Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

not wanting to make this a ukraine thing. am more surprised by how our opinion o' arnold has changed in recent years... or at least improved a bit. is a whole lotta reasons not to like arnold. given his treatment o' women, to a few curious political stances, the terminator did not have our support save on a few issues. even so, whether is covid, january 6 or present events, arnold has spoken up against wrongs, wrongs which in the past woulda' been universal derided by those in his party. from our pov, old arnold speaking truth to power, no longer body builder arnold or conan arnold, is looking better than ever... though am still not good with the sexual misconduct stuff. no free passes.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

He was my governor for some years, and the impression I always got from him was that...he was kind of all over the place? Definitely not just your average party hack - there was stuff he clearly deeply cared about and would reach across party lines for to try to make progress on, and stuff he changed his mind on that didn't fit with the rest of his party as his tenure continued. His administration was pretty terrible for the economy IIRC, though...and there was the matter of his, erm, "indiscretions".

...Was it just me that was inordinately bothered by the multiple camera angles cutting back and forth like it was on a timer in this video?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

No, it wasn't just you. I'll never understand why they use these cuts.

I know it shouldn't really matter for an attempt at a heartfelt message (assuming that's actually the idea and it's not really a deliberate attempt at psyops...note the keyword "deliberate" before any of y'all start @ing me), but it gives the message such a...phony manufactured feel to the entire video the moment I noticed it, which was roughly the second time it happened...and then it kept happening, repeatedly. I know you're not as young and beautiful as you used to be, but really, it's O.K. to just have the camera be on your face the entire time when delivering this kind of message.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

16 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I know it shouldn't really matter for an attempt at a heartfelt message (assuming that's actually the idea and it's not really a deliberate attempt at psyops...note the keyword "deliberate" before any of y'all start @ing me), but it gives the message such a...phony manufactured feel to the entire video the moment I noticed it, which was roughly the second time it happened...and then it kept happening, repeatedly. I know you're not as young and beautiful as you used to be, but really, it's O.K. to just have the camera be on your face the entire time when delivering this kind of message.

That is right, it would have worked better with the camera on his face all the time.

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

...Was it just me that was inordinately bothered by the multiple camera angles cutting back and forth like it was on a timer in this video?

didn't bother us much. am getting how with a long speech where you is trying for heartfelt, you don't wanna look like a politician... evoke comparisons to biden or putin.  perhaps went too far trying to avoid a static shot? wasn't all that distracting for us personal, but am getting it.

admitted our biggest problem with arnold is how he managed to get elected before the whole #metoo movement and has thus avoided much o' the taint which went with all the accusations. to his credit, mr. schwarzenegger apologized regarding his behaviours in general, even if he didn't admit to specific acts o' indiscretion. hardly makes him okie dokie in our book.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@Bartimeus How can it not be a deliberate psyop ? 😛

Edited by Malcador
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

is cute, but am gonna admit how the last time we were in a room full o' kindergarten kids, the thought which were resounding most powerful for us is that kindergarten teachers is not paid enough, and we don't know how much they is paid, but it cannot be enuff.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

Wonder how deviants will find a way to ruin this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

is cute, but am gonna admit how the last time we were in a room full o' kindergarten kids, the thought which were resounding most powerful for us is that kindergarten teachers is not paid enough, and we don't know how much they is paid, but it cannot be enuff.

HA! Good Fun!

A friend of mine is currently going through university to get a payraise, he works alot with kindergarten kids, and is spending much of his days game mastering different adventures for them. The kids love it, and are immensly well behaved to get invited to his sessions. 🤣

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Finding the most boring person in the world

The most boring person in the world has been discovered by University of Essex research—and it is a religious data entry worker, who likes watching TV, and lives in a town. The peer-reviewed study into the science of boredom has uncovered the jobs, characteristics, and hobbies that are considered a stereotypical snooze. After examining more than 500 people across five experiments researchers found the blandest jobs are seen as data analysis, accounting, cleaning and banking. The paper—published in the Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin—also discovered that religion, watching TV, bird watching, and smoking were amongst the dullest hobbies. Boring people were also perceived to shun large settlements to live in small cities and towns.

This masterwork deserves an Ig Noble award.

• Gasp! 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The typos and overlapping text aside, is an interesting presentation. good use of HOI music

• Like 4

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just some interesting comparisons and world maps... numbers are from late last year though, but still indicative of the world situation i think...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

https://ianbetteridge.com/2022/04/02/time-lies/

This kind of attitude is only possible if you either didn’t live through “the good old days” or now have lost your marbles. I was born and grew up in a council house. It wasn’t a bad area when I was growing up, it was definitely rough round the edges. When I did my CSE social studies and went on a court trip, it wasn’t that surprising that one of our neighbours was up for soliciting. But it was classic working class – as in, most people were working, because jobs existed. Thatcher changed that, but I digress.

When the houses were built, they were new and shiny and everyone wanted to be in them. They were replacements, further out of town, for the slums in the west end of Derby. And those were proper slums: back to back terraces in awful conditions built in the 18th/19th century where disease was rife, plumbing was non-existent, and there was a pub on every corner. When Marx and Engels wrote about the condition of the English working class, they could have been writing about Derby’s west end.

The estate I was born on though was new, and offered a huge upgrade in living standards. There was running water in every house. Actual plumbing. A bath! Three separate bedrooms, a living room and kitchen. A front garden for roses, and a back garden to grow your vegetables. Compared to where my father had grown up, this was luxury. But: there was no central heating. No double glazing, and no insulation to speak of. There was a coal fire in the living room, and the family spent all their time there. There was a toilet – but it was outside, built into the house in a weird arrangement which meant you had to leave the house by the back door and go back in to the toilet. For the first ten years of my life, the toilet was outside, and you get used to checking if the water is frozen before you do a poo. The cold is still something I can feel. All I have to do is close my eyes and that cold comes back.

It was better than working class people had before. But compared to today? It was ****. Anyone who reminisces about then as “the good old days” is deluding themselves. Today I sit in a nice house with double glazing and if I want a pee, I can do it in comfort and warmth. I’m not huddled around a fire on freezing mornings trying desperately to get warm, because the blankets – no duvets – never kept you warm enough at night.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

7 hours ago, Amentep said:

gonna admit we were slight disappointed prince were wearing a blue jacket and hat in the video. 

edit: prince did wear a blue jacket during arguable his most iconic performance

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir