Music: Sharing and Listening - The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between

xzar_monty

@bugarup, the words "Finnish Tango" immediately made me think of this. In the 1970s, Frank Zappa and his band decided to have a go at a classic Finnish tango in Helsinki. Obviously they jammed on it quite a bit. The funny bit is the singing: obviously Napoleon Murphy Brock, the vocalist, has no idea of Finnish pronunciation; it actually takes some effort to recognize that he is singing the right lyrics (presumably from the sheet music, I can't imagine he'd have memorized them). The result is an absolute treasure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

am understanding there were controversy related to the super bowl and the music selections.

*eye roll*

am thinking until the current stoopid which is the gop war on crt, immigrants and woke ends with a symbolic viking funeral, the nba, nfl, nhl and mlb should all agree to pause the performance o' the US national anthem and instead do homage to a prince anthem

would be worth it just to hear how ted cruz would respond.

'course us military advertising dollars is an obvious obstacle. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps prince remains our undisputed best ever artist for super bowl performances.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 2/13/2023 at 3:39 AM, Gromnir said:

am understanding there were controversy related to the super bowl and the music selections.

I actually watched all of this year's half-time show - it's the first time I've sat through an entire one. Normally, I bow out after maybe 30 seconds, but this year's was such a hilariously awful clown show right off the bat that I started cackling immediately before the soul-crushing cringe could even set in. I don't think anything or anyone that might appear in the Super Bowl half-time show could ever interest me musically, so I guess the best chance to make me stay is to try to induce scornful laughter. A real bang-up job this year, I'd say.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

She has an illness now which has made her effectively mute.  Cruel hand to be dealt.

• Sad 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Here's a band that was momentarily big in the 1980s and then essentially disappeared, as far as the general public is concerned. They're still going, but I don't think they've been going strong since about 1988. Anyway, this song is an absolute treasure, in terms of somewhat sentimental romance as a topic. The lyrics are just wonderful. I think the line "I saw teenage girls like gaudy moths, a classroom's shabby butterflies..." is superb in the way it defines both moths and butterflies in the exacpt opposite way of what you'd normally expect -- but it fits wonderfully, because these are the girls that dress up for the night and then sleep in the classroom.

The drum track is a wonderful exercise in dynamic control and subtlety; I've played it on and off for years, and it never gets old. The guitar solo is also great. This would be a nice karaoke song except for the fact that some of the notes towards the end can be tricky. I can't do them, for sure.

Goes well with mushroom clouds

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

As I am back to Civ 4.

• Like 2

Edited by Bartimaeus

Soca, Trinidad's cruelest invention :lol:

• Haha 1

once a year.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

18 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

I think I can one-up that, believe it or not. Surely you know this?

Kung Fury is absolutely glorious, and that includes the soundtrack. There could not be a better title track for Kung Fury than True Survivor.

Still, there's always the option of making a cheesy power metal cover of the cheesy 80ies revival Hoff track:

;)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

am trying not to read too much into the fact am liking 'cause it gets unexpected dark and cringy.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Did somebody say Russian singers?... no, I don't like their music particularly much to be honest, but I remember them because they were one of the first Russian "celebrities" to have a falling out with Putin in public. I think the "conservative" (i.e. way backwards) factions in Russia very much resented the two girls being lovers, LGBT being an occasional de facto death sentence in Russian society then and now.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein