People trolling the POE2 Steam site ...

I can understand why some people are mad (even if I'm not). But even if you are mad about the Outer Worlds going to the Epic Store - why go to PoE's or Deadfire's Steam pages and leave bad reviews there? That's the reasoning of imbeciles.

don't buy the offending product is so remote.  some folks need the instant gratification which comes from being part o' an internet crusade. the mob gets their due by posting scathing reviews for the evil corporate suits' other products. is perfect rational, as long as one assumes such reviews will hurt the nogoodniks who is deserving punishment.

you are correct that such thinking isn't particular reasonable, but looking for reasonableness from mobs, particular internet mobs where is no accountability, may be your mistake. 

HA! good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I can understand why some people are mad (even if I'm not). But even if you are mad about the Outer Worlds going to the Epic Store - why go to PoE's or Deadfire's Steam pages and leave bad reviews there? That's the reasoning of imbeciles.

Because Epic does not even have a review option, they have literally nothing. It's a vanilla steam and it will takes years to come close to the features what steam allready has, if they even plan to implent them.

Because Epic does not even have a review option, they have literally nothing. It's a vanilla steam and it will takes years to come close to the features what steam allready has, if they even plan to implent them.

It won't take years. It took Steam years because its owned by Valve.

And that's an excuse for infantile behavior? I think only being an infant is. Well maybe some of those people are infants after all... ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

And that's an excuse for infantile behavior? I think only being an infant is. Well maybe some of those people are infants after all... ;)

legally speaking, infants is those who ain't yet reached the age of majority.  minor = infant.  so infants is those who ain't yet 21... or 18. goes back to 15th century or so.

converse, infant in original common usage woulda' referred to those too young to speak, which would necessarily preclude the offending behaviors identified in the thread. 

however, such observations leaves boeroer post unaffected from our pov.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

i vaugely recall some devs reporting the review bomb as a reason to want off steam. is amusing that some people have registered their objection by justifying such claims. bullet, meet foot, i guess.

edit: regarding the leaving home thing. i was born on the divide between gen-x/millennial. i left asap, prob would have done so anyway due to personal tendencies but hand was forced as debt collectors were coming after my family. i got out of the way sharpish. have observed enough to believe that such flight was easier for me back then than it would be now.

tbh, my main concern is not that people are living with their folk at advanced age, is that people are living with their folk and *miserable*. if someone remains with their parents and everyone is happy with the situaion, then all power to them as far as im concerned.

Edited by Triple - A Foxy Lad
  • Like 2

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

I too would only allow good reviews. :yes:

we see gifted is channeling his inner roberto aguayo... again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF455bGsGU8

HA! Good Fun!

As you well display, creative interpretation is the rule of these days. Dont like something? "QQ, youre just ism-ing us.". :shrugz:

no "squee"?  or is a double-shibboleth like a double-negative being canceled out?  

haven't seen anybody, even on these boards which is gonna natural breed a fanboi following, suggest criticism should be silenced.  is all kinda places where folks may express their dismay and anger (righteous or otherwise) for the vile developer/publisher, including boards such as this one.  converse, express consternation regarding fake reviews o' a product otherwise unrelated to the issue which angers the mob is so complete not the same as demanding "only allow good reviews."

*chuckle*

and somehow suggest Gromnir of all people is part o' an effort to censor criticism is another miss.  

congrats. 

aiming for the trifecta?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

im sure anyone would love to get rid of negative criticism of themselves and construct all kinds of excuses to do so. the problem is review-bombing is making one of those excuses legitimate.

steam has created a highly visible and convenient way for folk to provide feedback, but its also created a system that can be subverted (competently or not) by people with questionable goals. even if ur a dev, nobly committed to facing the slings and arrows of internet criticism, u might want out of that particular quagmire.

• Like 1

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Oh Grom, why do we dance this dance all the time when the end is already preordained. You will take shots until you get smacked back, then you will run and QQ taddle to the other mods, then poor TN will be given the unenviable task of giving me another talking to, then I will have to abandon the conversation. You don't provide anything of value here so Ill just skip to the end. :thumbsup:

Oh Grom, why do we dance this dance all the time when the end is already preordained. You will take shots until you get smacked back, then you will run and QQ taddle to the other mods, then poor TN will be given the unenviable task of giving me another talking to, then I will have to abandon the conversation. You don't provide anything of value here so Ill just skip to the end. :thumbsup:

you managed to outdo self by resurrecting a month old topic.  since you went there, we would happily have this public seeing as how qifted has once again regressed to abandoning any pretense o' topic discussion.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106336-weird-random-interesting/?p=2146532

tn asked us both to stop, but only Gromnir did so.  rather than continuing a board tangent which had already received a mod warning, we asked tn via pm if we also got a chance at a parting shot.  am not gonna speak for tn, but we told him as far as we were concerned, the matter were ended.

is kinda funny that apparent the mod, and not Gromnir, is the one who seeming needs be moderated.

qq

squee

am happy to continue whatever thread relevant discussion you wish, but you invariably take us 'round the bend.  will you be shocked when mods need once again step in? 

im sure anyone would love to get rid of negative criticism of themselves and construct all kinds of excuses to do so. the problem is review-bombing is making one of those excuses legitimate.

steam has created a highly visible and convenient way for folk to provide feedback, but its also created a system that can be subverted (competently or not) by people with questionable goals. even if ur a dev, nobly committed to facing the slings and arrows of internet criticism, u might want out of that particular quagmire.

and that is the thing which gifted don't appear to understand.  is not negative reviews which is troublesome, but rather the subversion o' a feature for childish and arguable illegitimate reasons.  were more than a few bad steam reviews o' poe1 and poe2 which were generated before the tow kerfuffle, and those negative reviews did not have boeroer and others complaining 'bout subversion o' the system or infantile behavior.  heck, more than one developer has pointed out how negative reviews is often useful for future design... just as long as the reviews provide actionable critique and detail. Gromnir has spent far more posts criticizing obsidian design choices than praising, and am not thinking the folks angry at the tow steam response had our kinda negativity in mind when chastising the slew o' new terribad poe and poe2 reviews.

bad reviews clear ain't at the issue.  is silly straw man nonsense to suggest such.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Everything was on topic until your post 161. You dont seem to get that taking shots at people and then hiding behind skirts is punkish behavior. You know, like when you go back and edit quotes after the fact. Ah well, after this many years I don't expect you to suddenly snap into lucidity.

On topic; how does one go about letting the genuine negative review through vice the review bomb? You cant, so here we are.

Everything was on topic until your post 161. You dont seem to get that taking shots at people and then hiding behind skirts is punkish behavior. You know, like when you go back and edit quotes after the fact. Ah well, after this many years I don't expect you to suddenly snap into lucidity.

On topic; how does one go about letting the genuine negative review through vice the review bomb? You cant, so here we are.

*chuckle*

were on-topic at 161, but somebody were so sensitive they couldn't maintain composure, and so here we are... again.  weren't Gromnir who fired up the way-back machine.  sure weren't us who brought up tn.  you got rebuked by mods, learned nothing, and still blame others?

HA!

so here we are... again. how much longer 'fore history repeats?

and once more, weren't the negative reviews which caused the problem you indicate. negative reviews had been happening for months and even years.  if there were a desire to "only allow good reviews," the problem woulda' existed long 'fore the tow announcements. nobody has  suggested at any point in this thread (or elsewhere as far as we has seen,) that "only allow good reviews," is a solution or goal.  straw man. 

HA! Good Fun!

Yesterday I read that Steam is now able to filter out those crackbrained reviews. Don't know how - maybe they just let some poor guys moderate them.

Apparently there are/were a ton of such reviews whose authors were all motivated by the current "Now exclusive on Epic Store" frustration. The double middle finger ascii "art" was very common...

Could be using a script to pick up posts/edits that reference the Epic Store and deleting or sending to moderating teams.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yesterday I read that Steam is now able to filter out those crackbrained reviews. Don't know how - maybe they just let some poor guys moderate them.

so the bogeyman is not real?  folks may still complain 'bout poe2 penetration and/or bugs, but the response which amount to an inarticulate grunt is being censored, yes?

sure, am suspecting a few torq'd and rabid  schnooks will find ways to circumvent.  copy& paste a genuine review and then add a basement score?  doubt steam goes to carnivore software kinda extremes to root out the vandals.  

as an aside, and not directed at boeroer, we may return and edit spelling, punctuation and grammar errors in this post as am a habitual post editor.  heck, sometimes we even change video links if first attempt doesn't work as expected. seeing as such edits result in  time and date stamps when we make such corrections, is hardly as if am being sneaky 'bout it.

*imagine an eye-roll emoticon here*

HA! Good Fun!

If I understood correctly, those "special" reviews will not even get removed, but they won't count towards the overall rating anymore.

Damn I can't find the article now. Did I accidentially delete my browser history?

However - please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Edited by Boeroer

This thread is weird. It's also mildly entertaining and a good example on how people communicate in different styles, particularly Gromnir with his distinct style.

Amazon and IMDB's commen style "X people likes this review", seems a good usable pointer for me. And I do believe that most people see through ****-fake reviews.

But yeah, review sections could use some anal automatic algorithmic min-maxing.

Edit: Yeah, i mainly commented because of the last line. I'm that self-absorbed. :D

Edited by Frak
  • Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!