Random video game news

Amentep

7 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I really don't care for yongyeahs videos, I don't like how he reads every single line in quotes and whatnot, and I can read ten times faster than he reads, but this intro was worth it.

And for those of you who are like me;

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-29-ea-to-appeal-5m-dutch-fifa-loot-boxes-fine

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-29-ea-fined-10m-over-loot-boxes-as-dutch-court-sides-with-gambling-authority

Man I love, that they appealed 5million fine and got 10 instead 😄

• Haha 4

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

17 hours ago, melkathi said:

edit:

They also added Photo Mode in hopes of getting Bokishi and LadyCrimson to play.

Wutwut?  *google*

Hmm...these days I typically don't have patience for micro-managing RTS armies or the politiking aspects if any (even tho I do like the genre). But I watched a video of a couple battles and ... yeah, I can see the appeal there.  Maybe at some point.  :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

You can set your own lense flare :)

Total War: JJ Abrams edition?   :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

There are Half Life 3 level of expectations from this game right now, they must be feeling the pressure.

Definetly, the hype was insane for CP2077. The reddit forums has calmed down a bit though, but it's gone from HYYYPE, to bitter memes now. I miss all the fanart. :(

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

19 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Cool.  I get to be the one skeptic for this game so all that's left is to be pleasantly surprised rather than bitterly disappointed.

It's going to be a great game I reckon. It's not going to be a Fallout though.

Then again, my definition of RPG is much stricter and narrower than 99.869% of other users, I think there's only one person on these forums that would agree with me. I don't view it as an RPG, I view it as an FP action adventure with some RPG mechanics, atleast until I see proof positive of the opposite.

Edit; Actually, @Gizmo might not be the same person that I spoke with back on the Bethesda boards right before Fallout 3 was released, where we pretty much agreed about player/character separation and were disagreed with by just about everyone..

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

14 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

I think most people would agree with that.

If you want a Omg REAL RPG, stick with pen and paper, I imagine.  You simply have to give and take in the digital realm.

Fallout 1 & 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldurs Gate games, PoE, Pathfinder Kingmaker. These are a few choices from the top of my head that do well.

Bloodlines is the only FPS RPG that I can think of that was somewhat satisfactory with the player/character separation.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Fallout 1 & 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldurs Gate games, PoE, Pathfinder Kingmaker. These are a few choices from the top of my head that do well.

Bloodlines is the only FPS RPG that I can think of that was somewhat satisfactory with the player/character separation.

I would rather play PnP OR a mixed element video game than play any of these. 

It's really difficult to recreate a good PnP campaign in video game form. I can't speak for other people's PnP experiences, but what was the crux of my most memorable PnP sessions wasn't the combat, it was the interactions between the PCs and/or the NPCs; the camaraderie, the bickering, backstabbing. Combat was a thing that happened, and it was exciting at times, but it was the other stuff between the combat that I remember most fondly. By necessity, most video game RPG adaptations are combat-heavy, WAAAAAAY more combat-heavy than most PnP sessions I've had, because it's one of the simplest "exciting" things you can implement in a video game. Outside of combat; the banter, decision making, exploration, etc. it's so unpredictable as to what may happen with players. In a PnP session a good GM can adapt on the fly, improvise, take the unexpected and find ways to further and/or enhance the story. Video games can't do that. A good video game designer can predict a handful of reactions, but not nearly all the different ways players may want to take things; even if he/she could, you can't program for all different possibilities, that would be madness. By their very nature, video games are always going to be way more restrictive than PnP, simply because the human GM has been taken out of the equation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Failed skill rolls are usually the best catalysts for the most interesting sessions really, or just people desperately trying to avoid certain skill checks.

And yes, it is really difficult, bar a massive improvement in AI that is likely never going to happen. Doesn't mean that one shouldn't try to come as close as can be realistically done in a game though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

Then again, my definition of RPG is much stricter and narrower than 99.869% of other users, I think there's only one person on these forums that would agree with me. I don't view it as an RPG, I view it as an FP action adventure with some RPG mechanics, atleast until I see proof positive of the opposite.

According to Steam and user-tags, 75%** of all games ever made are RPG's.

** number pulled out of my arse, but it sure feels that way sometimes

• Haha 6
  • Hmmm 1

27 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

According to Steam and user-tags, 75%** of all games ever made are RPG's.

** number pulled out of my arse, but it sure feels that way sometimes

According to some user statistics is 87.113%*, you play the role of someone, thus; RPG. 😁

*I also like arse number pulls! The more decimal numbers, the more believable they are!

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Cool.  I get to be the one skeptic for this game so all that's left is to be pleasantly surprised rather than bitterly disappointed.

I don't know what category I fall under, but I could care less about how it turns out. I haven't played any of the Witcher games past the first one (and didn't finish that one), so I really have no expectations.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

15 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

From death threats, to 100 hour work weeks, to Kicinski belittling his own staff.  What the Hell is going on at CDPR?  They almost sound like Activision or EA now.

Not really. There has been a worrying rumours about CDPR vs it’s employees for a while now. And I don’t think one can look at massive game like Witcher3 and wonder how much work troopers had to put into it. CDPR has been always treating their customers well - unlike Activision or EA. It doesn’t mean that they treat their employees the same way. I think that 1) they might feel a bit more pressure after the success that was Witcher3 2) journalists and public might have a bigger interest in CDPR actions now that they are big. I don’t think many would care about same topics before W3 was released.

EDIT. Which reminds me back in Witcher1 days there was a story of devs sleeping in the office and working overtime for a prolonged amount of time to finish the game. At that time it was passionate devs completing their dream project. Now public is less favourable toward that kind of behaviour (be it self inflicted or via external pressure) and CDPR isn’t an inexperienced, first time game maker, but a commercially and critically successful AAA dev.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Turns out, putting out a vidja game is a non-trivial matter, especially one as large and complex as Cyberpunk 2077. Also, this may be the most hyped vidja game release since GTA V, so the company is, understandably, under INTENSE pressure and scrutiny. 

• Like 6

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

Not really. There has been a worrying rumours about CDPR vs it’s employees for a while now. And I don’t think one can look at massive game like Witcher3 and wonder how much work troopers had to put into it. CDPR has been always treating their customers well - unlike Activision or EA. It doesn’t mean that they treat their employees the same way. I think that 1) they might feel a bit more pressure after the success that was Witcher3 2) journalists and public might have a bigger interest in CDPR actions now that they are big. I don’t think many would care about same topics before W3 was released.

EDIT. Which reminds me back in Witcher1 days there was a story of devs sleeping in the office and working overtime for a prolonged amount of time to finish the game. At that time it was passionate devs completing their dream project. Now public is less favourable toward that kind of behaviour (be it self inflicted or via external pressure) and CDPR isn’t an inexperienced, first time game maker, but a commercially and critically successful AAA dev.

Hah, we got character who lived in the office. It was like in some horror movie when we were on night shift and you met him in middle of night in some random hallway xD

• Haha 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Turns out, putting out a vidja game is a non-trivial matter, especially one as large and complex as Cyberpunk 2077. Also, this may be the most hyped vidja game release since GTA V, so the company is, understandably, under INTENSE pressure and scrutiny. 

The comparison to Rockstar is a good one, as it sounds like they have created a similar workplace. But yeah, they've always done right by their fans, for the most part.

Yep, so they'll excuse anything. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra