Random video game news... Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!

DA2 had its dark moments, but most of them were hidden in optional lore tidbits you wouldn't come across if you didn't know where to look (like origins of Kirkwall city). Now Inquisition, that was a lukewarm bowl of unseasoned oatmeal, but even it had memorable moments and companions were the highlight (though I still think Varric had no plausible reason to be there). Sometimes I remember those moments and briefly think of replaying DA:I, but then remember vast empty plains littered with respawning groups of three dudes, lootless titanium bears with homing systems, random collectibles and...yeah, nah. 

From what I saw about BG3 companions + extrapolating from D:OS2, I'd probably want to toss them all into Skaen's blood pool as soon as possible.  

11 hours ago, Sven_ said:

I'm generally rarely playing RPGs for companions anymore. Some of them are fun, some are not, but: You can only re-dress the same old corpse so many times. It's still the same corpse. I've already burst into a kind of rant about that here, so.... 😄 

I mean, even Jagged Alliance has more interesting stuff going on in some ways, like people bonding with others, whilst others would absolutely not be onboard if Y was involved.... 

Even Exogate tracks relationships between randomly generated staff.

Sometimes it feels that every genre does better generic npcs than rpg games do.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

19 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

That's a crazy amount of time spent on a game you'll never play. I don't even spend that much time on things I like.

Never said I'll never play it. :)

BG3 is a very unique game for me in that it is a game I soooooooo very much *wanted* to love, because of how much I love the first two games. So that's why I spent so much time on the Larian forum talking about the game, and the things I was unhappy with, in a desperate hope someone at Larian would give my feedback some consideration and the final game at release would be at least okay. As such, launch day for BG3 was a bitterly disappointing day for me. But I feel that in time my strong negative feelings toward the game will soften and I'll be open to playing it. I also feel, very strongly, that given the many, many core elements of the game (TB combat, all the cinematics and voice acting, the whole tadpole system, origin companions, to name the main ones), that I detest, it is reasonable for me to not pay anywhere near full price for the game. So I'll wait and get the game when it is around 50% off, give or take.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ZA-UM continues to be a mess, with Disco Elysium spinoff canceled, and more people fired. I don't think ZA-UM owners are helping their case, at least as far as publc perception is concerned. Have no clue how their legal battle with Disco Elysium creative leads progresses.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/game-development/for-a-while-it-seemed-like-miracles-were-possible-and-with-them-redemption-a-follow-up-to-the-legendary-disco-elysium-might-have-been-ready-to-play-within-the-next-yearzaums-devs-loved-it-management-canceled-it-and-laid-off-the-team/

• Sad 2

Nah, it's what the average person says when you show them a south african url and ask which country it's from.

Sounds like the company is now managed much the same as Zimbabwe though.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

I thought ZA-UM was a political party in Zimbabwe.

No, you got them confused with ZANU.

Though you have to differentiate between ZANU-PF and ZANU-Ndonga nowadays.

Or you are thinking of ZUM. That doesn't exist anymore.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It's very on theme for Disco Elysium to go down in blazes of war between corporate greed and creative collective. I'm okay with it never getting any sequels, it was obviously a lightning-in-a-bottle kind of game. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wormerine said:

ZA-UM continues to be a mess, with Disco Elysium spinoff canceled, and more people fired. I don't think ZA-UM owners are helping their case, at least as far as publc perception is concerned. Have no clue how their legal battle with Disco Elysium creative leads progresses.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/game-development/for-a-while-it-seemed-like-miracles-were-possible-and-with-them-redemption-a-follow-up-to-the-legendary-disco-elysium-might-have-been-ready-to-play-within-the-next-yearzaums-devs-loved-it-management-canceled-it-and-laid-off-the-team/

This is what happens when you let The Ultraliberals run things.

On 6/14/2024 at 1:37 PM, kanisatha said:

I also feel, very strongly, that given the many, many core elements of the game (TB combat, all the cinematics and voice acting, the whole tadpole system, origin companions, to name the main ones), that I detest, it is reasonable for me to not pay anywhere near full price for the game. So I'll wait and get the game when it is around 50% off, give or take.

That's cool and all, but it's perplexing to see the bolded as a core element that you detest in BG3 given your excitement for Dragon Age, a series that has been very much about cinematics and full va since 2011 and where the gameplay trailer for the upcoming title in the series is at least a quarter cinematics.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

looks really nice, apologies if it was shared already, and I missed it

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Don't think there's any reason not to take Paradox at their word on this; they're a bit more polite in their phrasing but the gist is that it was not saleable, and not likely to get saleable in a reasonable timeframe. Which does happen, especially if the game is ambitious. They're probably keen to avoid another PR disaster too.

Kind of ironic that the previous post is a trailer for a game by The Chinese Room, given Paradox has them trying to rescue something from Bloodlines 2. Though whether it's rain on your wedding day ironic or actually ironic will be known in a couple of months. I'm not sure anyone expects Bloodlines 2 to be good at this point but you never know.

22 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

hat's cool and all, but it's perplexing to see the bolded as a core element that you detest in BG3 given your excitement for Dragon Age, a series that has been very much about cinematics and full va since 2011 and where the gameplay trailer for the upcoming title in the series is at least a quarter cinematics.

We'll see about DA4 (the trailer being a trailer and not necessarily representative of how the game will be), but I disagree about BG3 and DA4 being the same in cinematics. There is no RPG out there, including upcoming games, that even comes close to BG3's extent of cinematics. Larian themselve have boasted about the extent of cinematics in their game, claiming a whopping 175+ hours of cinematics that they recorded for their game (and that was before all the post-release updates and patches). And therein lies the real issue, because I'm not opposed to some cinematics in a AAA RPG. It's that BG3 has gone so far into cinematics that for me effectively the game is far too much like watching a movie than playing a game.

On 6/17/2024 at 1:01 PM, bugarup said:

It's very on theme for Disco Elysium to go down in blazes of war between corporate greed and creative collective. I'm okay with it never getting any sequels, it was obviously a lightning-in-a-bottle kind of game. :)

It is worth mentioning that three that left weren't responsible for 100% of DE content, and Argo who was the lead of the spinoff worked on DE1 and was part of the original pre-game collective. Whenever the three that left were necessary for a proper follow up, though even if the spin-off wouldn't work it seems its development was far from ideal. Eitherway, the situations seems like a dumpster fire, and I feel we will be hearing about the behind the scenes drama for a long time to come.

5 hours ago, kanisatha said:

We'll see about DA4 (the trailer being a trailer and not necessarily representative of how the game will be), but I disagree about BG3 and DA4 being the same in cinematics. There is no RPG out there, including upcoming games, that even comes close to BG3's extent of cinematics. Larian themselve have boasted about the extent of cinematics in their game, claiming a whopping 175+ hours of cinematics that they recorded for their game (and that was before all the post-release updates and patches). And therein lies the real issue, because I'm not opposed to some cinematics in a AAA RPG. It's that BG3 has gone so far into cinematics that for me effectively the game is far too much like watching a movie than playing a game.

One of the issues with the cinematics in Larian's D&D game is that it feels worse when the camera switches from the isometric perspective to over-the-shoulder. Another two are the animations (most were exaggerated just enough to clash with too detailed visual style; the only good one is the Sailor Moon transformation at the end of Act 2 and that one was not supposed to be realistic) and that the immersive-sim elements worked poorly with having your actions and movement restricted by a cut-scene (fortunately, switching to another character and attacking usually could resolve it). Overall, the density of cut-scenes that are not the general dialogues (i.e. have some camera work) is not too high, but I also was skipping as soon as I had read the subtitles (the lack of pause and the buffs wearing in real-time for not-dialogue-locked companions did not help with watching the cut-scenes).

Edited by Hawke64
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Well, yes, but the amount of cinematics in BG3 is tied to heavy rectivity (and they probably count stuff like same conversations for different races) rather than cinematics being a bigger part of the experience. Dragon Age origins I think was also proud in that extend - stuff like how much dialogue was voiced. It being full VO was the marketing point if I remember correctly.

I am not sure if I posted it on those forums, but Larian did a GDC talk about their approach to cinematics.

Edited by Wormerine