Ukraine conflict - im Westen nichts Neues

Elerond

4 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

I agree with long term consequences of weaponizing SWIFT.  Not sure yet on the scope, but it will lead to the power of countires which are large holders of resources, labor and manufacturing. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/jamie-dimon-warns-swift-sanctions-may-bring-unintended-consequences-can-be-circumvented

I thought you were going to stop using zerohedge as your reason for predictions after they have been so wrong ?

Their is nothing wrong with the SWIFT system and it wont become weaponized so no need to be concerned. The primary reason it is so effective is because it is used by choice by the majority of banks globally and it works , no one  is forcing any bank to use it so you welcome to create your system and try to convince other banks to use it?

Also these Russian sanctions have really become so damaging to Putin because the US has slapped Dollar related sanctions on the various Russian banks meaning they cant trade in the $. This is not the same as SWIFT  sanctions 

And this works because the $ is the worlds reserve currency and very stable 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex-currencies/092316/how-us-dollar-became-worlds-reserve-currency.asp

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

56 minutes ago, Katphood said:

@Lexx

Yeah, it ain't Putin alone but he sure does get all the credit.

One thing that bothers me with this war though: the west and the EU get a very undeserved boost from Russias defeat. They created this mess in the first place...as always, like, for the nth f-ing time...

Im a little confused, who are you saying created this mess ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

34 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Remember that some of our forum friends have always thought of Putin and Russia as an  alternative to  the current Western "hegemony " so the reality of how he  is acting  now is disappointing  and shatters that narrative 

Other than oby, who are you talking about ?

This convoy keeps getting longer and longer, 17 mi now over 40 mi.  

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

49 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Yup. All those Ukrainians dying are saving NATO's sorry ass. Ukraine is paying the ultimate price so that the West can relearn these lessons from history yet again.

I wish Putin knew this. Ukrainians and Russians are brothers. They are slavs. Great people. Hope they can all live in peace someday.

• Like 2

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

9 minutes ago, Malcador said:

This convoy keeps getting longer and longer, 17 mi now over 40 mi.  

I was going to give you examples by  comments I have read over the last 12 years but I would rather not because it may offend people and thats not my intention 

I dont put you in that group but their is general sentiment where some constantly refer to the US as "warmongers " but handwave the same thing done by Russia. So for me its about consistency with outrage and criticism 

John Milton 

44 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Poor old Lord of Flies, subsumed wholesale in the collective consciousness of the Obisidian Forums and replaced by a pale imitation. Am I the only one to keep the flame of memory burning?

(fricken oby posted 'virile russian men in front of hot MiG' to the sexy men thread and the whole thing was ruined permanently because they were toting decidedly non virile Swiss SIGs instead of AKs/ Grozas/ Vintorez or something suitably appealing. LoF never would have made such a mistake, never)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Poor old Lord of Flies, subsumed wholesale in the collective consciousness of the Obisidian Forums and replaced by a pale imitation. Am I the only one to keep the flame of memory burning?

(fricken oby posted 'virile russian men in front of hot MiG' to the sexy men thread and the whole thing was ruined permanently because they were toting decidedly non virile Swiss SIGs instead of AKs/ Grozas/ Vintorez or something suitably appealing. LoF never would have made such a mistake, never)

Oby had some genius and hilarious comments 

Remember his " purebred  WASP tribes living in mountains in Russia " :grin:

John Milton 

in somewhat related news, Russian official media and its watchdog forbids to use word "war" when talking about Russia's invasion in Ukraine, insisting the correct term is "special operation". Russian denizens of the 'net discuss merits of Lev Tolstoy's famous novel "Special operation and peace" and argue which part of "Star special operations" saga is the best. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, bugarup said:

in somewhat related news, Russian official media and its watchdog forbids to use word "war" when talking about Russia's invasion in Ukraine, insisting the correct term is "special operation". Russian denizens of the 'net discuss merits of Lev Tolstoy's famous novel "Special operation and peace" and argue which part of "Star special operations" saga is the best. 

Oh thats normal for the Russian media which is almost all aligned to the propaganda machinery of the state, I think their is only one independent media house left in Russia

But the gaslighting catches up to the Russian apologists and  spin-doctors. Yesterday on a SA talk show  the Russian ambassador  to SA came on the show to " give the Russian perspective ". And he stated its " not a war or an invasion, its  a special  operation " or something similar

But then 2 minutes later when he was being questioned he  said " this war is not  the fault of Russia " 

The talk show host asked him " oh so it is a war " ??

The ambassador responded " are you a lawyer " :grin:

" Oh what  a tangled web we weave when we seek to deceive " 

• Like 1

John Milton 

1 hour ago, pmp10 said:

Some 70 combat aircrafts are to be transferred to Ukraine.
That's crazy, do they even have pilots for them let alone intact airfields?

You don't necessary need airfields, fighter jets are capable to take off from 200m-300m long straight road and they don't need much more to land.

Road fueling and rearming is basic training in Finnish airforce, because expectation is that enemy is capable to destroy our airfields. I don't know what kind training they have done in Ukraine's airforce, but I would except that have trained towards situation where they lose access to their airfields

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I thought you were going to stop using zerohedge as your reason for predictions after they have been so wrong ?

Their is nothing wrong with the SWIFT system and it wont become weaponized so no need to be concerned. The primary reason it is so effective is because it is used by choice by the majority of banks globally and it works , no one  is forcing any bank to use it so you welcome to create your system and try to convince other banks to use it?

Also these Russian sanctions have really become so damaging to Putin because the US has slapped Dollar related sanctions on the various Russian banks meaning they cant trade in the $. This is not the same as SWIFT  sanctions 

And this works because the $ is the worlds reserve currency and very stable 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex-currencies/092316/how-us-dollar-became-worlds-reserve-currency.asp

Did you actually read and listen to these guys like Jamie Dimon or Zoltan Pozsar at Bloomberg segments? Or it's just being asinine and ignorant to risks a form of virtue? 

Will Russians suffer? Yes. 

Will the drop be significant? Yes. 

Will they collapse and revolt? Unlikely. 

Does this event strip a lot of 'neutral' institutions and states of their perceived neutrality status? Yes

Does it pave way for other, non-west aligned solutions, cartels and economic unions? Most likely

Does it endanger the dollar dominance short term? No

Does it endanger the dollar dominance mid to long term? You betcha! 

Western countries are Net Importers of almost everything, from resources to labor and manufacturing. We are good at exporting capital and pollution. Doesn't really build confidence in economic capability in case of major conflict and blockades, does it? 

Imagine a Pan-Asian union using Chinese CIPS in 5-10years, and payments for Oil, Gas and Gold in CIPS be Yuan denominated. What do you think will happen? 

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Hmmm 1

23 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

assinanie

That's some quality English.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Seems there are more instances of looting, however not sure to what extent and if it's true that in some areas looters are ought to be shot on site by militia members or soldiers. 

One thing as someone observed:

"" "" 

Something perhaps worth noting for some is the fact that as the nation crumbles amid the invasion, the looting only appears to be at supermarkets - with people truly in desperate need of bread and milk - and oddly not big-screen televisions, Louis Vuitton purses, and PlayStations...

Belorussians are on the move

2 hours ago, Elerond said:

You don't necessary need airfields, fighter jets are capable to take off from 200m-300m long straight road and they don't need much more to land.

Road fueling and rearming is basic training in Finnish airforce, because expectation is that enemy is capable to destroy our airfields. I don't know what kind training they have done in Ukraine's airforce, but I would except that have trained towards situation where they lose access to their airfields

Okay, but you'd still at least want radar for command and control and I assume that is largely gone now.
Then again, maybe NATO would provide that as part of intelligence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darkpriest said:

Wheat is at the highest price ever registered, closing in on a 1000 USD (i believe the unit is 5 000 bushels) 

There's rumors that russia is or was destroying fields on purpose. Not sure how much truth is in it, though.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Darkpriest said:

Fixed spelling. TY, I would have never thought, I could have made an error while using a phone! 

Dont worry, English isnt your first language. Look at my grammar...I have no excuse

Thats why @majestic is helping me, you can ask him :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

John Milton 

46 minutes ago, Lexx said:

There's rumors that russia is or was destroying fields on purpose. Not sure how much truth is in it, though.

I'd put it as a rumor to make them look much worse. Some still have some first hand stories of the great hunger. 

However, fields are large areas of flat land, and military hardware will not really look, where they go through when operating, hence a lot of collateral damage is expected. 

Edit:

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/breadbasket-world-choked-russian-invasion-wheat-prices-soar

Edited by Darkpriest

10 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Dont worry, English isnt your first language. Look at my grammar...I have no excuse

Thats why @majestic is helping me, you can ask him :p

I'm just an amateur dabbling in 言語, really, but it's best to be prepared, right? :p

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I'm just an amateur dabbling in 言語, really, but it's best to be prepared, right? :p

輝かしい日本語!
Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP