What are you Playing Now? - Back to the Grind

majestic

59 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

3 days until release, 3 years until it's stable.

I am kind of hoping 3rd time's the charm because I plan on playing it day one or weekend one. I mean Wrath was decent on launch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Starship Troopers: Terran Command

Would You Like to know more?

Spoiler

I played the tutorial, which basically is that Klendathu disaster opening scene of the movie, including the description that it's an ugly planet, a bug planet.

Since, I have started the game's campaign and beaten the first four missions. I haven't done every achievement, such as kill X bugs with a specific ability.

I play on normal (the middle of 5 difficulties) and haven't had much trouble yet. Still, I have way to go, so the difficulty is bound to ramp up. Especially now that the bugs have gotten those big nasty tankers.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Done with lies of P:

grafik.png.d2faead167482d52d89e12bc1c041353.png

NG+ optional final boss sure is something. Actually, the optional final boss is still the only one where I feel I have not really gotten a decent grasp on how to play against, but I've defeated it twice now (need to play through all the three endings for the achievements, and you need to fight it in two of them) by playing just well enough to get it down within a handful of tries. The other two non-optional bosses before it, well, they were pushovers in NG+.

Spoiler

NG+ Simon Manus was a joke. Well, maybe regular game Simon Manus is a joke too, but it takes some time getting used to his moveset and he has a lot of health, and NG+ damage output is much higher due to the insane amount of souls ergo you gather from enemies compared to the first run. Laxasia on the other hand, who everyone else apparently thinks is the hardest boss in the game, is relatively simple fight as long as you figure out that the grindstone giving you perfect guard can be used to make her long lightning attacks a complete non-issue. Not only do you deal insane damage by reflecting all her lightning back to her, it also lasts long enough to counter the otherwise ridiculously hard to parry fury attack where she charges at you across the entire arena in a quarter of a second, with barely a way to see when it begins, not only knocking down a quarter of her health right at the start, but also making her vulnerable to an onslaught of hits from you for a bit.

Anyone playing and struggling, well, don't sleep on throwables. There's a shop in the Malum District that carries an unlimited supply for all of them, at a fairly cheap price to boot (this should alleviate any concern about having to horde consumables), and they do pack a punch, inflict status effects and a large amount of stagger. If you can get any boss down to half their health there's a decent chance you can just throw stuff at them until they die. Adding extra belt slots and increasing your throwable carrying capacity through the upgrade system is very much worth it.

The summoning system where you can get an NPC specter to help you fight bosses on the other hand is really hit and miss. I played though the entire game without using it, only trying it here and there on the later runs. In theory it is a good idea because the specter sometimes has aggro from the boss and you can freely wail at their backside, however, many boss attacks and abilities hit in very wide angles, or even cover 360°, making them more of a curse then a blessing. They also don't stop the boss from just switching to you in a sequence of attacks that is patently hard to read from behind them. Probably the least interesting aspect of the combat system. Could use some work.

Looking forward to the teased Wizard of Oz game from Neowiz. :yes:

• Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

I am kind of hoping 3rd time's the charm because I plan on playing it day one or weekend one. I mean Wrath was decent on launch.

Good Journey Struggler.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, majestic said:

The summoning system where you can get an NPC specter to help you fight bosses on the other hand is really hit and miss. I played though the entire game without using it, only trying it here and there on the later runs. In theory it is a good idea because the specter sometimes has aggro from the boss and you can freely wail at their backside, however, many boss attacks and abilities hit in very wide angles, or even cover 360°, making them more of a curse then a blessing. They also don't stop the boss from just switching to you in a sequence of attacks that is patently hard to read from behind them. Probably the least interesting aspect of the combat system. Could use some work.

I never liked co-op (either with PCs or NPCs) in the Souls game for this: having two players either trivializes a boss (by just playing off the other with forcing frequent aggro switches, thereby giving piles of free hits), or...the boss is one of them whirlwindy/AoE types and everything just quickly becomes an absolute cluster. Neither ever really resulted in very satisfying outcomes to me.

5 hours ago, majestic said:

Look, Joe liked Lies of P enough to release his first video in a year:

but even after watching the whole thing, he still failed to convince me to play it

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

22 hours ago, melkathi said:

I recall having three ladies in my party, the paladin with a name that reminded me of bottled mineral water, the Eskimo dwarf, and the grieving mother.

Literally in my  next session I came across Sangani and Grieving Mother,  I can handle no   Romance but not having any women in  my party seemed ...incongruous 

I decided  to keep  Grieving Mother as a    active companion, I dont have a Cipher

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

25 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Almost done with Sunless Sea, moping up some quest lines. Funny how this game low-key and without judging lets you be a heartless monstrosity who <snip> torture or feeds tourists to spiders. 

Ah, the dev too has worked in tourism and is working through his trauma with this game.

The whole game makes so much more sense now.

• Haha 5

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

7 hours ago, Sarex said:

Hopefully I don't get the Eclipse.

You will become the Skull Knight. 

• Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

22 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

3 days until release, 3 years until it's stable.

5 years before you can get it 90% off

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

More Starship Troopers.

More fighting on Kwalasha.

Obviously the bugs cannot match the might and courage of the brave men of the mobile infantry.

Do You Want To Know More?

Spoiler

We held the line at the impenetrable Fort Meru.

We orderly evacuated from Fort Meru when it got overrun. They said it was impenetrable. Nobody said it was imoverrunable.

