Random video game news... Games are the most elevated form of investigation

MrBrown

10 hours ago, Malcador said:

That pcg reviewer wanted an wh40k rpg made by Bioware, I'd say that calls her perspective into question, and probably should bar her from procreation aswell.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

10 hours ago, Azdeus said:

For what it's worth, practically every update Bethesda releases breaks the script extenders as far as I know. So it's more like business as usual.

I'm utterly unsurprised paid mods are back, but mildly shocked that it'd be with Skyrim and not Starfield. Must not be very many playing that ****.

I'm struggling to think of a game that fell off the face of the world quicker than Starfield. Not joking when I say that I have heard nothing of it a month after release. No memes, no reviews, no overlong videos, nothing.

I guess there's a lesson in not making a $400000000 intentionally boring.

9 hours ago, melkathi said:

My experience with PCG is that they are racist idiots who will nitpick to find fault with any game that isn't made by anglosaxons.

I doubt that'd experience would change from the bit I read. Pretty much mad it's not made by Bioware.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

56 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I'm struggling to think of a game that fell off the face of the world quicker than Starfield. Not joking when I say that I have heard nothing of it a month after release. No memes, no reviews, no overlong videos, nothing.

I guess there's a lesson in not making a $400000000 intentionally boring.

Yeah, it's been pretty dang quiet, only thing I've heard lately was that Starfield devs has been defending the game against meanie steam reviewers. 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

15 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I think I've posted about my reasons in the BG3 thread, so I may not be quite comprehensive here with my issues, but (not in rank-order) ...

Thank you, that was thorough and I appreciate it.

You do indeed make the game sound uninviting, but then I was never going to try it anyway. By the way, I think it's interesting that the writing in WotR can also be quite poor, ridiculous even, but somehow the game still works. It's actually hard to quantify the reasons why. (I played D:OS2 for a little while, and there was nothing inviting in the storytelling, mechanics or the game world, it was just so poor. So, no faith in Larian in the first place...)

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Thank you, that was thorough and I appreciate it.

You do indeed make the game sound uninviting, but then I was never going to try it anyway. By the way, I think it's interesting that the writing in WotR can also be quite poor, ridiculous even, but somehow the game still works. It's actually hard to quantify the reasons why. (I played D:OS2 for a little while, and there was nothing inviting in the storytelling, mechanics or the game world, it was just so poor. So, no faith in Larian in the first place...)

Kanisatha should probably add that she's never played BG3. :p

The storytelling is silly, much like all of Larian's works. So it's safe to say if you didn't like the Divinity games, you won't like BG3. That being said, it is a big step up from D:OS2. What they do well in that game has been put on steroids in BG3. If you enjoy TB combat that uses a ton of environmental effects and a wide range of possibilities, this game is very impressive. It's not JA3, but it's still pretty good at that.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

If you enjoy TB combat that uses a ton of environmental effects and a wide range of possibilities, this game is very impressive.

I detest TB combat to the extent that having to use it for just one single encounter in WotR (it is a requirement in just one room during one quest) was really quite irritating.

I think that even if everything else had been fine in D:OS2, I would have quit just because of the TB approach. And in case you're wondering, that's the game where I got my first taste of TB combat.

43 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Kanisatha should probably add that she's never played BG3. :p

Ahem, I'm a he 😀

But yes, I have not yet played the game. My take on the game is based on having been very active on the Larian forum right from when the game was announced, and reading through all the threads and debating these points there very thoroughly there, and also spending many hours watching streams of the game through its development and since release.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 2

11 hours ago, Azdeus said:

That pcg reviewer wanted an wh40k rpg made by Bioware, I'd say that calls her perspective into question, and probably should bar her from procreation aswell.

It was a guy that wrote that article for PCG 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 minutes ago, Malcador said:

It was a guy that wrote that article for PCG 😛

Didn't bother checking the profile, sounded like a womans name to me

Edited by Azdeus

14 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Ahem, I'm a he 😀

But yes, I have not yet played the game. My take on the game is based on having been very active on the Larian forum right from when the game was announced, and reading through all the threads and debating these points there very thoroughly there, and also spending many hours watching streams of the game through its development and since release.

Its the Internet, do we ever know anyones true   identity :grin:

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dear Hello Games:  try not to make too many promises this time and try not to release it 5+ years too early, k?
Also, what I've read is you "can play alone but they want to encourage multiplayer" -  but they haven't made clear if it's the run past other players all the time MMO style, or "multiplayer" like NMS, where you can turn off MP mode/never have to see other players. I hope it's the latter, otherwise I might have zero interest.

The early announcement trailer certainly looks nice tho. And it's a single planet/world focus this time, but still very sandbox? Dragonflight instead of ships? Edit: also, bunny people?

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 12/7/2023 at 6:17 AM, xzar_monty said:

By the way, I think it's interesting that the writing in WotR can also be quite poor, ridiculous even, but somehow the game still works. It's actually hard to quantify the reasons why. (I played D:OS2 for a little while, and there was nothing inviting in the storytelling, mechanics or the game world, it was just so poor. So, no faith in Larian in the first place...)

WotR very rarely tried to mess with the player* and was generally physically (rebindable controls, pause, etc.) comfortable to play, while the story was stylistically consistent for each Mythic Path and the companions, even of the opposing alignments, were cooperative. Though, I was not particularly fond of the length of a single playthrough, continuous updates (still ongoing, I think?), Season Passes, and especially the attempt to install spyware. Fortunately, GOG allowed to ignore the latter.

*with that backer's turn-based quest, the puzzles, and the conditions to get an extra companion being the exceptions.

Edited by Hawke64
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawke64 said:

WotR very rarely tried to mess with the player* and was generally physically (rebindable controls, pause, etc.) comfortable to play, while the story was stylistically consistent for each Mythic Path and the companions, even of the opposing alignments, were cooperative.

So it seems you're saying that BG3 fails in these things whereas WotR did not. Am I reading you right? (I genuinely don't know, I haven't followed the discussion properly.)

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

So it seems you're saying that BG3 fails in these things whereas WotR did not. Am I reading you right? (I genuinely don't know, I haven't followed the discussion properly.)

Yes. While the controls are rebindable in both, Larian's game tends to reset the custom hot keys, 1-0. Some QoL features might be implemented later (some party management was added recently), I doubt that it will be as good as WotR. The cut-scenes do not work well with the immersive sim elements and the general plot clashes with D&D lore and occasionally BG1/2. Still, the critical path is much shorter than WotR, which encourages replaying it (to test whether the final boss can be defeated while dual-wielding salamis).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Dear Hello Games:  try not to make too many promises this time and try not to release it 5+ years too early, k?
Also, what I've read is you "can play alone but they want to encourage multiplayer" -  but they haven't made clear if it's the run past other players all the time MMO style, or "multiplayer" like NMS, where you can turn off MP mode/never have to see other players. I hope it's the latter, otherwise I might have zero interest.

The early announcement trailer certainly looks nice tho. And it's a single planet/world focus this time, but still very sandbox? Dragonflight instead of ships? Edit: also, bunny people?

Steam blurb says "Carve a life together. Meet players from across the globe, build a life, explore and survive together. Construct persistent buildings and communities, or strike out alone to discover the world for others."

Sure sounds like it's the same world for everyone. Do they realize people will comb through it in a week or two?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Steam blurb says "Carve a life together. Meet players from across the globe, build a life, explore and survive together. Construct persistent buildings and communities, or strike out alone to discover the world for others."

Sure sounds like it's the same world for everyone. Do they realize people will comb through it in a week or two?

Most MMO's or social environment games (well, that I know of) are set on singular planets and no one seems to mind.

But the procedural generation aspect is what has me thinking it's more likely it'll be like NMS method and not MMO - you will start new games, and each start will have a different new RNG generated world map.  So the MP aspect is people inviting (or having a "ppl can join my world setting") folks to their world and playing together on that one specific version until the group is bored and starts over, more like the MP in, say, 7 Days to Die. Just me speculating - or hoping - tho.

Also, if it's anything like NMS, this is going to be a HUGE planet. It's not like Skyrim sizes and prebuild Cities. Like, 20-30 real days to manually run only the diameter of the planet, which isn't including really exploring, just running in a straight line the entire time. I've spent 30 hours on one planet in NMS before and I'm pretty sure I only "saw" maybe 2-5% of it. Edit: and that was with a fast jetpack speed hack. EditEdit: and with some focus on base building, and likely resources everywhere, ppl or small groups are likely to stick to smaller sections most of the time anyway. It's not cosmic joy riding endless universe this time. It wouldn't surprise me if combat was still low focus too.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts