Random video game news... RNG 4 EVA

Keyrock

12 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Of course Microsoft is planning to make Activision/Blizzard titles exclusive to their ecosystem, they'd be stupid not to. I hate exclusives, I wish every game was available on every platform. However, exclusives sell systems, that's just how it is. Sony knows that better than anyone, that's how they've beaten Microsoft 3 straight generations and counting.

I don't personally care one bit whether this sale goes through or not. I haven't cared about a Blizzard game since Diablo 2 and I haven't cared about an Activision game since... ... ... /scratches head ... Interstate '76(?) I mean, I know CoD is a big deal, but I don't play CoD, nor do I have any plans on starting, so whatever.

Once they have a big enough chunk of the market they may very well start closing off a lot of their ecosystem. Currently a lot of MS owned studios have their games on, say, Steam (cough Obsidian cough). Should they manage to manoeuvre themselves into enough of an anti-competitive advantage (eg. by owning ActiBliz) I'll bet at least new releases won't be, if they don't outright pull everything.

People that claim MS has "changed" compared to "past" MS are deluded, unless they mean that MS has gotten a tad more subtle about some of the anticompetitive bs they pull (most don't mean that though)...

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 4

It's almost as if the goal of a company is to make as much money as possible by any means that won't raise the ire of <name of pertinent governing body>.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

22 minutes ago, majestic said:

Yeah, Microsoft's potential monopoly is bad, they might use their market power to hurt the monopoly I like.

:no:

In case that was aimed at me: quite the stretch if you assume I "like" Steam. It's just a service. I'm still annoyed about the forced Steam on the Orange Box and the resulting death of boxed games. I also buy quite a lot on Gog because I can at least still grab the installers.

That being said, the fact that Valve doesn't really make games any more means that their userbase mostly sticks around because Steam is just a good service, if it weren't Epic, or any number of other would-be competitors, would've eaten their lunch by now.

Pivoting back to Microsoft: a MS monopoly would very likely also massively hurt Linux gaming, which would in turn be a bad thing for general Linux adoption.

In other words a MS gaming monopoly could result in significant fallout in other areas of computing. One would hope regulators would step in before it comes to that, but I have about as much faith in regulators being competent in this area as I have in any multi-billion dollar corporation not screwing over their customers if it means they can make an extra dollar.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At this moment my ire is directed at Steam's new login interface that always defaults the "Remember Me" box every time you open it. 🤬

Finally got around to adding the command-line switch that forces the old UI, but who knows how long that will last.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Just feed off the suffering of gamers.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, marelooke said:

In case that was aimed at me: quite the stretch if you assume I "like" Steam. It's just a service. I'm still annoyed about the forced Steam on the Orange Box and the resulting death of boxed games. I also buy quite a lot on Gog because I can at least still grab the installers.

That being said, the fact that Valve doesn't really make games any more means that their userbase mostly sticks around because Steam is just a good service, if it weren't Epic, or any number of other would-be competitors, would've eaten their lunch by now.

To quote many a redditor and game news site commenter; "I've got way too many games on Steam and I can't be bothered to get another installer" People have way too much of a sunk cost by now for a competitor to really come out.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Still haven't ever played the Bloodborne DLC. Someday, the game will either be on PC or on emulator - I'm willing to wait however long it takes.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I haven't finished the DLC yet, because Orphan of Kos is such a ****ing bitch, and I got really tired of grinding to buy more blood vials, but other than that it's great.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Worst name for a game I've seen since Shallow Space

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 hours ago, Malcador said:

Just feed off the suffering of gamers.

https://www.eurogamer.net/season-passes-the-in-game-shop-the-shared-world-the-big-diablo-4-interview

"Season passes, the in-game shop, the shared world: the big Diablo 4 interview

"It's meant to last a long time.""

Yeah, that says all one needs to hear right there.

Also, **** always online bull****. Atleast they're not making a Conan of it.

Also, som obligatory mismanagement stuff, because ofcourse it was

https://www.eurogamer.net/diablo-4-development-plagued-by-chaos-and-mismanagement-claims-new-report

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Also, **** always online bull****. Atleast they're not making a Conan of it.

It's always online because it's an MMO. You might as well criticize WoW for being always online.

It's the main reasons I'm probably not playing it, but it's not like they set out to make a single player game in the first place.

Yeah, I do remember always thinking that the atmosphere of Diablo II would be so much more engaging if I could just spend a little more money on it, maybe buy a few skins and have the starting camp be full with idiots jumping about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Yeah, I do remember always thinking that the atmosphere of Diablo II would be so much more engaging if I could just spend a little more money on it, maybe buy a few skins and have the starting camp be full with idiots jumping about.

Agreed. I remember playing my Necromancer and thinking D2 is okay but it's missing something. If only I could fork over some of my hard earned money to put a Santa hat on my Necromancer. 

• Haha 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

6 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Agreed. I remember playing my Necromancer and thinking D2 is okay but it's missing something. If only I could fork over some of my hard earned money to put a Santa hat on my Necromancer. 

Oh, I remember feeling that my barbarian would have so much more character if I could just like buy a pet, a unicorn maybe? That'd be pretty fly with a darth vader mask

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I'd be willing to pay extra to have the pet constantly spew particle effects.

Oh, you don't have to worry about that, they were in the free* battlepass!

*if you pay for it

• Gasp! 1