to generate enough antienthusiasm for Trump to get the vote out but it's going to be far more difficult to have enthusiasm for Biden.

There doesn't seem to be much self reflection in the Democrat hierarchy about how they got here either, much the same as blaming Berniebros and anything/ anyone else for Hillary losing. I actually agree with Bruce, this was not a surprise to anyone except perhaps Democrat bigwigs living in their self reinforcing circle. That was a terminal performance, there is nothing that can be done to fix it. The only hope is that Trump contrives to do worse.

*at times it was far worse than embarrassment, it was far closer to pity. As one of the people the BBC interviewed for their report said, at times it just felt cruel and a bit sad.

All I have to do is remember the Supreme Court and their ongoing spree of suspect decisions - with the possibility of Trump getting to nominate even more of his justices while also trying to make good on unitary executive theory - and I suddenly get very enthusiastic about voting for Biden again. Of course, I didn't watch the debate in the first place because seeing both of these guys speak makes me uncomfortable, albeit in different ways: ignorance in this particular way, at least, is bliss.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

A vote for Biden is a vote for his team,  which are likely pulling most of the levers at this point. They are going to push the agenda of the party so they can all keep their jobs.

A vote for Trump is a vote for Trump. Sure, he has a team, and they may try to influence him, but they are also just trying to hang on until they have enough stories to cut loose and write a good memoir. 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein