What are you Playing Now? No really, tell us more...

Wormerine

7 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Still waiting for reviews to make sure that nothing got botched, but yes, I plan to jump in on day1. It should be interesting - never played FromSoftware game before it was figured out completely.

You must share your experiences, I plan as usual to wait a few months before playing Elden Ring

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

God of War made me crave for some good spectical fighters. I gave DMC5 another playthrough to refresh mechanics, before continuing my work on S ranks on higher difficulties, but once I started to feel resistance I got distracted... again. 

I finally played through DMC reboot - which wasn't awful. Gameplay doesn't have a depth and potential of originals, but it is still fun. Story is a bigger problem. The punk Dante is insufferable at the start. It's not that originals had "better" story, but I found myself not caring for the original cast, while disliking nearly everyone in the reboot. One playthrough was enough, I don't expect to ever return to that game, but I don't regret my time spent with it.

Reinstalled Bayonetta after a long while, and after playing DMC5 I don't have as high opinion of it as I used to - story is abysmal. I need to at least to know why I am fighting and for what, and Bayo story is an incoherent mess. I also dispise insta kill quick-time events and other non-combat encounters. I hate that the game hides encounters for the players and then punishes them during ranking for not doing those. Combat is still great though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

You must share your experiences, I plan as usual to wait a few months before playing Elden Ring

I just saw the minimum system requirements for Elden Ring. I have a pretty decent gaming desktop and yet I don't meet even those minimums. 😞

Might be the case with other AAA games coming up as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I picked up Solaris and I'm enjoying it thus far. There's a bit of a learning curve since I never played 5e before. The one oddity is that cleric spell preparation is handicapped by whether you have a free hand available at the time. There's no way to correct that unless you remember before long resting.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

50 minutes ago, rjshae said:

I picked up Solaris and I'm enjoying it thus far. There's a bit of a learning curve since I never played 5e before. The one oddity is that cleric spell preparation is handicapped by whether you have a free hand available at the time. There's no way to correct that unless you remember before long resting.

Go into gameplay settings and turn off somatic components for spells. Yeah that is a huge pain, especially if your cleric is a shieldbearer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

I just saw the minimum system requirements for Elden Ring. I have a pretty decent gaming desktop and yet I don't meet even those minimums. 😞

Might be the case with other AAA games coming up as well.

https://www.pcgamer.com/elden-ring-system-requirements/

After reading your warning I checked the link above and read the minimum  memory as 128GB instead of 12GB ....I nearly fainted because I before I moved to Cpt in 2019 I upgraded my gaming machine and I have 64GB

But my initial shock was real :grin:

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Elden Ring does look pretty awesome but I'll probably have to hold off for a while.

Stupid real life priorities you know (I hate real life).

And yes!  Beware of Paradox games!  I remember playing Victoria 2 constantly just to try to build forts on every U.S. state.  Would like to play as China an another playthrough and stop the Century of Humiliation.

Also @BruceVC Hearts of Iron 3 playing as South Africa and building TONS of high quality infantry divisions, sailing them over to Sicily and beating the crap out of the entire Wehrmacht as the bad AI kept sending their divisions across the Mediterranean to be destroyed piecemeal.

• Like 1

Playing the '71 Oakland A's in OOTP 22. The big difference is I signed Jonny Bench as a rookie in the '67 season so no Dave Duncan. So far in 12 years of playing OOTP I have yet to win a WS. And, much like the real '71 A's it looks like I'm going to have to beat the Orioles to have a shot at it. 

Also OOTP 23 will be announced next week it looks like. They are getting my $35 no doubt about it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

23 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

The ladies look hideous in ELEX 2. Guess I'll stick with Caja then and hope magic isn't useless as in ELEX 1.

Thats one of the few legitimate issues I had with ELEX 1, the Romance options were not very compelling....all the women looked the same and Nasty had  a dirty mouth which I found very unappealing

Whats so hard about creating attractive women like in Bioware games ?

John Milton 

Elex 2's system requirements are really oddly put together.

Do you actually need a RDNA AMD card in the 1070Ti class when a 1060 will do on the nVidia side? Why is a 2070 class 5700XT the rec for AMD but a 2060 on the nVidia side? You might explain the latter with dlss, but the 1060 doesn't have that- but it does have a garbage cut down 3GB version which is even worse comparatively, and they don't specify the 6GB version. Why specify a 9500F processor as a rec spec? It performs identically to a 9500 non F as the only difference is the presence/ absence of an irrelevant iGPU.

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

After reading your warning I checked the link above and read the minimum  memory as 128GB instead of 12GB ....I nearly fainted because I before I moved to Cpt in 2019 I upgraded my gaming machine and I have 64GB

Well, my machine has an i7-5930, 16 GB RAM, and the GTX980 card. The videocard is clearly below their min specs. But I also worry about the RAM because I'm not sure I could free up 75% of my RAM for a game.

Last year I thought about expanding the RAM, which seems to be the only component I can upgrade. But then I thought the machine is about 7 years old now, and prolly should be replaced in another year or two, so why bother upping the RAM. Did I miscalculate?

With those system requirements, I wonder if the game is simply not optimized well. From the visuals at least the game to me didn't look much different than their last title -- kinda doubt the open world would cause that much strain.

• Hmmm 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

9 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Well, my machine has an i7-5930, 16 GB RAM, and the GTX980 card. The videocard is clearly below their min specs. But I also worry about the RAM because I'm not sure I could free up 75% of my RAM for a game.

Last year I thought about expanding the RAM, which seems to be the only component I can upgrade. But then I thought the machine is about 7 years old now, and prolly should be replaced in another year or two, so why bother upping the RAM. Did I miscalculate?

I am not sure if you did miscalculate, in what way do you think you miscalculated because you have done very well to have the same laptop for 7 years 

I have  a laptop but its for work purposes and owned and payed for by the company and we not suppose to load games on it. Generally in SA company owned laptops gets replaced every 4 years or so and you return the older one 

So I have always had a dedicated PC for gaming and personal activities but I only upgrade it every 5-6 years due to the cost 

John Milton 

You guys wont believe this but one of the Codex members who is also an ELEX fan had a raffle for a free copy of ELEX 2 and I said I want to participate because obviously I love  PB games. About 30 people also entered and guess what ....I won 

So I am getting a copy of  ELEX 2 :dancing:

• Like 6

John Milton 

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

Congratulations!

That's the sci-fi Gothic spin off game, right?

I wouldnt frame it as a spin off of the Gothic series but an evolution. PB took everything they learnt from the Risen and Gothic series and used that prodigious knowledge to create the ELEX franchise

And its more  a hybrid of fantasy and sci-fi 🥂

John Milton 

I am not sure if you did miscalculate, in what way do you think you miscalculated because you have done very well to have the same laptop for 7 years 

I have  a laptop but its for work purposes and owned and payed for by the company and we not suppose to load games on it. Generally in SA company owned laptops gets replaced every 4 years or so and you return the older one 

So I have always had a dedicated PC for gaming and personal activities but I only upgrade it every 5-6 years due to the cost 

No, my gaming machine is a desktop, one of Dell's Alienware series with a 24" 4K display. By 'miscalculate' I meant I'm wondering if I should've gone ahead and increased my RAM even though I anticipate buying a new machine in a couple of years.

I also have a laptop provided to me by my employer, but that is not at all suited for gaming. :)  And my employer being the state, they actually spy on us through the computer!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

No, my gaming machine is a desktop, one of Dell's Alienware series with a 24" 4K display. By 'miscalculate' I meant I'm wondering if I should've gone ahead and increased my RAM even though I anticipate buying a new machine in a couple of years.

I also have a laptop provided to me by my employer, but that is not at all suited for gaming. :)  And my employer being the state, they actually spy on us through the computer!!

Yes I would upgrade because memory isnt a huge cost compared to a video card or motherboard and it makes a significant performance difference if your PC is highly utilized 

I am not sure how familiar you are with Windows performance metrics but an easy way to monitor performance is  run all your apps and games together and then right click the Task Bar at the bottom and go to Task Manager when the menu pops up

Go to the Performance Tab and you will see all your main hardware measurements like disk, memory, CPU and other things. From that you can determine if you have a hardware bottleneck and what needs to be upgraded. I have included my work laptop in the image below and from this  you can see I would benefit from both a memory and CPU upgrade but the laptop is for work purposes so I dont need to 

Capture.GIF

• Thanks 1

John Milton