What You've Done Today - Don't do today, what you can get someone else to do tomorrow

Gorgon

Maui fire. I remember that big Banyan tree.
W. Canada is on fire?
Hurricane/Tropical Storm Hillary (insert political joke here) heading for Baja/S. California?
Solar storm could happen "soon" that could knock out internet and stuff?

Xan - "We're allll doooomed."

Me: But at least I learned my lesson, and if the world "ends", I have plenty of toilet paper.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And now a hurricane on its way to California ? Weird.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Went and had my car inspected yesterday, and it's fine, all is fine. Second to last thing the tech does is some inspections underneath on a lift, when he drops the lift down the last few cms from the floor the lift does a sort of bounce, and my car starts rolling off the lift into the carpark. I managed to slam the open car door closed in the last millisecond, so atleast that didn't get sheared off. The tech forgot to chock the tyres. He drives it up the lift again to make the last check under the hood, all is fine. He jumps into the car again to drive off the lift, turns the key and the starter does two revs before the battery goes flat... Nema problema, he has a booster so we get the car going again and drives off the lift and parks outside. Hands me the key and says that the ABS warning light has come on, tells me that I have a month to fix it.. And has the nerve to ask me for 60$ for the service off nearly ripping my door off. I got a wee bit pissed when he asked for money, though I think the death glare I gave him at that time had him change his mind as he waived the fee the instant after the words had left his mouth.

Spent the day tearing apart the generator, to get a look at the charge regulator and it was definetly worn out. Got a new one and installed it, and now I hope that was the only fault. The generator does look like it has been through 450 000kms. The ABS warning light is still on though, not looking forward to finding what is faulty with that. If it's the abs module itself I'm proper ****ed as a new one is 2000$, or thereabout. If I can find one.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

the ABS warning light has come on, tells me that I have a month to fix it.

You must deadline-fix it? To re-certify to the state/gov/insurance/whatever that your brakes are even working or some such?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

37 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

You must deadline-fix it? To re-certify to the state/gov/insurance/whatever that your brakes are even working or some such?

Standard procedure in (much of) Commie Yurop. If your car has ABS, it needs to work, and you just don't get a certification without it, and without certification you're not allowed to use your car on public roads. We're just anti-freedom like that, cars also need to have working brakes, tyres are held to a certain minimum standard and most states actually insist on you having to go through a lengthy and expensive course to get your license. :yes:

If @Azdeus' actual brakes, not just the ABS, would not have worked, he would never have been allowed to drive home with his car. If you have an inspection and the brakes are found wanting you'll have to get your car towed. Brakes work without ABS though, still some cars without ABS on the market too.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

Shouldn't that be nema problema? :p

It should, but it's close enough. Cases (Padeži) are hard. Even our king doesn't know them.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

@majestic  Yeah, that all makes sense. I just hadn't heard of that before I guess - or per usual these days perhaps I just can't remember I've ever heard of such - hence was curious.

California (I have no clue about other states) has gotten more like that re: smog checks, but there's no required general auto check-up yet.

Edit: minor corrections

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sarex said:

It should, but it's close enough. Cases (Padeži) are hard. Even our king doesn't know them.

People have an awful lot of problems with our four cases, never mind your six. On the other hand, you cheats have no articles, so at least there's that. :p

In the past, whenever I heard that other languages have many more cases, like Japanese (nine) or Finnish (fifteen, if I can recall correctly), I was horrified. That was before I knew that not all languages use complex inflection rules that expand to attached ajectives and articles to indicate case, number and gender. Japanese is particularily easy (warning, bad pun ahead) as you just attach a particle to the noun and be done with it. It becomes merely a matter of knowing when to use which particle.

Which can be a little tricky at times. Japanese's equivalent of the ablative case can be used to describe moving away from a certain point time, or a place, or the origin of a transfer. While you could use the case to describe that a professor gave a lecture, or that a shop opens from 10:00 or that a ship has left the harbour, you cannot use it to say that you left university in the sense of exmatriculating. The ablative, while indicating movement out of a room, only works with physically existing spaces. The particle needed to indicate movement out of metaphorical rooms can also be used to relay the information that someone left a real room. Just as long as that someone is a person.

Still beats declension by a mile. :p

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Yeah, without a completed inspection, not counting the grace period, the car is considered to be out of spec and as such your insurance(Mandatory by the way) isn't valid. Come 17th of September, if I haven't passed inspection the car isn't allowed on the road except to drive it to a garage, junkyard or inspection site.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Standard procedure in (much of) Commie Yurop. If your car has ABS, it needs to work, and you just don't get a certification without it, and without certification you're not allowed to use your car on public roads. We're just anti-freedom like that, cars also need to have working brakes, tyres are held to a certain minimum standard and most states actually insist on you having to go through a lengthy and expensive course to get your license. :yes:

If @Azdeus' actual brakes, not just the ABS, would not have worked, he would never have been allowed to drive home with his car. If you have an inspection and the brakes are found wanting you'll have to get your car towed. Brakes work without ABS though, still some cars without ABS on the market too.

I'm somewhat lucky though, my car is new enough to have an ABS-system, but it's not new enough to be inspected with an OBD2 reader. It's my ABS warning light, the ABS system still works from what I could tell testing it on my gravel roads here.

If it turns out that it's not just a sensor that is misbehaving but the ABS module, I'm just going to wire the dashboard so that the ABS light lights up during checkup so that he'll see the light works and then stays off.

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Same in IL. Depending on the year of your car youll have to pass a basic engine check to get your annual license plate sticker. For that they just connect a computer to your car OBD. Then youre good for a coule of years.

it is the same in CA-- the "basic check" is only involving an emissions test plus a check of computer + hud lights. if your car is old enough and you ain't got a computer to check codes, then the "basic check" is functional non existent.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Makes me miss California and the forested mountain just beyond my backyard.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Benefit of living fairly close to the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains, there's no shortage of awesome hiking trails here.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Makes me miss California and the forested mountain just beyond my backyard.

the last two years haven't been bad for wildfires in norcal. nevertheless, more than a few insurance companies called it quits. if you wanna live in most o' el dorado, placer, nevada or sierra counties, it may be difficult to secure home insurance which isn't cost prohibitive... may be functional impossible for new homes in certain areas, although the fair plan does offer a kinda respite.

our residence is foothills, so the mountains is a short trek removed. is amazing how much difference a fifteen minute drive east on highway 50  makes in terms o' surrounding greenery and decreased summer temps. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

27 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

the last two years haven't been bad for wildfires in norcal. nevertheless, more than a few insurance companies called it quits. if you wanna live in most o' el dorado, placer, nevada or sierra counties, it may be difficult to secure home insurance which isn't cost prohibitive... may be functional impossible for new homes in certain areas, although the fair plan does offer a kinda respite.

our residence is foothills, so the mountains is a short trek removed. is amazing how much difference a fifteen minute drive east on highway 50  makes in terms o' surrounding greenery and decreased summer temps. 

HA! Good Fun!

When we were leaving San Diego back in...I want to say probably 2007, a large section of the county was being evacuated due to fires. It seemed like a huge fire at the time, but I was only in my early teens at the time, so looking back, I'm unsure how big of a deal it actually was relative to what's been going on in recent years. A few years later, we left the state entirely, and I can't say that I miss the constant fires. Love the ocean and the climate (minus any droughts) and the beauty of the state, but I am content with instead being on the shores of one of the Great Lakes instead, particularly as I find the speed of life to be more to my liking than what I experienced in California. But...especially seeing pictures like those, it's hard not to miss it nevertheless.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

23 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

When we were leaving San Diego back in...I want to say probably 2007, a large section of the county was being evacuated due to fires. It seemed like a huge fire at the time, but I was only in my early teens at the time, so looking back, I'm unsure how big of a deal it actually was relative to what's been going on in recent years. A few years later, we left the state entirely, and I can't say that I miss the constant fires. Love the ocean and the climate (minus any droughts) and the beauty of the state, but I am content with instead being on the shores of one of the Great Lakes instead, particularly as I find the speed of life to be more to my liking than what I experienced in California. But...especially seeing pictures like those, it's hard not to miss it nevertheless.

I used to drive to Wisconsin fairly regularly when I drove over the road. It is a fairly flat state. Lake Michigan is lovely, though. Also, cheese curds are awesome.

We're not immune to wild fires where I live, we had a fairly sizeable one 3 or 4 years ago, but it's pretty rare because of the humidity. The flip side of that is that said humidity makes July and August oppressive. 

I'm with you on the speed of life. I used to live in Connecticut and everything up there was go go go and everybody is crammed together and stressed out. It's not quite as laid back here in Cackalacky as it is in the midwest, but it's waaaaaaaay more laid back than Connecticut, that's for damn sure. Much lower cost of living too.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

^ Thanks for clarifications/correction re: car service requirements. I guess I don't remember anything beyond the emissions smog check stuff, since it's rare any issue has cropped up. I inquired of hubby and he said don't cha remember when the smog guy told you the chk engine light (or something) was on and instructed me to start/turn off/drive in some fashion to make it go off to pass, I apparently yapped about it for some time - and I was all ... "Nope, not an inkling of recollection."  So many things falling into the dead zone now.

...well, at least I can still tie my own shoes.  😛

• Haha 1

Puttering away at work, going to have to wrap up shortly to head into the hospital to find out the latest on my father's scans and what the potential palliative chemo options are now.

Might take a full flex afternoon off. 

Also, just had a post delivery.

20230821_113022.jpg

Got sent the anniversary tee by Obsidian because they picked my question.  Nice. :)

• Like 6

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Every news anchor, every article:
"(name) posted on X, formerly known as Twitter."
"on the social media site formally known as Twitter."
"the app formally known as Twitter."

^sorta reminds me of something.

LTU3ODYuanBlZw.jpeg

• Thanks 1

They should drop the "X" entirely and only mention it as "the website formerly known as Twitter".

41 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

They should drop the "X" entirely and only mention it as "the website formerly known as Twitter".

am ok with a single letter designation for the platform formerly known as twitter, but am thinking elon stopped just shy o' the appropriate identifier when progressing through the alphabetic sequence. "Y" would be a spot on name choice for not-twitter.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1