Music: Sharing and Listening - The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between

xzar_monty

15 hours ago, Gromnir said:

rathergood has variations we has posted a few times over the years

I originally wanted to post this because YouTube suggested it for rather obvious reasons:

Like a minute into this travesty I realized that the "animations" of the video reminded me of Joel Veitch's work, so I just went ahead and listened to some rathergood...ness. :yes:

15 hours ago, Gromnir said:

viking kittens is probable the best known, but...

Best known and no longer available for licencing reasons, apparently. Sure still is on YouTube, just not from rathergood.

I realized my taste in music has changed from the days where this animation was new. I used to listen to Immigrant Song on repeat, but now? Yeah, nope. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Apparently, all the images here are AI-generated for a film that doesn't exist - though some influences are pretty obvious.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

Being a fairly capable drummer myself, I have a soft spot for drum cam videos. I think this one is delightful. The singer is no Dio, of course, and the general sound quality could be better, but Vinny Appice does a great job on the kit. Such joy!

Have you ever seen the drumcam of Tomas Haake performing Meshuggah - Bleed? It's nuts.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

41 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Have you ever seen the drumcam of Tomas Haake performing Meshuggah - Bleed? It's nuts.

Not sure about that specific drumcam, but I have seen him perform, for sure. He is brilliant indeed. I don't dig the music all that much, but he is brilliant.

Are you aware of Kai Hahto's work in Rotten Sound? I couldn't care less about the music itself, but the drumming is sensationally precise, fast and imaginative.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

Not sure about that specific drumcam, but I have seen him perform, for sure. He is brilliant indeed. I don't dig the music all that much, but he is brilliant.

Are you aware of Kai Hahto's work in Rotten Sound? I couldn't care less about the music itself, but the drumming is sensationally precise, fast and imaginative.

Haha, yeah, I remember checking it out when I heard he was to replace Jukka Nevalainen in Nightwish and thinking "man, he's going to be bored" seeing some of his stuff from Wintersun and Rotten Sound 😂

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Some recent Nanowar of Steel 😁

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

our current favorite russian girl... woman. 

if you got time, her tiny desk performance is worth a view.

and a fiona apple tune

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 2/5/2023 at 9:49 PM, Azdeus said:

Haha, yeah, I remember checking it out when I heard he was to replace Jukka Nevalainen in Nightwish and thinking "man, he's going to be bored" seeing some of his stuff from Wintersun and Rotten Sound 😂

Nightwish's current lineup is a curiosity for me insofar as it contains two artists that, due to their ability, make seasoned professionals at their respective crafts look like mere amateurs next to them: Kai Hato and Floor Jansen. Yet, here I sit, in the subjective way we all experience art, still wishing Tarja would come back, and I just cannot help myself, while Kai Hato's drumming is of a technical precision that is almost unmatched, Jukka's drumming was just more powerful.

I think I said it before, I love Floor Jansen as an artist, but she just isn't what made me originally fall in love with Nightwish*. Alas. It is probably for the better, as that puts me in a position where I do not have to struggle with myself over essentially giving money to a group whose dealings with their vocalists have been, let's be nice, less than ideal. Firing Tarja with an open letter after the last concert of a tour and with no prior notice was already shabby, but throwing out Anette Olzon over feinting while pregnant is Elon Musk level low**. Sorry. Man, posting this I'll have the Nightwish fanboys come at me with pitchforks wherever I go.

Speaking of Floor Jansen...

*I even liked Anette more than Floor as Nightwish's lead vocalist.

**I get it from a business point of view, that NA tour was important for the group. Guess that explains why I'm not a businessman, or the manager type. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

At this point I lost all hope in the group and have accepted that nothing is going to sound like the original lineup. Although from what I heard Tarja was no saint herself, but for Anette there is no excuse... I'm sad that I only ever heard Nightwish live with Anette, but on the other hand that concert was very good too.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

35 minutes ago, majestic said:

Firing Tarja with an open letter after the last concert of a tour and with no prior notice was already shabby

The open letter does appear overly dramatic, but I have no doubt that the firing itself, without prior notice, was warranted. I am willing to reconsider if enough evidence to the contrary comes to light. (Not a fan of the band as such, although I think Ghost Love Score is a nice enough song, especially when sung by Floor Jansen.)

• Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

The open letter does appear overly dramatic, but I have no doubt that the firing itself, without prior notice, was warranted. I am willing to reconsider if enough evidence to the contrary comes to light. (Not a fan of the band as such, although I think Ghost Love Score is a nice enough song, especially when sung by Floor Jansen.)

Ah, yes, I was being unclear here: the "without prior notice" part was not meant in the legal sense, i.e. firing an employee immediately due to egregious misconduct, but the way it was delivered, on stage, right after the final performance of the tour. That is a point in time picked precisely for one thing, to hurt as much as possible. It was payback - for slights perceived or real, well, that is something else, but you'll get no argument from me that Tarja most likely had it coming, but I did and do think that the public spectacle the firing became was unbecoming and unprofessional of the group.

How they dealt with Anette later just compounded that impression.

1 minute ago, Sarex said:

At this point I lost all hope in the group and have accepted that nothing is going to sound like the original lineup. Although from what I heard Tarja was no saint herself, but for Anette there is no excuse... I'm sad that I only ever heard Nightwish live with Anette, but on the other hand that concert was very good too.

No, that is probably right, there has to be a reason why the rest of the group basically made it about "remove Tarja or we'll leave", but regardless, that is not a reason to do this in such an unprofessional manner, and from what I have read over the years, she wanted to pursue other interests and would have left anyway. It logically followed with the rumor mill endlessly churning on about how Tuomas fired her over unrequited love. Not that I doubt that he was actually in love with Tarja, as Ever Dream is as good a love letter to Tarja as any, but the firing was certainly not over that.

Anyway, that Tarja did not really want to be a part of the group any more was fairly evident for me in two things, first, I watched the End of Innocence documentary, which contained a lot of rather subtle clues about what she was thinking at the time, and second her attitude at the concert I was back in 2004, where we actually managed to stumble upon the group after the concert on their way to the tour bus. Sure, it was a long day as there were ridiculous promotional events all day long prior to the concert (at which she appeared to not really want to be there, basically half-assing her performance for much of the show), but the guys were not bothered by being asked for another round of autographs, and even agreed to taking some pictures. Tarja? Rolled her eyes, scoffed, and ran off.

Okay, I get it, that is exactly the reaction I would have had if that happened to me after a hard day's work, but still, short of directly stating it, it's hard to telegraph "I do not want to be here" any clearer, and if that attitude translated into her behaviour on the tour, which is undoubtedly has, then it is no wonder that she was removed from the group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, majestic said:

Nightwish's current lineup is a curiosity for me insofar as it contains two artists that, due to their ability, make seasoned professionals at their respective crafts look like mere amateurs next to them: Kai Hato and Floor Jansen. Yet, here I sit, in the subjective way we all experience art, still wishing Tarja would come back, and I just cannot help myself, while Kai Hato's drumming is of a technical precision that is almost unmatched, Jukka's drumming was just more powerful.

I think I said it before, I love Floor Jansen as an artist, but she just isn't what made me originally fall in love with Nightwish*. Alas. It is probably for the better, as that puts me in a position where I do not have to struggle with myself over essentially giving money to a group whose dealings with their vocalists have been, let's be nice, less than ideal. Firing Tarja with an open letter after the last concert of a tour and with no prior notice was already shabby, but throwing out Anette Olzon over feinting while pregnant is Elon Musk level low**. Sorry. Man, posting this I'll have the Nightwish fanboys come at me with pitchforks wherever I go.

Speaking of Floor Jansen...

*I even liked Anette more than Floor as Nightwish's lead vocalist.

**I get it from a business point of view, that NA tour was important for the group. Guess that explains why I'm not a businessman, or the manager type. :p

I miss the Tarja era aswell, her style really stood out, and she was good at it. Shes also my favourite because she is one of the reasons that I listen to metal, I doubt I'd have liked it if I hadn't heard Nightwish in the beginning. I really like the music they've done with Floor aswell, her blend of singing styles is really great to my ears. I doubt you'd get much disagreement with them treating their singers badly, but mein got im himmel, Anette over Floor? That's worse than ketchup on pancakes 😄

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Ah, yes, I was being unclear here: the "without prior notice" part was not meant in the legal sense, i.e. firing an employee immediately due to egregious misconduct, but the way it was delivered, on stage, right after the final performance of the tour. That is a point in time picked precisely for one thing, to hurt as much as possible. It was payback - for slights perceived or real, well, that is something else, but you'll get no argument from me that Tarja most likely had it coming, but I did and do think that the public spectacle the firing became was unbecoming and unprofessional of the group.

How they dealt with Anette later just compounded that impression.

No, that is probably right, there has to be a reason why the rest of the group basically made it about "remove Tarja or we'll leave", but regardless, that is not a reason to do this in such an unprofessional manner, and from what I have read over the years, she wanted to pursue other interests and would have left anyway. It logically followed with the rumor mill endlessly churning on about how Tuomas fired her over unrequited love. Not that I doubt that he was actually in love with Tarja, as Ever Dream is as good a love letter to Tarja as any, but the firing was certainly not over that.

Anyway, that Tarja did not really want to be a part of the group any more was fairly evident for me in two things, first, I watched the End of Innocence documentary, which contained a lot of rather subtle clues about what she was thinking at the time, and second her attitude at the concert I was back in 2004, where we actually managed to stumble upon the group after the concert on their way to the tour bus. Sure, it was a long day as there were ridiculous promotional events all day long prior to the concert (at which she appeared to not really want to be there, basically half-assing her performance for much of the show), but the guys were not bothered by being asked for another round of autographs, and even agreed to taking some pictures. Tarja? Rolled her eyes, scoffed, and ran off.

Okay, I get it, that is exactly the reaction I would have had if that happened to me after a hard day's work, but still, short of directly stating it, it's hard to telegraph "I do not want to be here" any clearer, and if that attitude translated into her behaviour on the tour, which is undoubtedly has, then it is no wonder that she was removed from the group.

Atleast the drama around Tarja leaving did give us "The Poet and the Pendulum", which is a great piece.

8 hours ago, bugarup said:

Why ya'll yakking in music thread without posting any music. :down:

It's the "silence between" :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/9/2023 at 1:29 PM, majestic said:

second her attitude at the concert I was back in 2004, where we actually managed to stumble upon the group after the concert on their way to the tour bus. Sure, it was a long day as there were ridiculous promotional events all day long prior to the concert (at which she appeared to not really want to be there, basically half-assing her performance for much of the show), but the guys were not bothered by being asked for another round of autographs, and even agreed to taking some pictures. Tarja? Rolled her eyes, scoffed, and ran off.

This is a question of culture and, as it seems to me, a question of age as well.

I understand what you're saying, but the underlying premise there is that you think you have a right to expect service from your rock stars, which is preposterous. It is true that there is a culture of asking for and giving autographs, etc., but it's not reasonable to take it as a given. Björk, for example, never gives autographs. I have worked in journalism long enough and met enough celebrities to recognize that the best way to show your respect to someone you admire is to leave them alone; they really appreciate that.

I wouldn't read anything into how someone responds to a request for an autograph, and I'd never ask for one myself. However, and quite apart from that, Tarja's behaviour in the band really did warrant a sudden sacking, as far as I know, and tensions were probably running high.

And in the spirit of the thread, here's an excellent song on this very topic:

5 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

This is a question of culture and, as it seems to me, a question of age as well.

I understand what you're saying, but the underlying premise there is that you think you have a right to expect service from your rock stars, which is preposterous. It is true that there is a culture of asking for and giving autographs, etc., but it's not reasonable to take it as a given. Björk, for example, never gives autographs. I have worked in journalism long enough and met enough celebrities to recognize that the best way to show your respect to someone you admire is to leave them alone; they really appreciate that.

I neither took a picture, nor asked for an extra autograph, and would not have even if I had not gotten one through the promotional event prior to the concert (which I also did not want to attend, but was forced to by the group I was with). I used to have a three hour public commute for five years during high school, a time that taught me the value of being left in peace. I specifically said I understood her reaction, however, it was the manner in which it was delivered that I thought made it relevant to the discussion at hand - which was Tarja's behaviour in Nightwish. She was not just unhappy about having a small group of random fans accidentially stumble upon them on their way to the bus, it was also a reaction to Tuomas' decision to give "us" the time of day.

As far as I recall, the others (Jukka, Marco) did not either, it was just him. They left too, just with no clear show of disdain. It is, however, entirely possible that there is a cultural difference at work here, admittedly, I have but a passing familiarity of Finnish culture, and that is barely more than a collection of stereotypes. It might not really be relevant, but it is how I read the situation back then - and presumably still would today, although I can't say for sure. It has been 18 and a half years, after all.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

She was not just unhappy about having a small group of random fans accidentially stumble upon them on their way to the bus, it was also a reaction to Tuomas' decision to give "us" the time of day.

Ok. You didn't say this last part in your previous comment, so that changes things a bit, right? Anyway, I'm sure tensions were high in the group, and I can see how one of them might have overreacted to essentially anything.

I don't think there's much of a cultural difference at work here, although I can't be sure, of course. I wasn't there.

I think Tarja's sacking is a good example of both sides being true: she really deserved to be sacked, but the manner of the sacking really was unprofessional. A pity, really, that.

• Like 1