Randommer/Interestinglier/Weirder - now more of everything for the same low price!

Sarex

Wrestling promos?  Ok - THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE!

And who can forget Rowdy Roddy Piper and Buzz Sawyer training to fight...?

• Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I love me some unhinged Roddy Piper... I suppose I could have written just Roddy Piper, unhinged is implied.😆

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have no idea who this "Dan" is they all keep mentioning ( :) ), but great/fun video for VA fans.

• Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Remember old jokes about not opening windows in an airplane?... looks like Boeing 737 MAX is the gift that keeps on giving for Airbus

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67903655

The FAA has grounded the 737 MAX 9 after a window and part of the hull blew out in the air. Time to inspect them again (again again).

This time they got lucky and nobody got killed (even if a child got his shirt sucked off and out the hole in the fuselage.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 4:45 PM, Gorth said:

Remember old jokes about not opening windows in an airplane?... looks like Boeing 737 MAX is the gift that keeps on giving for Airbus

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67903655

The FAA has grounded the 737 MAX 9 after a window and part of the hull blew out in the air. Time to inspect them again (again again).

This time they got lucky and nobody got killed (even if a child got his shirt sucked off and out the hole in the fuselage.

Looks like the Boeing 737 MAX (9 series) isn't flying anywhere anytime soon. At least in the US...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not going to stop until they start putting execs into prison. Otherwise, they'll keep running Boeing shambolically on a pure short term profit basis because there's not enough incentive/ consequences for them not to.

Boeing has the perfect trifecta of prestige/ strategic industry, Too Big to Fail and its competitor not being able to come close to satisfy the whole market's demand (plus only one competitor, no 737 --> A320 monopoly). The wait time for a 737 or A320 is almost identical- 12 years. Shut the 737 down and someone switching to Airbus could expect delivery of their planes in, well, 2044. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

am having brought this up previous, but we did learn an additional fact recent so am reposting

https://constitution.congress.gov/constitution/amendment-13/

Thirteenth Amendment
Section 1
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2
Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

in 1867, recognizing the injustice that idiots and the unlucky, through the graft o' sinister individuals could be convinced to sell their freedom, Congress abolished debt peonage. however, please note the thirteenth amendment allows slavery if it is resulting as a criminal punishment. after the civil war, the US maintained a rather robust system o' debt peonage that were legal not in spite o' the fact it were slavery but rather because it were slavery. serious.  

more than seven decades after the 13th amendment is ratified, when the US entered ww2, fdr realized that his moral high ground as a justification for fighting the evhul fascists was in jeopardy. sure, the japanese and germans were doing unspeakable, but the fact the US maintained chattel slavery was gonna be problematic. so, december 1941, the fed government finally gets around to making US slavery illegal... am thinking it were december 12, but we didn't double-check.

juneteenth celebrates the recognition o' the end o' slavery in texas, but the last chattel slave in texas were freed in late september o' 1942... and the last known US chattel slave (again, am talking about people who were made slaves through legit & legal process, so am not referencing modern slave trade stuff. is also not about illegal chattel slavery conducted by sheriffs in a couple US counties as late as the mid 1980s) didn't gain freedom until 1963

am posting 'cause we always thought it were guy who were released in texas in 1942 who were the last chattel slave freed in the US.

aside, am never having seen the laurence fishburne narrated pbs miniseries am linking. kinda discovered rando when we were looking for a link for slavery v. debt peonage. don't know how we missed.

https://www.pbs.org/video/slavery-another-name-slavery-video/

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

update:

we watched the linked pbs documentary from our most recent post in this thread.

better than fair. well researched. likely surprising to few, am more interested in the economic and legal aspects o' peonage and chattel slavery than the human angle (our subversive crt training showing through?) but in spite o' the lack o' a law focus, the documentary were an informative historical work. didn't feel like an hour and a half neither-- kept our attention throughout.

almost no complaints. was worth viewing.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Female streamers creating content in the Pools, Hot Tubs & Beaches category are more often hypersexualized than those streaming video games.

I am currently looking for funds, I am planning a study to see if water is wet. PM me if you want to contribute, or know someone who wants to.

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

4 hours ago, majestic said:

Female streamers creating content in the Pools, Hot Tubs & Beaches category are more often hypersexualized than those streaming video games.

I am currently looking for funds, I am planning a study to see if water is wet. PM me if you want to contribute, or know someone who wants to.

That's the dumbest **** I've read in ages. Kudos to whoever managed to finagle money out of people to be watching scantily clad ladies, I'm quite jealous.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Note: I'm a product of my time - while I try not to overuse/buy plastic packaged products, will reuse packaged containers, am aware of microplastics etc, it's pretty difficult to avoid as a consumer, and I'm sure I don't do as well as I absolutely could. eg, I'm a part of the problem, as a consumer, no denying. That said, the mantra of "Reduce, Reuse and Recycle" has not taken the "reduce" part to heart at all, especially when it comes to manufacturing. We could go at least go back to glass for a lot of products.

I'm not entirely sure if using more paper - eg, liquid detergent vs. powder packaging - is better or worse (trees, processing process), but I'd guess (?) better at least in terms of overall environmental waste/poisoning. Maybe I'm wrong. But for gosh sakes, does stuff like small wires, cpu's, every beauty product ever need to be surrounded with five+ inches square of plastic, and do we really need plastic container "six packs" of tomatoes etc?

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

qdebawtirnaz.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=

Aged like wine.

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

qdebawtirnaz.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=

Aged like wine.

In Brisbane, the F-18 Super Hornets and C-17 Globemasters still buzz the buildings in the CBD every year during the "River Fire" festival... I never get tired of seeing it up close. Something about seeing those jets at such low altitude cruising through the city (following the path of the river) and then pull up just before the bridge

• Like 1