What are you Playing Now? No really, tell us more...

Wormerine

Oh my god Celeron, kill it with fire

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Finished Forged Alliance with all 3 factions on Hard. AI sucks but I'll still act as if this means I am competent at the game. 

Darkside Detective is next on list, seems ok, humour is passable, although the puzzles in the first case are barely worthy of term

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

You made one post for each faction you finished the game with?

Clicked Submit Reply and the proxy here did it's usual periodic seizure I think. Wonder why we can't delete our own posts.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

14 hours ago, kanisatha said:

No, my gaming machine is a desktop, one of Dell's Alienware series with a 24" 4K display. By 'miscalculate' I meant I'm wondering if I should've gone ahead and increased my RAM even though I anticipate buying a new machine in a couple of years.

I also have a laptop provided to me by my employer, but that is not at all suited for gaming. :)  And my employer being the state, they actually spy on us through the computer!!

The 980 sits between the 3GB 1060 and the 6GB 1060 so you're actually above the minimum specs and you'll be fine there. You'll be fine RAM-wise too, the requirements are for total system RAM, not free RAM. The average gaming machine built today even in the $1500-2000ish range still only goes with 16GB. Besides, upgrading now would be very questionable because the current generation is the last one that will use DDR4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

57 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

The 980 sits between the 3GB 1060 and the 6GB 1060 so you're actually above the minimum specs and you'll be fine there. You'll be fine RAM-wise too, the requirements are for total system RAM, not free RAM. The average gaming machine built today even in the $1500-2000ish range still only goes with 16GB. Besides, upgrading now would be very questionable because the current generation is the last one that will use DDR4.

Interesting post, thanks for sharing 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Stuck near the end of Disciples: Liberation, my love interest just turned into a zombie ... I am on the fence if I like the game, I put in a lot of hours, but I think mostly to see how the story ends, not much in terms of game play and difficulty ... it feels like a turn-based Diablo 3 ... not the Diablo people play to build characters and finish difficult levels in a certain amount of time, just straight run around and mash-buttons until everything is quiet Diablo and you open a chest.

• Like 2

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

10 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Thanks!! Very useful. Even though I personally am not very computer-savvy, as an academic I know how to research something and I did my research on this very issue and found pretty much what you say here. That's exactly why, even though I bought my current machine in 2015, I'm waiting on the next one because I want next-gen everything. :)

On 2/21/2022 at 10:24 AM, BruceVC said:

Yes I would upgrade because memory isnt a huge cost compared to a video card or motherboard and it makes a significant performance difference if your PC is highly utilized 

I am not sure how familiar you are with Windows performance metrics but an easy way to monitor performance is  run all your apps and games together and then right click the Task Bar at the bottom and go to Task Manager when the menu pops up

Go to the Performance Tab and you will see all your main hardware measurements like disk, memory, CPU and other things. From that you can determine if you have a hardware bottleneck and what needs to be upgraded. I have included my work laptop in the image below and from this  you can see I would benefit from both a memory and CPU upgrade but the laptop is for work purposes so I dont need to 

Capture.GIF

Yup, this I know. Just only running system processes and security/protection processes, I'm at about 4% of my CPU and about 27% of my RAM usage.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, melkathi said:

I think when they made the forum they misunderstood the "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" line. What happens on the Obsidian forum stays on the Obsidian forum...

Them making a game featuring New Vegas now makes so much more sense...

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

7 hours ago, bringingyouthefuture said:

Stuck near the end of Disciples: Liberation, my love interest just turned into a zombie ... I am on the fence if I like the game, I put in a lot of hours, but I think mostly to see how the story ends, not much in terms of game play and difficulty ... it feels like a turn-based Diablo 3 ... not the Diablo people play to build characters and finish difficult levels in a certain amount of time, just straight run around and mash-buttons until everything is quiet Diablo and you open a chest.

Thanks for this review. If you have the time and are so inclined, I'd love even more detailed thoughts you have on the game. It is one of the games in my Steam wishlist but I am very skeptical about it. Seems to me like it would a game I would play just once and then never touch it again. So I want to know if I would at least get my money's worth for playing it once.

GTA V - I had originally thought about starting a new game of Cyberpunk, since they had patched it recently. But then I started thinking about games that have done a better job of fully realizing a city, and realized I never finished GTA V. So now I'm rolling around Los Santos.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

GTA V - I had originally thought about starting a new game of Cyberpunk, since they had patched it recently. But then I started thinking about games that have done a better job of fully realizing a city, and realized I never finished GTA V. So now I'm rolling around Los Santos.

Nice one....Im surprised you would enjoy GTA V? Its an excellent game, have you been to any strip clubs or picked up any hookers and you MUST go on a random killing spree or  drive a car at high speed into pedestrians. It was one of my guilty pleasures. Also you can escape the police easily even on Wanted Level 5 by using a motorbike and escaping  into the train underground system :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I completed NWN EE and all the expansions last night and HotU was the most entertaining and fun

My wizard got to level 25 and I got access to Epic spells which made a huge difference in battles where I could summon the Dragon Knight and Mummy Dust, it was very rewarding seeing my dragon destroy monsters. Exploring the Underdark and Undermountain was great and I enjoyed my sojourn in the Nine Hells and Carnia

I defeated Mephistopheles by learning his true name so I avoided that epic battle and I banished him back to Carnia

Oh and I Romanced and forgave the beautiful Aribeth....sure she betrayed Neverwinter and contributed towards the death of thousands but we all make mistakes. And I made sure she didnt align with Mephistopheles at the end 

This game and its expansions  gets a 70/100 on the " BruceVC game rating system " so its globally recommended 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 3

John Milton 

"Oh and I Romanced and forgave the beautiful Aribeth....sure she betrayed Neverwinter and contributed towards the death of thousands but we all make mistakes. And I made sure she didnt align with Mephistopheles at the end"

Cmosffr.gif

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Darkside Detective is ok, glad I didn't pay full price for it though. I did enjoy the "Police Corruption" setting in the Options menu.

Edited by Malcador

After more Lilim kills than I can count, probably over 100, I finally got a Dark Armor drop in Circle of the Moon. On the bright side, I went up 11 levels in the process. Anyway, now that I have one of the 3 top-tier armors in the game, it's time to kill Dracula.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm still playing Solasta, and it's proven much better than I had expected. This is the most fun I've had with a video RPG since P:K. Hopefully they do some follow-up games using the same engine.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

On 2/22/2022 at 8:02 AM, kanisatha said:

Thanks for this review. If you have the time and are so inclined, I'd love even more detailed thoughts you have on the game. It is one of the games in my Steam wishlist but I am very skeptical about it. Seems to me like it would a game I would play just once and then never touch it again. So I want to know if I would at least get my money's worth for playing it once.

It all depends on what type of challenge you want from the game.  If you want challenging combat, unsolved mysteries, in-depth character building, strategic planning and expansive exploration in immersive beautiful environments - then you might sit in front of your computer everyday wondering why you are still playing this game after Act 1 because it doesn't get very deep in terms of the above.

I haven't explored much character building and synergy with units and equipment, but it seems not to matter much unless you want to take on enemies 10 levels higher than you, which in each map there seems to be 1 or 2 of these harder encounters (I am playing the game on Brutal now so I avoid these for the most part) but playing on hard I did them constantly with very little challenge.

Combat is limited by the map and environments mostly as you can only do so much within a fixed area they create, but also from the limited abilities available per turn.  The other issue combat is super repetitive. 

I feel its strongest point is the number of choices you make as the story progresses, I can't speak how much they effect the world around you but as far as I can tell there is definitely consequences, for instance I think I killed of a whole map by turning them into zombies, though I doubt I will play through again to figure out if I can save them.  Also I like that I made some bad choices early on in terms of building alliances and hamstrung myself a little, I feel like any good game doesn't pull punches in terms of this so while it is frustrating I appreciate them not hand holding.  There is also the ability to go evil in the game, but again I am only on one playthrough so not sure it is a very rewarding evil (also I don't often take the evil path and didn't in this game, but the world is full of demons and undead and you can join them, plus some of the NPCs are clearly evil).

The story itself is Good vs Evil stuff and what happens to everyone caught in between, but there is some good twists, and I do find myself wanting to finish the tale.  Writing is passable, kind of tongue in cheek and pithy, and I don't feel necessarily attached to any of the characters, but there is some fun in the writing, some drama and sadness etc, etc it covers all the bases though if you like reading (btw I recently read Patrick Ruthfus' The Name Of The Wind and then Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora I highly recommend them) you will definitely be able to point out where it is lacking.

Honest I am on the fence for recommending the game, I keep playing it, but if you want a simple game to waste some time its not bad ... I read it described as a mobile game and I think it would play very good on an tablet while on the plane or in the car, or if you are at work and it is slow ;)  I don't know ... hope this helps!!  If you have any specifics you are curious about let me know!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

9 hours ago, HoonDing said:

"Oh and I Romanced and forgave the beautiful Aribeth....sure she betrayed Neverwinter and contributed towards the death of thousands but we all make mistakes. And I made sure she didnt align with  Mephistopheles  at the end"

?Cmosffr.gif

Im confused by your point? Aribeth betrays Neverwinter in the OC and you fight Mephistopheles in HoTu which is an expansion 

John Milton 

I started playing The Forest  last night and Im really enjoying it, I am not experienced in survival games but this is great

I dont like the Save system where you can only save in some places like your camp but I may look for a Mod to address this ....but then I think " doesnt that defeat the point of the survival game ethos if you can save anywhere and ruin the excitement " ?

John Milton 

New WoW patch was out, so went back to do that.  New zone is pretty enough, is the usual grind though but is gated weekly so that does help a bit. Wish I spec'd DPS though.

11 hours ago, rjshae said:

I'm still playing Solasta, and it's proven much better than I had expected. This is the most fun I've had with a video RPG since P:K. Hopefully they do some follow-up games using the same engine.

The next DLC they are currently working on is a new campaign for Solasta. I enjoyed my time with the game a lot as well. Looking forward to jumping back in. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wormerine said:

The next DLC they are currently working on is a new campaign for Solasta. I enjoyed my time with the game a lot as well. Looking forward to jumping back in. 

Heh you beat me to it. Was gonna' say this. And from their early January stream, the DLC is coming in "a few months."

Looks like their approach to this game will be to release new standalone campaigns for the game as DLCs every so many months. Sounds really good to me, as my only major complaint about the base game so far is that it is too short/would've liked more places and content to explore.

• Like 1