What are you Playing Now? - What doesn't kill you, gives you XP

Having finished my P:WotR run I went back to Solasta. And I finally, after all these years, broke down and registered for a Nexus Mods account so that I could apply the Community Unfinished Business mod to Solasta. I mainly activated three things in the mod, exactly the three biggest gripes I've had with the game: a party of six, multiclassing, and removing attunement. Then I started playing the official user module, Caer Falcarn, that comes with the modding tools DLC. Now Solasta is sooooooo incredibly awesome! I'm so loving the game, and looking forward to playing Palace of Ice and also some of the more popular user modules out there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Having finished my P:WotR run I went back to Solasta. And I finally, after all these years, broke down and registered for a Nexus Mods account so that I could apply the Community Unfinished Business mod to Solasta. I mainly activated three things in the mod, exactly the three biggest gripes I've had with the game: a party of six, multiclassing, and removing attunement. Then I started playing the official user module, Caer Falcarn, that comes with the modding tools DLC. Now Solasta is sooooooo incredibly awesome! I'm so loving the game, and looking forward to playing Palace of Ice and also some of the more popular user modules out there.

Remind me again why you are opposed to using mods? I know you have mentioned it before and I think it was about how you feel the vanilla game should deliver and be perfectly functional without adding 3rd party components?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Finished main story of Shadow Gambit. 

It is another solid real time stealth tactics from Mimimi games. This time around more fantastical setting allowed them to shake up and expand their character roster. Some new enemy types as well, but nothing revolutionary really. As is the studio’s tradition the story, while pretty cliche, is better than one would expect. I didn’t always gel with humour of the sidestories, but it’s been overall a charming adventure. 

What I am less convinced by, is the new structure to the game. Rather than linear set of mission with pre-determined characters - we get multiple larger island, with couple missions in each, and for most missions we can pick our crew (up to 3) and landing/extraction points. It’s fun, and having different crew members does keep things fresh, but between powerful character kits and multiple ways of engagement, the game felt by far like the easiest (and therefore the least interesting to me) from their 3 games.

More disappointingly, the maps didn’t feel particularly distinct - not being able to design level around specific mechanic (footsteps, water, darkness, specific character kit) means even with some unique features all levels played more or less the same. Even, now after just finishing the game I struggle to recall any but two setpiece missions, while I have clear recollection of multiple missions from Shadow Tactics & Deaperados3.

I am also not a fan of locking replaying levels and badges until after one beats the main campaign. I just preferred the pace of previous titles - being able to take one mission at a time and 100% before moving forward. There is a reason for it (some progression will require to access to all of the characters), but I don’t really like it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Remind me again why you are opposed to using mods? I know you have mentioned it before and I think it was about how you feel the vanilla game should deliver and be perfectly functional without adding 3rd party components?

Yes this is one of my main issues, although I wouldn't use the word 'perfect' to describe my expectations for any game. But also, my past experiences with mods were less than satisfactory, where adding the mod to my game was extremely cumbersome and aggravating, and then keeping the mod (and mod manager) updated was additionally aggravating. But here, adding the Unity Mod Manager was quite easy and problem-free, as was adding the UB mod itself. So, fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Yes this is one of my main issues, although I wouldn't use the word 'perfect' to describe my expectations for any game. But also, my past experiences with mods were less than satisfactory, where adding the mod to my game was extremely cumbersome and aggravating, and then keeping the mod (and mod manager) updated was additionally aggravating. But here, adding the Unity Mod Manager was quite easy and problem-free, as was adding the UB mod itself. So, fingers crossed.

There is no going back friend once you see the advantages of meaningful mods , the vicarious thrill of Loverslab awaits  you :dancing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A little bit of STO and not much else.

I abandoned my BG3 game in the first act and haven't felt the desire to get back to it. I want to wait for DLC before doing another Wrath run. I'm also taking a break from JA3 just because I've already beaten it 3 times and am a little burned out.

• Gasp! 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Goal number 8 has been finished :)

One more game gone from backlog. GOG copy of Deep Sky Derelicts: Definitive Edition has been beaten after a little bit more than 40 hours. I had a decent amount of fun during the whole playthrough, but the last three Derelicts and Mothership have been more or less pain in the ass. The random nature of combat due to deckbuilding base of the game has shown some flaws and caused few Game Overs. Including the final bossfight, where I was completely obliterated during the first attempt, and had almost no issues fighting him on second one. I am just glad, that I was not playing on Hardcore, as I would be pretty pissed-off right now 😄 .

• Thanks 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

13 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I abandoned my BG3 game in the first act and haven't felt the desire to get back to it. I want to wait for DLC before doing another Wrath run. I'm also taking a break from JA3 just because I've already beaten it 3 times and am a little burned out.

It sounds like you need to play a reliable and consistent game that wont disappoint, what about Skyrim AE? It has 500 mods included in the game so you dont need to install any mods 

• Haha 4

John Milton 

On 8/30/2023 at 3:01 AM, ShadySands said:

Thirty years on (despite the Matrix page saying released 2000, the original was released by SSI in 1984), I still play this regularly. Very topical these days too

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/war-in-russia-matrix-edition

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

16 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Played an hour or so of starfield.  It's fine so far.  It feels a lot like fallout 4 in space, which should not be surprising I guess.

I get the feeling ill give up on the game about 20 hours in. 

This is pretty much what has happened to me with the 3 Beth. games I bought after Morrowind (Oblivion, Skyrim, FO4). Often not even 20 hours. Which is not to say Morrowind was the beesknees. It was just the first one (and I was a lot younger/less jaded) so I was more open to it, and the Creation Kit was fun.

...I'd still be mildly curious re: how well (or not) I could get it to run on my aging (2080ti/9900k) system tho. I'm guessing 1080p medium with FSR might get me, oh, 50fps!
The game defaulting to FSR on just makes me LOL. Also, at least early on before possible game and driver patches, AMD gpu's definitely seem to have a pretty distinct advantage for this game, perhaps not surprisingly.
...someone has already modded a DLSS function for the game, although it doesn't have built-in sharpening. Some say it's helped tho.
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/196

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Which is not to say Morrowind was the beesknees.

Word 'round the campfire is that it was instead the cat's meow.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

11 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Word 'round the campfire is that it was instead the cat's meow.

morrowind-stripes-the-cat.jpeg

...I do have fond memories of Morrowind. But I think it's mostly nostalgia of a lot of silly hi-jink moments (vs. any story/gameplay, I never came close to finishing the story). I'm pretty confident if I tried to replay it now, I would turn it off after two hours. I'd rather keep the nostalgic memories intact. 😄

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 minutes ago, melkathi said:

You missed nothing story wise. As with any Bethesda game really.

Even for Bethesda the intro to starfield is very bad.  It's cringe dialog and then fast tracking you to get a ship.  It happens in such an insulting way.

Very early spoiler

you are working for a mining company, for some reason you are told to go alone into this stretch of tunnel.  You grab an artifact.  You pass out and have a mass effect flash back. 

When you wake up, they tell you constilation is coming to buy the artifact.  Guy from Constilation gets there.  He had pirates following him.  You help fight the pirates. 

Then constilation guy says "you did a good job, also cuz you touched the artifact you are part of constilation now." 

Then the mining supervisor is like "you can't leave us alone with pirates trying to kill us" 

then constilation guy is like "lol I guess I did cause some of your workers to get murdered, I'll stay back and help.  Hey guy I met a minute ago, you can have my ship."

[/spoilers]

Anyway, hopefully it gets better

• Haha 3

^ I feel like so far early thoughts have been that the large cities and sidequests are nice, even if there are oodles of 1 second loading screens, but anyone hoping for grand planet hopping fun is going to be sorely disappointed.

Edit: also, I can only imagine the performance nightmares of people attempting to use 600 mods on this, in any near future. Maybe 8 years from now..

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

^ I feel like so far early thoughts have been that the large cities and sidequests are nice, even if there are oodles of 1 second loading screens, but anyone hoping for grand planet hopping fun is going to be sorely disappointed.

Edit: also, I can only imagine the performance nightmares of people attempting to use 600 mods on this, in any near future. Maybe 8 years from now..

if the game doesn't launch as performance nightmare it already score by today standard

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

They should at least let you fly from planet to planet inside a solar system. Like Darkstar One.

I'm pretty sure you don't even move. In the sense that you don't get closer or further from planets.  It's basically a static background and then endless room to move. At least, that's how it feels.

People are mad at the IGN 7/10 but honestly that feels fair, so far.

Edited by Theonlygarby