What are you Playing Now? Who needs a life anyway?...

uuuhhii

Speaking of fun little roguelike games, it's a bit older but Enter the Gungeon is pretty fun. Silly gun-based humor and good for a quick paced round of action or two. The perspective took me a long while to get used to, so take care if that sort of thing bothers you.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 4/10/2022 at 1:02 AM, uuuhhii said:

rpg move on from single save slot for decades for good reason

it only worsen the problem with those vague and long npc quest line that could result in their death

how could anyone figure out anything without a wiki

We called hint lines and paid someone to tell us what to do.... (I was too young so I suppose I shouldn't say we. Get stuck and permanently frustrated is more likely what I did)

I finished the Pigman story. I did a whole lot more murderin' with him than I did with Jane. I got a legendary revolver and from that point on I was an unstoppable killing machine. I'll probably take a break from Weird West for a bit. I need to get back to Elex 2, though I also want to play something that's not a RPG, perhaps a point n click.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธRFK Jr 2024๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Because I'm not home right now, I started playing some original Splinter Cell again. Man did the controls age bad. It feels very clunky and unprecise, and I didn't remember it like that at all. So weird, because I played the game a lot back in the days.

After that I've booted up Chaos Theory. This one looks and feel a lot better, but still has the clunky controls. Especially grabbing enemy soldiers is still very hit and miss. You either do it right from the correct angle, or it won't work. And if the enemy sees or hears you, there is no melee to take them down last-second. Visually it still looks pretty nice, though. Will try to play it some more.

What's weird is that even though the sequels were received really well, they all sold less than the very first game. Considering this, I now understand why the mechanics got so streamlined and stuff in later titles ... it just really didn't help the game and I guess people were kinda tired of it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

you should be playing Mechwarrior with us!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Some more thoughts on Weird West now that I've done 2 out of 5 stories:

Of the previous Raphael Colantonio games, this most reminds me of Arx Fatalis. I'm not sure why, there is definitely Dishonored and Prey DNA in the game, but I rarely get reminded of those games while I play it, meanwhile I'm reminded of Arx Fatalis somewhat frequently. It might just be that it's rough around the edges like Arx Fatalis, while Dishonored was polished and Prey was really polished, too polished, if that's possible.

The rest of my thoughts are theories about the overarching story, hence I will spoiler tag them.

ย 

Essex Mast is a reoccurring character that has some knowledge of what is going on, but he's not one of the Travellers, unless he's testing me and pretending to not be part of the group. I have, so far, been cooperative with him every time, and I will probably continue to do so. It's possible that the Aleph he is looking for is me, the figure in the chair getting a brand shoved in their face. This can go many different ways; he can wind up killing me and becoming immortal, he can wind up taking my place in the chair, I could be wrong about all of this and something completely different happens.ย 

Essex Mast is the wild card in this and I want the wild card played. Ultimately, I want maximum chaos at the end. I want a bunch of dead bodies in the room with 5 portraits, even if that includes my own. It may take multiple playthroughs to achieve that. I'll have a better idea of what is going on and how to manipulate things once I get to the end.

ย 

Edited by Keyrock

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Darkside Detective sequel starts off strong, the first case was pretty involved - multiple locations and all, I expect it's downhill from here in that aspect.ย  Humour is on the same level as the first game so that's good.ย 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just now, Totally not Gorgon said:

I was gifted a game on steam. It's called furry cyber******

I have no words.ย 

if the mission was to have my friends list see "Gorgon is currently playingย furry cyber****** " that's mission accomplished, and well played.ย 

ย 

ย 

Good thing you're not Gorgon.

• Haha 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm playing Chinatown Detective Agency. I had never heard of this game before but I was in the mood for a point n click and this serendipitously popped up on Game Pass. The game plays like something halfway between Beneath a Steel Sky andย Where in ****** is Carmen Sandiego?ย You are sometimes required to figure things out outside of the game, either from your own knowledge of history, geography, folklore, et cetera, or via Alt-Tabbing to a browser, using your phone, or whatever method of information gathering via internet. I mean, you could probably also phone a friend or go to the library, but the internet will likely be faster. Point is, you do detective work outside the game from clues found within the game.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

On 4/11/2022 at 2:04 AM, sorophx said:

ย 

someone here compared it to Conan Exiles, it actually feels very similar in terms of how the world is designed, although technicallyย  ER is vastly superior. it also reminds me of Final Fantasy for some reason. I've been told by the people that own a Switch, that ER is basically a Zelda game, but I'll have to take their word for it.

and just to clarify, the only two games from this company I played in the past were Bloodborne and Sekiro, and I hated both. Bloodborne due to terrible controls, Sekiro due to terrible vertical level design. Elden Ring on PC fixes most of these issues for me (although, the combat in Sekiro is superior in my opinion, would love to have that as an option in ER).

ย 

ย 

On level design there is a catacomb dungeon under the capital a friend and I were crawling around in that does gaslight the player, as there is an identical corridor to one the player went through earlier with another flame-spewing trap at the end, and a room with a layout and textures identical to the boss rooms of other dungeons of the type is found in between those corridors but merely holds two normal enemies. Makes me shudder to think what a tabletop RPG campaign being DMed by Miyazaki for his friends must be like.ย 

• Haha 3
โ€œPolitical philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.โ€
ย 
-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

ย 

I installed "Tunic" through gamepass - your ususal indie Zelda "inspired" with a touch of DarkSouls top down action metroidvania thingy.

First impressions didn't thrill me - combat is just servicable, and game offers little direction (sort of - on that later). I got really annoyed when I read a sign, only to be greeted with made up alphabet. That made up alphabet also greets you in inventory, item descriptions etc. Pretencious right?

Well, actually not. The guadance and tutorialization of that game is pretty unique - you can find individual manual pages in the world (like actual old-school manual). Those will include map areas (sometimes with what looks like penciled in notes), objective lists, and explanation of controls and individual mechanics, story summary. Those are also mostly written in made up gibbrish with occasional english words - plus hefty amount of pretty illustrations and button promts. I suspect that devs played original Zelda in Japanese and wanted to translate the experience of figuring things out through limited information. It really works. Everyonce I find myself stumped, only to study manual pages I found for a bit, only to figure out a new mechanic, or path I didn't notice before.ย 

• Like 2

Started Solasta: Lost Valley.

With the classic team of half-elf Paladin, half-orc Rogue, and two half-orc Barbarians.

Seems decent so far. One place had a big performance hit due to some graphics, not sure which, and one minor quest bugged out somehow, but mostly it's been good.

Also seems like the warnings of "you can choose this skill/language for your character, but it's not used in Crown of the Magister" really do apply only to Crown of the Magister, and not to Lost Valley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Also seems like the warnings of "you can choose this skill/language for your character, but it's not used in Crown of the Magister" really do apply only to Crown of the Magister, and not to Lost Valley.

Does it? Some say "aren't used in Crown of the Magister, but are used in Lost Valley".

I'm going to take a break from Chinatown Detective Agency, or as I like to call it Where in Singapore is Carmen Sandiego? It's a fun game and I kind of like having to break out a piece of paper and a pen to figure out a cipher or my phone to do some research. This will surely alienate some players, but I grew up on drawing maps on graph paper for dungeon crawlers, so this is old hat. The game has some bugs, though. There are some major sound balancing issues and other minor annoyances. I'll wait for a patch and go back to Elex 2 in the meantime.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Does it? Some say "aren't used in Crown of the Magister, but are used in Lost Valley".

Yeah in the log for the patch that came with the DLC release they say several things that were not available in the OC have now been added to the game. But apparently not retro'd to the OC.

https://forums.solasta-game.com/forum/lost-valley-full-patch-notes

New Diablo3 season started recently. Normally don't care but eh, why not. Once 70 (doesn't take too long) and a bit of gear/crafting mats. the Greater Rift grinding starts.

Still playing it because it's easy to do a bit a day and the PS4 is simpler to turn on/off at a whim.ย  But now that I'm mostly set-up, maybe it's time for that Death Stranding dlc now.

• Like 1
โ€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.โ€ โ€“ Alan Watts

heh, Diablo 2 season starting soon - much more interesting to me xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

22 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

heh, Diablo 2 season starting soon - much more interesting to me xD

PS4 does have a console version of the redo of D2, with, importantly, offline singleplay, but I played that game for four years and thousands and thousands of hours and don't think I could do it again. The reskins/QoL features seem nice but ... no, I don't think I could.ย  :)

When the articles said Diablo4, even on Playstation/console, will require an "online service/account" to even play single-player (like the PC versions do), I knew I wasn't even going to try D4 even just to laugh/complain at it. ๐Ÿ˜

Edited by LadyCrimson
โ€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.โ€ โ€“ Alan Watts