We cleared the plasma bugs to make possible the rescue of survivors of the fubared evacuation.

Next mission to survive the fubar rescue.

• Like 2

Still failing against the Japan scenario in RT3 due to the demand at the destination being very weird - the price is lower than places with an abundance. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

NMS - update time, and they're repeating "Expeditions" all month so ppl can repeat them, or if you missed them, do them for the 1st time. I have never done one at all, so I tried the first one. You have to start a new game/chr and there are different mechanics/rules/objectives to follow etc.

Loaded in and ... "You cannot craft anything outside of a claimed base territory, not a metal plate, battery, anything" ... I tried for a while, and it's not that bad, just annoying. I can understand why people like the extra goals/challenges ... but yeah ... the rewards are only base/costume deco and a Fighter ship I will never care about/use and I like my own goals better, so exit, stage left.

And just to say, I *still* see things in the game I've never seen before. Just little things. Not things most would care about but I like it.
Currently on a quest to portal-address record all "blob" pet companion varieties I (randomly, all rng) find/come across. The odder ones are kinda rare.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Started The Outer Worlds Halcyon DLC. The antivirus quarantined one of the files, so spent some time trying to figure out why the game was not launching. 
Spent an hour talking to people (and checking their pockets for access cards). The game looks gorgeous (might have something to do with running at 60 FPS), from style to animations, and the dialogue options are varied. I also greatly appreciate the static skill checks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have started Dark Souls Remastered for the first time. This time, I am planning to go with more melee focused character. Last time, I had to go full caster, as I was to clumsy to defeat Ornstein and Smough :) we’ll see How will I fare this time 😄 

I have defeated two bosses so far. Taurus and Gargoyles and I have already died 16 times 😄 next in line is Capra Demon, who stopped me very first playthrough for a year or so, as he was impossible for me to defeat, untill I’ve learned how to make the fight easier, with cleverly using the arena layout 🙂 

• Like 3

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Still with RT3. Got a good economy seed in the Japan scenario, beat it handily.  One last scenario to beat then I guess I can start playing another game, the last scenario is one of the annoying ones where you need net worth.   I always forget to do stock buybacks (well that and I guess I suck at earning money to do so).

• Like 1

RT3 defeated. Sort of a crooked way I won the last mission with gold though, just waited until last possible minute and pumped my networth by buying my company's shares on margin in a huge amount, just got me over.

The Murder on Eridanos. In progress. Somehow surprised at the number of assassination attempts the victim had survived before dying. After spending 2 months on LinkedIn, the writing seems especially touching and thought-provoking, while remaining humorous. I also remembered that I was not particularly fond of the combat and items, though, the former has been mostly avoidable so far.

Spoiler

The gameplay logic tells me that the killer is the person I cannot reach, thus, it is Administrator Ludovico.

Spirit of the North. It is a walking simulator with light puzzles, platforming elements, and collectibles (bringing staves to skeletons). The protagonist is a fox who follows a fox spirit across a northern landscape. It is an impressive project for 2 people - it is playable, consistent, short, and it looks and runs fine. On the other hand, there are no rebindable controls, the controls in general feel clunky, the last area was a navigational nightmare, and I had one soft-lock. I also was unable to launch the EGS version through Steam, so there are very few screenshots taken. Still, it is significantly better than Lost Ember, another game with a fox following a spirit, due to the spirit being a silent fox instead of a narrator.

• Like 2

How many months was I gone this time?

Anyway, I'm playing a mix of Lethal Company, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Rogue Trader.

RDR2 is the hardest to recommend, but maybe that's because it's a slow start. Probably more on me than the game.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I completed PoE 1 after about 70   hours,  it was a very good RPG  experience

Firstly I give this game 75/100 on the globally followed  "   BruceVC game rating system " and one of the reasons it gets such a good score is because Obsidian was able to successfully create a  new  fantasy game world with interesting lore  and a new ruleset. And thats hard with the understandable popularity of  D&D   rules

Some of the things I enjoyed about the new    ruleset was how any class can use any armour or weapons and also I liked the new classes like the  Cipher.  So kudos to Obsidian for being able to create something different and still enjoyable

I thought the overall narrative was very unexpected and exciting, at the end I didnt think to discover the truth about the gods and I decided to release the souls back to bodies  they were intended and end the hollowborn curse but I considered all the options and the consequences.Thought provoking choices at  the end 

Combat was a big win  for me and I enjoyed the mechanics  involved. By slowing down the game  and using pause you can literally create dozens of strategies and approaches to win battles. I did have a hard time winning certain hard fights like the Sky Dragon and the final battle with Thaos but once I started using the  combat log I  was able to identify what I was getting wrong with my attacks so I then started becoming strategic and used buffs to increase  my accuracy and spells  to decrease Will. Paralyze become my friend and Prayer against Fear was critical in the dragon fights. But I also tried to kill the Sky Dragon at level 9 and then came back later at level  11 and had  a much better  time  

I also enjoyed the Endless Paths and I decided to free the master instead of combat, great side quest 

A few negatives, I lost interest in reading souls after 30 or so people because you cant do anything with the knowledge you learn. It would nice to see a way where you could incorporate what you learn into a quest? And then I found some of  the companions lacked  depth or didnt  have very compelling side quests. I would also  have preferred Romance as well 

But overall a really good game and I plan to now play White March 1&2. Im going to have quick break and then play these expansions over Christmas  holidays 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 5

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela