Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

21 minutes ago, Elerond said:

In Finland they opened our apocalypse vaults (security of supply storages), in order to ensure that hospitals will not run out of protective gear, as for reasons those vaults contain among other things millions of surgical masks and protectors, which were running out until someone remembered that we actually have more than enough stored for in case of bad day. 😷

Imagine that, those emergency reserves we had here in Sweden were gotten rid of in the early 90's. We used to have thousands of respirators and ICU equipment incase **** hit the fan, but those cost savings man! I read somewhere that we've got among the lowest amount of ICU beds per capita in Europe.

Who could've thunk that **** would hit the fan though, imagine those savings!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 hours ago, Skarpen said:

In Poland the ruling party refuses to postpone predidential election which are scheduled for 10th May. A lot of backlash for this as candidates suspended their campaigns some time ago.

Very strange to not at least postpone ....the Olympics and 2020 WC in Qatar will both be postponed so Im surprised any government cant wait a few months for some election

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

24 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Very strange to not at least postpone ....the Olympics and 2020 WC in Qatar will both be postponed so Im surprised any government cant wait a few months for some election

In order to postpone they would have to implement constitutional state of emergency. For some reason they are not willing to do that.

166215__front.jpg

My local grocery store is doing a good job keeping things stocked. We went shopping yesterday and I found some paper products that I was looking for and the produce section was exceptionally full. Interestingly, the deli had stopped "cutting to order" and instead had pre-bagged various cuts of meat.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Fun Thought of the Day:  Everyone is used to lineups at the grocery store... usually, however, it is at the checkout line.. now, the lineups are to get in. LMAO

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's been bothering for days that they aren't showing COVID-19 cases as rates in the news. Rates per unit are typically how you show the amount of something to control for size differences. For example, New York City is the largest city in the United States, therefore it makes sense that they would have the most cases.

But, if we control for the size of the place, what does the spread look li...ke? I've attached a set of comparisons maps that show the difference. The top map is what they've had on a lot of websites, the bottom is what they should be doing. It shows that there are some real hot spots that are going unnoticed relative to their size, particularly in Colorado and in the south.

No photo description available.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

10 hours ago, algroth said:

Meanwhile pro-life politicians be like:

I mean seeing the rank hypocrisy from these leeches is always morbidly funny, but said grandparents are fine with their grandchildren living with 9 other people in a single bedroom apartment and no prospects to the point of actively opposing stuff like rent control, public healthcare, or student loan forgiveness so it seems to me the boomers couldn't care less about their kids' kids.

Anyways looks like there's a stay home order for Houston until April 3rd. Unfortunately it looks like my job is an "essential service" so I still have to make sure the bougies have their pools running. No overtime or hazard pay either.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So while the Swedish government is helping companies out in these times by helping paying wages and sickleave, Volvo decded that they're going to pay out about 1billion $ to the owners after laying off all their workers... ****ing ****.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

29 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'd expect a lot of that to come

Yep, if it's something they are good at it is finding loopholes.

24 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Governments should not pay a dime to companies who do huge shareholder payouts in these times.

Yeah, infact they should be forced to pay a hefty fine I think. 

30 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Yeah, infact they should be forced to pay a hefty fine I think. 

While I agree that those companies shouldn't get any support from government since they showed they have the finances to get by, I don't see any reason for a fine. What would be the grounds for doing so? They are not breaking the law. Being stupid is not a ground to be fined. Otherwise governments could drop all other taxes and swimm in money.

166215__front.jpg

3 hours ago, Skarpen said:

While I agree that those companies shouldn't get any support from government since they showed they have the finances to get by, I don't see any reason for a fine. What would be the grounds for doing so? They are not breaking the law. Being stupid is not a ground to be fined. Otherwise governments could drop all other taxes and swimm in money.

I'm not a lawyer so I don't know the exact definition of the law, but I'd say it would be the same as profiteering. We're in a state of emergency an they're trying to exploit the governments resources for their own profit. 

4 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Governments should not pay a dime to companies who do huge shareholder payouts in these times.

I think you are referring to stock buyback choices some companies did, not shareholder\dividend payouts and  yes its unethical as it utilizes extra money to artificially boost the share price when in fact extra  money should be kept in a  fund for exact;y this type of crisis where workers/staff may need to paid for 3 months but they arent able to generate revenue 

Paying out dividends now is just silly and massive waste of capital considering the reality of the global economy 

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela