What You've Done Today - Keep Dreaming...

Raithe

Unix time is the only way.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

From some perspectives, we decided to drive on the wrong side of the road, too.

...the US is just a contrary, rebellious teenager. :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

~2/3 world population drives on right side.  for practical reasons, the french switched to the right side o' the road in the late 1700s, which likely doomed any chance the brits would follow suit.  most world holdouts is former brit colonies.  heck, numerous us states were holdouts until the second world war.

am recalling sweden is kinda a funny example 'cause a referendum were held and the people o' sweden overwhelming (90%  or something near) were against switching to the right side, but the government went ahead and made the change anyways. early 1960s?

oversimplification, but am suspecting 'cause o' napoleon and other english issues with the french, brit colonies are stuck enduring an anachronism. petty contrarians. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

16 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

If you are writing it out language arts style, it is going to be February 3rd, 2023. If you are a math nerd, I guess you can put the year first. :p

am unfamiliar with near all tech journal citations or medical, but ap style and harvard bluebook both follow such an ordering, though even those two is different for appropriateness o' month abbreviation as well as setting off the year with commas. it may be difficult to imagine, but you could be deemed to have missed a filing deadline 'cause you failed to put those date commas in the right place. oh, and the california style manual needed be different from harvard until relative recentso for years it were a pain in the arse having to rewrite functional same documents so as to conform to either state or fed style requirements. 

such grammar minutiae is all so unnecessarily arcane. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 hours ago, Gromnir said:

~2/3 world population drives on right side.  for practical reasons, the french switched to the right side o' the road in the late 1700s, which likely doomed any chance the brits would follow suit.  most world holdouts is former brit colonies.  heck, numerous us states were holdouts until the second world war.

am recalling sweden is kinda a funny example 'cause a referendum were held and the people o' sweden overwhelming (90%  or something near) were against switching to the right side, but the government went ahead and made the change anyways. early 1960s?

oversimplification, but am suspecting 'cause o' napoleon and other english issues with the french, brit colonies are stuck enduring an anachronism. petty contrarians. 

HA! Good Fun!

September 3, 1967. People didn't use right hand drive vehicles with the left side traffic so we kept having head-on collisions pretty frequently since most of the road network here was narrow two-lane roads. Since right hand traffic had been on the wall for so long, we kept getting left hand drive cars, since they all knew it was coming. There was actually a committee in the late 20's that determined that we should explore switching to right hand traffic, and we actually planned to do it in the mid-late 30's at first, but something got in the way... We held the referendum in 1955, but it was clearly stated to be advisory, which could explain the low voter turn out of about 50% (Typically we'd see 80% and up voter turn out).

It's part of the reason why seatbelts were introduced here, Vattenfall were building alot of hydro-power in northern Sweden during the 50's and had tonnes of accidents on the dangerous roads, so they hired a couple of engineers that got help from a doctor to develop "Säkerhetsbälte typ vattenfall" started installing them in all their cars in 1956. They later showed this to Volvo that used it as their belt until they developed the 3-point belt. :)

I love me Volvo ❤️

Speaking of which, drove home from work yesterday on black ice. I definetly need new winter tyres, I kept gliding left and right while just going along on a straight road. 😱

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Speaking of which, drove home from work yesterday on black ice. I definetly need new winter tyres, I kept gliding left and right while just going along on a straight road. 😱

Can you use studs on your roads? I use these guys for my tire reviews, they also do youtube videos which are pretty detailed. https://www.tyrereviews.com/

I imagine that this one is for you

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

30 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Can you use studs on your roads? I use these guys for my tire reviews, they also do youtube videos which are pretty detailed. https://www.tyrereviews.com/

I imagine that this one is for you

I typically use studded winter tyres, but I discarded the old set because they were worn out and needed replacing, but then I got put on sick leave and the money one gets from being on sick leave is pretty terrible, and it doesn't help that my workplace ****ed up something/has a ****ed up system, so because I had to wait for a few days to meet the doctor my workplace started paying out my normal salary without me ending my sickleave or being, you know, at work, ended up in me owing my employer ~1000$... So I had to mount the old friction(less) winter tyres.

Aaaanyway, I only buy Nokian studded tyres, they know their stuff. They absolutely suck at the most common winter road type here though, bare ground, but more than make up for it when one hits the black ice.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Unfortunately, yes. Well, if the temperature allows it. Oh, and if they "saw it coming" -.-

Edit; I say unfortunately, because I don't like handing in my car to pay for repairing rust, and recently they changed the salt compound to something that absolutely frigging destroys brakepads. I've had to change pads every year the last couple of years because they've smelted, and it's not from overuse since I'm very adept at planning my driving and engine braking to minimize using them. Because I'm fun like that. 😅

Edited by Azdeus

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

I typically use studded winter tyres, but I discarded the old set because they were worn out and needed replacing, but then I got put on sick leave and the money one gets from being on sick leave is pretty terrible, and it doesn't help that my workplace ****ed up something/has a ****ed up system, so because I had to wait for a few days to meet the doctor my workplace started paying out my normal salary without me ending my sickleave or being, you know, at work, ended up in me owing my employer ~1000$... So I had to mount the old friction(less) winter tyres.

Aaaanyway, I only buy Nokian studded tyres, they know their stuff. They absolutely suck at the most common winter road type here though, bare ground, but more than make up for it when one hits the black ice.

He does include the Nokian studded and the Continental CE Winter tires as a reference in the video I linked. The difference in breaking between studded and non-studded on ice is like 3m which is not small at all.

Here is a studded tire test https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Studded-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Dont you guys salt the roads? It would be absolute pandemonium around here if they didnt.

we lived in chicago and thought winter driving were bad, and it is, but chicago is also preternatural flat. build on a swamp and you are gonna get flat.

at this point in our life is no way we would ever move to pittsburgh or cincinnati.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/steepest-streets-america_n_4871559

two o' those streets is in pittsburgh and during the winter they is covered in ice.

serious, what sorta deathwish must you have to drive in pittsburgh during the winter? population is something north o' 300k, so must be more than a few. downtown winter driving in pittsburgh is not terrible, but anything beyond is gonna unman us.

HA! Good Fun!

11 minutes ago, Sarex said:

He does include the Nokian studded and the Continental CE Winter tires as a reference in the video I linked. The difference in breaking between studded and non-studded on ice is like 3m which is not small at all.

Here is a studded tire test https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Studded-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm

I watched it, I put all my weight on handling on ice since I live on the countryside. We don't have winter maintenance on the road here since it's off the beaten path, one of the neighbours (When the ****wit gets off his fat arse) is supposed to plow the road when we have snowfall, that's it, so we get alot of compacted snow that turns to ice. And I don't have any electronic aids in my car, so if I can get decent grip on snow I'll be fine, but having as much grip as possible on the ice is a must for me or I'll just spin the rear wheels, and then you slowly but surely glide the rear end into the ditch, again 😄

I also buy Nokian tyres because, well, they're Finnish. I'd rather my money go there than overseas. If there was a Swedish tyre maker I'd probably weigh towards those.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I watched it, I put all my weight on handling on ice since I live on the countryside. We don't have winter maintenance on the road here since it's off the beaten path, one of the neighbours (When the ****wit gets off his fat arse) is supposed to plow the road when we have snowfall, that's it, so we get alot of compacted snow that turns to ice. And I don't have any electronic aids in my car, so if I can get decent grip on snow I'll be fine, but having as much grip as possible on the ice is a must for me or I'll just spin the rear wheels, and then you slowly but surely glide the rear end into the ditch, again 😄

I also buy Nokian tyres because, well, they're Finnish. I'd rather my money go there than overseas. If there was a Swedish tyre maker I'd probably weigh towards those.

I get what is best. We have a local brand called Tigar, which is a subsidiary of Micheline now, but they are on the bottom end of the spectrum.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I get what is best. We have a local brand called Tigar, which is a subsidiary of Micheline now, but they are on the bottom end of the spectrum.

Same here, afterall it's the contact point with the road, the cheapest way to avoid expensive repairs or a new vehicle is to have the best tyres you can get. I had to order my summer tyres when I bought them, because noone had the same demands as me when I wanted new tyres, everyone here seems to just buy the cheapest and most comfortable they can get and rely on driving aids more than anything else.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Dont you guys salt the roads? It would be absolute pandemonium around here if they didnt.

Saltwater freezes too. Ever tried running around on top of frozen sea water at the beach? Did that as a kid sometimes. It’s weirdly elastic to walk on compared to fresh water ice. 

tl;dr; salt only lowers the freezing point by seven degrees Celsius or so

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

made lentils. got out our spices, measured and set 'em aside in a small bowl. we fine diced (almost a restaurant fine on the dice) six large onions and three large carrots. decided to resharpen our chef's knife after onion two. we got 'bout a half dozen chef's knives (is kinda a sickness the way we collect kitchen cutlery) and we coulda' used the damascus mac, but our workhorse knife were gonna need be sharpened anyways and we find the exercise o' working a whetstone to be curiously relaxing. no biggie. with an impeccable sharp knife we finished the onion and carrot then transferred diced veggies to a big bowl. last night we had removed six quarts o' our good stock to be defrosted and we checked to make sure it were at least most unfrozen. check. crushed up a couple pounds o' tomatoes by hand in a glass bowl; need non reactive for the tomatoes. we were just about to chop up a bunch o' italian parsley but instead we decided to pick through and rinse our lentils.

thought to our self, "y'know, that container o' lentils looks a bit... light."

already certain we were gonna be short, we decided to get out the kitchen scale and weigh the legumes. yeah, am more than just a tad light on lentils. 

*sigh*

so, is looking like am making a trip to the store. ordinary we would go to corti brothers, 'cause they gots the best stuff, but is a 35-40 minute drive. so local supermarket it will be.

current got rainfall but not particular hard.

yet another logistics fail.

HA! Good Fun!

• Sad 3

My own recording from Friday night... yes, sucky phone quality. But I don't think there was any pro-shot from Friday night to be found anywhere. No, I did not even try to record anything from Phantom of The Opera on the Saturday night, but I'm sure I can find clips on youtube from official sources for that one.

Got back to Brisbane a  few hours ago.

Edit: that last visit she mentions... my friend and I were there too at that concert and expected to them to back soon 😂

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

...think I'll pre-order that Hogwarts game,  but won't download/play it until early reviews/performance assessments.

...hope the release is positive, I could use something to lose myself this month.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Overestimated the clutter I had to remove, managed to find compilers notes from 2005 at least. Suppose I should also junk some textbooks, but just don't have the heart to throw out Sedra-Smith

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Prepping for an offline day of work tomorrow. Hope to get some writing pieces done that are next to impossible to do without carving out time offline

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

21 hours ago, Malcador said:

Overestimated the clutter I had to remove, managed to find compilers notes from 2005 at least. Suppose I should also junk some textbooks, but just don't have the heart to throw out Sedra-Smith

I recently threw out a bunch of books for various discontinued pices of software and operating systems from the early 2000s, and while I know they were practically useless, it still felt wrong to dump them. I kept my BeOS R4 book though. Not that BeOS is going to make a comeback, but it's a fun curiousity, at least. 

Unlike these:

28184160_d379a5d843_b.jpg

:p

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I still also have these technical books I never did read. Should probably read them.  Although I guess a C# 4.0 book isn't all that handy 😛